Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by xxM5xx View Post
Question related to this thread. In a Windows PC you can pull up task manager and see what processes / applications are running..... is there an equivalent function on the N800??
Install Maemo.org>Downloads>CPU/Mem/Screenshot applet, the program is called load-applet, chances are it is already in your "Browse installable applications" repositories. After installation, you will see two icons like the battery icon on your right hand corner. Click the icons, they have "List processes"

Enjoy,

bun

Originally Posted by tolou View Post
For just a few files, like images or mp3īs, I find the bluetooth file transfer outstanding. Just pair the units up and then dragīn drop with your PC 'Bluetooth Exchange folder' from within the N800 Filemanager.

i DID most of my file transfer using BT, but I dont quite like it. The caveat, it is one file at a time. Has anybody figure out a way to do a folder transfer? Or some trick to make several small files together and BT it then split them afterward? Especially a folder of say, 20 some mp3s, I dont mind the transfer time, it does not bother me, but attend to three keypresses every 2-3 minutes for 20 times.........the BT transfer is ******ed for a folder of many files. I do it for say one to two files, and, i dont really care about the size. More than that, depends on the size, i may "sneaker net" (I learned this today, thanks) for big file or USB for small files. Hey, dont get me wrong, as I stated at the beginning, I did BT quite often too, i just hate this one file at a time business.

EDIT: I forget to mention, I am using my 770 for my business which requires inventory list 3 or 4 times a day enter into the 770, and then dl to my PC an excel file everyday, I use only BT, but that is one file and is the same file everytime, that I have to say, BT rocks.
bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2007-10-28 at 18:41.

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
Install Maemo.org>Downloads>CPU/Mem/Screenshot applet, the program is called load-applet, chances are it is already in your "Browse installable applications" repositories. After installation, you will see two icons like the battery icon on your right hand corner. Click the icons, they have "List processes"

Enjoy,

bun
Thanks Man. It wasn't in my repos. list but I found it here:

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/load-applet/

Unfortunately, I get the following error when trying to install it to my N800-

"Unable to install.
Application package is incompatible with current software."

Any guesses why?

Thank you in advance. M5

Thanks Man. It wasn't in my repos. list but I found it here:

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/load-applet/

Unfortunately, I get the following error when trying to install it to my N800-

"Unable to install.
Application package is incompatible with current software."

Any guesses why?

Thank you in advance. M5
I am also running N800, the next to the newest OS 4.2007.26-8. Mine is brand new though, just got it on Friday. You mind to go Menu>Tools>App manager>Tools>Log... and see which is the problem. We will figure it out

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
log has no entry, all it says at the top when I open it is:

osso-application-installer 4.46, UI version 2

~~~~~~

I have had my N800 approx 2 weeks...the first day I got it I flashed to the latest firmware avialable that day ( which was / is 4.2007.38-2 ). Your firmware is earlier than my firmware. That might be the difference. CPU/MEM/Screenshot Load-applet is not in my list of installable apps so I suspect Nokia might have intentionally left it out of my list because they know it is not installable?

I went to the link I provided and that is where I got the load-applet. I copied it (downloaded it from the Maemo site) to my removable SD card, then double clicked to try and install it (like I have done with numerous other apps). That is when I see the error message.

~~~~~~~~~

I am looking forward to OS2008 if it will support Bluetooth headset support ( and it is supposed to ), but I am concerned that many applications will not work until ported to OS2008. Can anyone with a pre-released N810 tell us about bluetooth support / functionality on the N810 with OS2008? Is there a way to see what processes are running on an N810?

~~~~

I don't know if I am real happy about losing Opera.

~~~~

I'm off on tangents mentally. Off thread. Sorry.

~~~~

EDIT: I just went back to the maemo site and looked closer at the CPU/MEM/Screenshot app. It is for OS2006, not OS2007. I feel you could not have successfully installed it on your OS2007 N800 either. Looks like no one can. Any other ideas on how I can see what processes are running on my N800? I want to be able to see if x11VNC is running or off.

Thanks

Last edited by xxM5xx; 2007-10-29 at 03:12.

log has no entry, all it says at the top when I open it is:

osso-application-installer 4.46, UI version 2

~~~~~~

I have had my N800 approx 2 weeks...the first day I got it I flashed to the latest firmware avialable that day ( which was / is 4.2007.38-2 ). Your firmware is earlier than my firmware. That might be the difference. CPU/MEM/Screenshot Load-applet is not in my list of installable apps so I suspect Nokia might have intentionally left it out of my list because they know it is not installable?

I went to the link I provided and that is where I got the load-applet. I copied it (downloaded it from the Maemo site) to my removable SD card, then double clicked to try and install it (like I have done with numerous other apps). That is when I see the error message.

~~~~~~~~~

I am looking forward to OS2008 if it will support Bluetooth headset support ( and it is supposed to ), but I am concerned that many applications will not work until ported to OS2008. Can anyone with a pre-released N810 tell us about bluetooth support / functionality on the N810 with OS2008? Is there a way to see what processes are running on an N810?

~~~~

I don't know if I am real happy about losing Opera.

~~~~

I'm off on tangents mentally. Off thread. Sorry.

~~~~

EDIT: I just went back to the maemo site and looked closer at the CPU/MEM/Screenshot app. It is for OS2006, not OS2007. I feel you could not have successfully installed it on your OS2007 N800 either. Looks like no one can. Any other ideas on how I can see what processes are running on my N800? I want to be able to see if x11VNC is running or off.

Thanks

I am sorry that you felt bad. I hope tomorrow is going to be better, cheer up pal.
I figured out what is going on. I ran into some unrelated problem and have to reflash the whole thing. After that I installed the load app-let, guess what, I have the same problem, unable to install. Then I realize I was having X11VNC goin on! I turned X11VNC off, it installed without a glitch. Because of this, I also figure out a way to tell whether the X11VNC is on. You click your tightVNC connect, if it failed, your X11VNC is off. How do you like that? In fact, that is how I find out the dumb x11VNC is in the way of my installation! Again, try to turn off the VNC see whether you can then install. It is a very small utility, should not be in conflict with a lot of other programs. Please post back if questions. Hope you feel much better tomorrow, a brand new week BTW, I have installed quite some 2006 apps, they are just fine. This includes simple launcher (now they included 2007)

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2007-10-29 at 03:34.

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
The caveat, it is one file at a time. Has anybody figure out a way to do a folder transfer? Or some trick to make several small files together and BT it then split them afterward? Especially a folder of say, 20 some mp3s, I dont mind the transfer time, it does not bother me, but attend to three keypresses every 2-3 minutes for 20 times.........
Well, as I said: Itīs N800 File manager dragīn drop style. That is multiple selection by pressing screen while doing drag select. Then just drop into destination folder. Yes, it will process one at a time but no need to interact with that, just wait (patiently). Main issue is the Filemanager wantīs to 'Move' files by default, not copy. To copy you will need to Copy/paste as opposed to drag'n drop but quite as useful.

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Paia, Maui, Hawaii
Question related to this thread. In a Windows PC you can pull up task manager and see what processes / applications are running..... is there an equivalent function on the N800?? Thanks. I ask because it is not obvious when x11VNC server is running on the N800, and I am concerned it might drain my N800 battery quicker if x11VNC is running generating WiFi data traffic, when I think the N800 is really in low power standby. I'd like a way to know if X11VNC is running. Regards.
here are a few ways you could do that xxM5xx:

1) Install Xterm
- Type: pidof x11vnc
If X11VNC is running it gives you the proces# (e.g. 3089)
and if not just blank space

- To see all the processes type: ps
If X11VNC is running you will see an entry containing:
/usr/bin/x11vnc

Xterm is a must have in my opinion.

2) For a GUI you can install Maemo Process Viewer

3) You can also use osso-statusbar-cpu for this purpose.[old screenshots]; but x11vnc will only show up if it is one of the top 3 resource users.

Posts: 193 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Paia, Maui, Hawaii
Yes, I initially had the three left icons on the N800 inaccessible from the PC.... I say intially because my Compaq Desktop PC and a Compaq notebook exhibited the inaccessibility, HOWEVER (and something I cannot explain) another of my Compaq notebooks here DID ALLOW access to the three N800 icons when I pressed the F3 key on the notebook. The Compaq desktop and the other Compaq notebook ignored the F3 key in TightVNC. I would not call that erratic but it is inconsistent. All of my Windows PCs for this test were running the exact same Windows XP Pro OS......really weird how only one of them allowed F3 in TightVNC to work the way it did, and that is important because without access to the three icons on the N800 left from the viewer (remote PC) you need to have the N800 within reach.....

Some more key bindings:
http://www.rwhitby.net/blog/n800/usi...okia-n800.html

F3 Selects the Applications icon in the task navigator
F4 Opens the menu for the current application
F6 Toggles full screen mode
F7 Same as the + button
F8 Same as the - button
F9 Selects the application switcher (the >> button in the left hand bottom corner)

continuing adventures in x11vlc:

It loads erratically. It only starts on the Nokia about one time in three, if the process viewer I'm using is accurate. Most of the time the PC connects when the process is running, so that's an improvement, and suggests that the problems I've been having involve a failure to launch, so to speak.

The Nokia server unloads when you end the session by closing the PC window. Network problems that interrupt the connection also cause it to unload.

On the Nokia it appears to be slightly more reliable with a fixed IP address on my home network. However, switching to a fixed IP address for some reason seems to mess up my email, which I've set up with Google POP mail as the incoming client, and Verizon as the outgoing client. Oddly I can have same IP address assigned by the server, and email is fine, only when I set it to a fixed IP do I have a problem.

Screen controls are problematic. F3 solves the problem of getting at the left-side menus. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a key that will let me edit the URL of a web page. This is a real deal breaker.

One last unrelated question: is there anything out there that will synchronize a web-based todo list (or even a file, like on Google) with the Nokia? I thought maybe I could make something work with Google calendar but I'm having exactly the same problems with Python runtime as a half-dozen other people here have discussed.

On the upside, email and RSS are wonderful, and the Nokia has given my ROKU music server, which has a dismal remote control, a whole new lease on life.