Active Topics

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Canada
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Karel is our best noob filter.
One thing is for sure, I do not laugh more reading any other forum!

But really Karel was a bit hard on James IMHO

How do I format an SD card in the N800?
In the File Manager (usually found in Utilities), find the card you want to format. Click-and-hold to get a the context menu. One of the options is to format. NOTE that the format option will not be given if you are using the internal card for extending 'on-board' memory (done via Control Panel and Memory).

How do I create a shortcut in the "start" menu for an installed program which does not appear to have created one itself (for example the FM Radio), or does this indicate that something went wrong with the install, despite an affirmation at the end of the install process?
Shortcuts can be created BUT it take know how and xterm. You can start by looking at existing ones (if your brave) in /usr/share/applications/hildon/*.desktop files. Oh, did I mention you'll need to do a bit of research?

Why can't I read my media from the N800 in Windows?
I suspect the Media you refer to is what is stored internally (see /home/user/MyDocs/.* in xterm) - copy it to one of your SD cards and you will be able to see it.

Can I download the sourcecode for any applications and try compiling them on the N800?
The best on-board development you can probably do is Python (which is quit powerful and has a lot of libs and hooks into the Maemo env). Ruby is another option but not for the faint of heart - at least not to install. I've heard gcc may work for creating cmd-line only apps (haven't done it yet). There is NO GUI or IDE support on the IT (that I know of) - about the only syntax hi-lighting editor is PyGTKEdit. Even a good vi editor is not available yet (gvim would be nice). All of these are available in the VNWare appliance the Karel spoke of. It will run on either a WIndows or Linux PC with a free VMWare player or the free VMWare server.

That's my 2cents

Originally Posted by thoughtfix View Post
Yes, something has. It's still a work in progress.
Thanks for your work on this Daniel

For me who know almost nothing about linux, what confuses me most are the jargons. When I first saw 'repos', I thought 'repossessed properties'??! So it's no surprise that it's hard for me to even think of the search term for what I want to know about sometimes.. let alone understand the instruction once found.

Anyway.. here's my questions;

How do I access n800 from my PC with ssh? (I already installed xterm and openssh client/server -- but don't know what to do with them after that...)

P.S. My goal is to enable n800 to read Thai (and perhaps other foreign languages later if I ever manage to succeed the first one). I don't need to be able to type Thai or anything.. I'm happy as long as I can just read Thai web pages. Bonus points if I could also read Thai in other applications (chat.. maybe?)

You will need a ssh 'client' (software) on your PC. Putty is a very good and common program for Windows and Linux (Mac even?) - google it.
You will need to know the IP (Internet protocol) address of you N800. Get this by running xterm (while your connected to the same network your PC is on, of course) and typing "/sbin/ifconfig[Enter]" at the ..$ prompt, and look for "inet addr: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx". You will have entere this address into Putty for "Hostname (or IP address)" and click [Connect]. That should get you a window with a login prompt. Login as user "root" and passwd "rootme".
Now you have a xterm-like session running on your PC but 'served' from the N800. This is known as system-level or command line interface (CLI). You'll need to learn some Unix commands to do anything useful.
Now sure how it will help you with your Thai needs, but that's how ssh sessions are done.

EDIT: BTW the inet addr you want is the one listed after "wlan0" not 127.0.0.1 - that is an address that always represents the machine itself (known as localhost).

Last edited by kgingeri; 2007-12-24 at 05:42.