Active Topics

I just picked up a new N800. I know nothing but looking at this site with the extreme amount of information - frankly - I'm scared. I have figured out a lot on my own but would like to cut right to the chase on this question -
How do I tranfer images and mp3's via WIFI from my XP Pro PC to the N800 ?
I have 2 giggs onboard and 2 giggs removable.

Thanks for the help and I enjoy being with a group that recognizes internet tablets are way cool. Hopefully I have reluctantly dropped my NoteBook into the Grey tray at the airport for the last time.
Johni

Wait one month for SMB-Support in OS2008

Ar-ras, Could you explain - and thanks for the reply. /ji

There are a number of ways that you could accomplish this, ranging from ftp to cifs, rsync, etc. I believe fanoush has cifs kernel modules on his website which would allow you to use standard windows file sharing to transfer files to/from the n800.

http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/

You might also take a look at Orb, which lets you access all your PC's media content remotely on the N800...as long as you have an internet connection. One thing you might want to consider when transfering data to the n800 is that the wireless is going to limit you to a fraction of a MB/second transfer speeds. You may be better off simply sticking a SDHC card in a reader and plugging it into your XP machine, at least for large files.

Next month OS2008 will be released. OS2008 will (hopefully) contain native Samba-Support (aka Windows File Network File System). Then you can use it like network drives. Vice Versa

Rocketman - Ar-ras / Thank you both. I very much appreciate it. I will continue to monitor and learn. Contact me anytime. Thanks again. //
John in Salem, Oregon

The Following User Says Thank You to johni58 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 354 | Thanked: 93 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ New York
Originally Posted by johni58 View Post
I just picked up a new N800. I know nothing but looking at this site with the extreme amount of information - frankly - I'm scared. I have figured out a lot on my own but would like to cut right to the chase on this question -
How do I tranfer images and mp3's via WIFI from my XP Pro PC to the N800 ?
I have 2 giggs onboard and 2 giggs removable.

Thanks for the help and I enjoy being with a group that recognizes internet tablets are way cool. Hopefully I have reluctantly dropped my NoteBook into the Grey tray at the airport for the last time.
Johni
You did say you wanted to xfer files ( images and MP3 ) via WiFi from your XP Pro Windows computer to the N800. There is a powerful software I have been playing around with today that allows exactly that and more. http://mike.saunby.googlepages.com/x11vncfornokia7702 will allow file transfers from a Windows computer to the N800 without any wires, via WiFi. What you do is install the TightVNC viewer for Windows on a Micro$oft computer in your LAN, and install the x11VNC application on the Nokia N800. Follow the instruction provided on the webpage link above.

Once you have the Windows computer connected it is very intuitive (at least I thought so). You can use your desktop computer keyboard and mouse to use the N800 file manager, use your desktop computer to open and close applications remotely on the N800, even operate application remotely from the desktop computers mouse and full size hardware keyboard. It is a riot to play with. I particularly enjoy this while running FREE42, meamo mapper, Sketch, Notes, and while browsing the Internet using my fullsize mechanical / non-bluetooth keyboard virtually tied to the Nokia N800.

On the Windows VNC side (TightVNC) the 9th icon from the left (up top) is what you click on to perform a wireless file transfer (in either direction) between the two machines. That icon looks like two sheets of paper. Please note if you have TightVNC in fullscreen mode you will not see this icon. To toggle Fullscreen on / off press Cntrl-Alt-Shft-F on the Windows computer keyboard. Using your Windows computer's mouse, click on the file transfer icon and the screen which opens looks like your typical FTP program screen. It is very simple to do, and it requires no USB ports, cables, etc. This method of file transfer also DOES NOT use BlueTooth. This WiFi / LAN / Internet method of file transfer can be performed over great distances (where BlueTooth has to be very nearby).

Sure there are ways to do file transfers with bluetooth but you did specifically say you wanted to use WiFi, --and-- this VNC jazz facilitates remote controlling the N800 with a real mouse and a real fullsize QWERTY keyboard and doing so over long distances.

Give this VNC thing a try. It does the wireless file transfers you asked for and a whole lot more. I was using Skype and the GizmoProject today on my Nokia N800, and I wasn't touching the N800 the entire time.... I was controlling the VOIP applications running on the N800 using my desktop's USB mouse and full keyboard with VNC. It is a no brainer. Regards, M5

<....This type thing is not restricted to a Windows XP system, this VNC stuff can be done between a Linux laptop / desktop and the Nokia N800 also. For more about Virtual Network Computing / Virtual Network Control read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VNC. If the above doesn't sound like something you want to fool with, moving SD cards physically between the N800 external slot and Windows computers SD slot, or a SD card reader is one option. In the old days we called this "sneaker net" because you walked with a floppy disk in hand from computer to computer inserting the media manually. It is a piece of cake to use the USB cable between Windows XP and the N800 to move data files around also. Low tech, but effective. ENJOY>

Last edited by xxM5xx; 2007-10-26 at 05:35. Reason: addendum

The Following User Says Thank You to xxM5xx For This Useful Post:
Cant you use the USB cable?

xxm5xx and mrlanrat - thanks. This sounds like something good to look at. I am familar with VNC but not on the N800. I have 8 machines on one LAN and one TerraStation. I very much like the idea of "no wire" file transfer. I hate to have to dig out the cable each time or pull the mmc. My local machine is inside a cabinet with a big door. I will probably switch MP3's and Jpgs often to the 800. Thanks all. //ji

Posts: 114 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Norway / Tromsų
uhm.. 2gb onboard. Is that not just N810 that got 2gb onboard?
--