Posts: 249 | Thanked: 277 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Brighton, UK
I'm going on a long flight soon, and as my N900 is music player, and there are no power points in economy, I bought a 20,000 mAh power bank. It's quite snazzy, and works well.

Weirdly though, not with my N900. I plug it in, the power bank detects it, the N900 doesn't start charging, so the power bank switches itself off again. I've tried with normal USB cables and charging ones with no data lines. Same behaviour...the N900 just doesn't seem to draw any current, so the bank switches off.

Any thoughts/ideas?

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_jrt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
It's a complicated matter. Does N900 charge itself from PC, through USB cable? If yes, then does N900 fail to draw current from the bank when N900 is connected to the bank by the same USB cable? If yes, then can you compare {power given by the bank to N900 before the bank switches off} with {power given by PC to N900 while charging}? Maybe, N900 doesn't recognise the bank as charger? Because N900 has to differentiate between low current of PC-charging, and higher current of adapter-charging, and the bank apparently resembles neither of them.
Best wishes. Bumping the thread...

Posts: 249 | Thanked: 277 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Brighton, UK
Having tried my 2nd N900 (which was off) which worked, I swapped them over and my N900 still didn't charge. I restarted it, and it charged when off. It then booted and continued to charge. I then unplugged it, waited for the bank to deactivate, then plugged it back in and it now charges.

BME glitches I suspect. Incidentally, it was plugged into a wall charger overnight and my morning alarms were mixed in with low battery beeps. It does this occasionally, really quite annoying. Cheers for the help though!

PS, the bank has charge two ports, a 2.1A one and a 1A one, very snazzy

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_jrt For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
You may have to short the data pins of your cable. Search for N900 and dumb charger

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 176 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California
I have one which has 4 ports. The N900 only charges when plugged in to the 2.1A and 1.0A ports.

edit: I also carry a spare battery on the longer trips just in case.

Last edited by whayong; 2013-04-13 at 16:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to whayong For This Useful Post:

Tags
charging, power bank