Posts: 145 | Thanked: 20 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Seattle, WA USA
Have I got some kind of weird n800? I just hook the USB cable from the PC to the n800 and it mounts both SD cards as a USB file system.

Works that way under both linux and wincrap

Originally Posted by xxM5xx View Post
You did say you wanted to xfer files ( images and MP3 ) via WiFi from your XP Pro Windows computer to the N800. There is a powerful software I have been playing around with today that allows exactly that and more. http://mike.saunby.googlepages.com/x11vncfornokia7702 will allow file transfers from a Windows computer to the N800 without any wires, via WiFi. What you do is install the TightVNC viewer for Windows on a Micro$oft computer in your LAN, and install the x11VNC application on the Nokia N800. Follow the instruction provided on the webpage link above.

Once you have the Windows computer connected it is very intuitive (at least I thought so). You can use your desktop computer keyboard and mouse to use the N800 file manager, use your desktop computer to open and close applications remotely on the N800, even operate application remotely from the desktop computers mouse and full size hardware keyboard. It is a riot to play with. I particularly enjoy this while running FREE42, meamo mapper, Sketch, Notes, and while browsing the Internet using my fullsize mechanical / non-bluetooth keyboard virtually tied to the Nokia N800.

On the Windows VNC side (TightVNC) the 9th icon from the left (up top) is what you click on to perform a wireless file transfer (in either direction) between the two machines. That icon looks like two sheets of paper. Please note if you have TightVNC in fullscreen mode you will not see this icon. To toggle Fullscreen on / off press Cntrl-Alt-Shft-F on the Windows computer keyboard. Using your Windows computer's mouse, click on the file transfer icon and the screen which opens looks like your typical FTP program screen. It is very simple to do, and it requires no USB ports, cables, etc. This method of file transfer also DOES NOT use BlueTooth. This WiFi / LAN / Internet method of file transfer can be performed over great distances (where BlueTooth has to be very nearby).

Sure there are ways to do file transfers with bluetooth but you did specifically say you wanted to use WiFi, --and-- this VNC jazz facilitates remote controlling the N800 with a real mouse and a real fullsize QWERTY keyboard and doing so over long distances.

Give this VNC thing a try. It does the wireless file transfers you asked for and a whole lot more. I was using Skype and the GizmoProject today on my Nokia N800, and I wasn't touching the N800 the entire time.... I was controlling the VOIP applications running on the N800 using my desktop's USB mouse and full keyboard with VNC. It is a no brainer. Regards, M5

<....This type thing is not restricted to a Windows XP system, this VNC stuff can be done between a Linux laptop / desktop and the Nokia N800 also. For more about Virtual Network Computing / Virtual Network Control read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VNC. If the above doesn't sound like something you want to fool with, moving SD cards physically between the N800 external slot and Windows computers SD slot, or a SD card reader is one option. In the old days we called this "sneaker net" because you walked with a floppy disk in hand from computer to computer inserting the media manually. It is a piece of cake to use the USB cable between Windows XP and the N800 to move data files around also. Low tech, but effective. ENJOY>
This works great on my Vista computer and N800, but for some reason the file transfer button icon is disabled, so I can't do wireless file transfer.

Originally Posted by ezhill View Post
This works great on my Vista computer and N800, but for some reason the file transfer button icon is disabled, so I can't do wireless file transfer.
Hi, first time poster and still learning about my new toy. I have searched for this answer but haven't found anything so please be nice :-)

I too am having the same trouble as others on this thread in that VNC file transfer doesn't seem to work. Could it be a quirk with the OS2008 version?

Browsing to a samba share works great though :-)

Thanks for a great tool.

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ USA NEW JERSEY
Good Im Glad Im Not The Only One Who Cant Figure Out How To Do This . Ive Tried Reading The How To But Quite Frankly I Dont Understand Them. I Have No Idea What A Kernal Is . I'm Used To Getting A Cd With My Computers And Popping It In And Out And All Is Done.

It's working great on my XP desktop, but the file transfer button is deactivated, as others have noted. Still, it makes for a nice interface to the N800. I like it.

A better way to transfer files is to install open-ssh on the N800 and Winscp on Windows. It gives you a dual pane file explorer for drag and drop convenience. You can read about it in this thread http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=14909