LVTT:

Apparently, even things taken for granted on a PC -- like changing the wallpaper -- requires root. I don't see what devs can do about that. Too much is still up to Nokia.

Keyboard support OK? Are you not reading? Repeating characters make all keyboards a pain to use. Someone else said this was a Debian issue but I find that impossible to believe. What, people using Debian on desktops don't use keyboards?

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Mike Cane
LVTT:

Apparently, even things taken for granted on a PC -- like changing the wallpaper -- requires root. I don't see what devs can do about that. Too much is still up to Nokia.

Keyboard support OK? Are you not reading? Repeating characters make all keyboards a pain to use. Someone else said this was a Debian issue but I find that impossible to believe. What, people using Debian on desktops don't use keyboards?
Create a bug in bugzilla and get people to vote for it would be my advice - that would be far more constructive than whinging on here.

Here's an enhancement request for USB mode as a control panel applet, vote for it if it floats your boat.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Apparently, even things taken for granted on a PC -- like changing the wallpaper -- requires root.
I've changed the wallpaper on mine from the GUI. No problems. No root. In fact, it's so trivial it's almost as if you're trolling!
  1. Bring up the Home screen.
  2. Click on the titlebar to bring up its menu (or press the hardware Menu key).
  3. Select Screen > Set background image....
  4. Select the image you want and click OK.

Keyboard support OK? Are you not reading? Repeating characters make all keyboards a pain to use.
As in you can't get them to repeat, or they repeat too often? I've certainly seen keys get stuck with a USB keyboard on various operating systems, but I'm not convinced it's not my KVM.

As Millhouse says, make sure there's a bug open for it in Bugzilla - it may not appear to get acted on, but they are reading them.

Cheers,

Andrew

Here's something strange. When I was hacking together my USB kit to connect the keyboard, the "does it work" testing I did showed the occasional repeating/stuttering, which I reported.

Yesterday I started working on an xmodmap file that would map keys to the actual layout of my keyboard... this is another level of strangeness altogether, and I don't claim to understand any of it ; but the thing is, this entailed several lenghty "where's-my-key" testing sessions, and during the entire process, I don't think there was *one* repeated keystroke...

Dunno if it's anything to do with xmodmap itself, or if it's one of those phase-of-the-moon-type coincidences, though.

On my ThinkOutside bluetooth keyboard, depending on the moon phase, it will randomly decide to do lots of key repeats. I'm not sure what's going on, but it is a bit frustrating at times. Other times the keyboard's just perfect. It only does this on the 770.

@ desktop:

aflegg: Yes. Noted that in the "blog." I never got back here to update. See screensnaps I posted in the Gallery.

Those of you with keyboards: Have you also installed that *keyboard driver* Roger mentions somewhere else around here? I haven't yet. Maybe that would stop some of the repeats I'm having.

No, I haven't, as I thought it was only for BT keyboards. I saw in another thread that it could also benefit USB keyboards by preventing screen blanking, so I'll give it a try...