Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by fms View Post
That basically ends up with a choice between premature blindness or carpal tunnel syndrome from constantly turning "pages".
You left out the option of a severe traffic accident before either of the two sets in

PS. Frank, don't take this too seriously. Everybody understood your point (and probably agreed to a certain extent), it's just that we're such a bunch of jokers

Posts: 398 | Thanked: 301 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Texas
It's all good.

For the record, my "pages" certainly aren't book pages. On my Treo 700p and the current book I'm reading, the font size allows 6 sentences on the random page that it happened to be on.

Frank

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
When you are quickly scanning through a book for information (not a specific word, but ideas like what the plot is), a big page is a big advantage. When you are looking above to refresh your memory ("who is this jim character?") a big page is a great help.

If I am trying to quickly go thru a book for basic information, I will pick a physical book every time, UNLESS I am looking for a specific string, like someone's name. It is just so fast with a physical book to find the next chapter, then flip back to the beginning of the book, then check the last line, etc.

I got hooked on FBreader on the N800 when Tor was promoting their unlaunched website by giving away non-DRM ebooks from their sci-fi and fantasy catalog. I read all of the freebies and after tor.com was launched, the freebies dried up and Tor doesn't (yet?) have an ebook store. So I started buying e-books at fictionwise.com, which has a large catalog with quite a few books in non-DRM formats. The latest bestsellers are DRM'ed, so it's not exactly the same books you can get on a Kindle, but there's a good selection that is compatible with FBreader on the N800.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Just out of curiosity. Would you think a feature of searching/browsing/obtaining the (free) book from a reader itself would be important for any of you ? So, for example, you could browse among the books available on project gutenberg, scribd or any other site you prefer and have them copied/converted to a local file in adequate format on the fly ? Possibly share ratings, check on new books ?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
attila77

i say yes, and I have an example of how its starting to take shape in my video.
i do a search for "niven" and I get all available book covers and book texts ready for reading in liqbase.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt7qB37sLLo

Posts: 75 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Silicon Valley
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post

I am sorry, did you even try one of those? I mean, not the Kindle (a.k.a. a child's toy).

I use my N810 as an ebook reader during my daily 15 minute tube ride (actually, four times a day) -- perfect for that, smaller than a dedicated ebook reader.
But as soon as I get out of the tube, the N810 becomes _unusable_. Virtually unreadable under the sun. Black over white, white over black, red over black, you name it: it sucks.

Amazon's trying to compete within the "real books" market; they're not wanting to displace phones or PDAs. Just dare to market the N810 as a "real book replacement".
Yes, I wouldn't say something sucks without first trying it.
I will state however our use cases do differ. I never read ebooks in full noon directly overhead sun where I can not shade the screen. I can always turn my body or find a tree to stand under to read. In full sun directly on the screen, I'll willingly concede that the e-ink displays are vastly superior. For my use case, I'm frequently reading in the office, car, man's study , bed, and where ever the wife says "I'll be ready in 5 minutes" so I can get a good 30 minutes of reading time. Most of these situations have lighting that's not so great. E-Ink does not have any backlighting, save the crappy side lighting on a Sony model. So for my use case, N810 wins with much better readability and no extra book-light required. Everything I need to read at any time is always in my pocket.

Flights from right <-> left USA coasts reading the whole way and had plenty of battery left. 13 hour flight from left coast to Asia is also no problem. I never have any battery issues with my N810 and it lasts much longer than my prior Palm devices.

Regarding the comic; as funny as it was, my shelves are already overflowing with paper books. I don't want more shelves.

My ebooks are purchased, DRM stripped, and converted into HTML in 30 minutes or less (depending on how much MS Word crap is left after HTML tidy). HTML files mean I can archive the book and it's readable on any device past, present, and future from my N810 to my wife's iPhooey running stanza. I'd love to see improvements/alternative HTML format book readers; only wish I could code myself out of a wet paper bag and help...

The Following User Says Thank You to speednut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 258 | Thanked: 176 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Paris France
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
But as soon as I get out of the tube, the N810 becomes _unusable_. Virtually unreadable under the sun. Black over white, white over black, red over black, you name it: it sucks.
Frankly i don't understand !
Are we talking about the same N810 ?

MINE IS PERFECTLY READABLE UNDER THE SUN.

Its reflective screen is the main reason why i bought it after getting a N800.

With FB reader, I generally use white text on black background but under the sun, I go back to usual White on black and it's a pleasure to use, even lying on the grass in full sunny afternoon.

Obviously, then, i completely deactivate the backlight and so get even more battery life.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Just out of curiosity. Would you think a feature of searching/browsing/obtaining the (free) book from a reader itself would be important for any of you ? So, for example, you could browse among the books available on project gutenberg, scribd or any other site you prefer and have them copied/converted to a local file in adequate format on the fly ? Possibly share ratings, check on new books ?
Of course. FBreader has the ability to grab Project Gutenberg books now, and it is very handy.

I think the way to fight Kindle is to emphasize FREE books, but also give the ability to buy books at a good price.

The text-to-speech aspect that Kindles now have is also important.

By the way, Roger S, if you are reading this thread, I got another cool voice, called Serena. She has a British accent and is very impressive. I'm relistening to Sherlock Holmes stories and it works very well.

But for the moment it appears that Nokia has flushed ebooks away, so I think we will have to turn elsewhere if we like ebooks. As has been said zillions of times now, ebook reading is just a niche.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Southern Oregon Coast
Someone mentioned that the Kindle Mobi version works with FBReader and that getting them from Amazon would work fine.

I went to Amazon and you have to download directly to your Kindle to get these ebooks.

Well, if you don't have an actual Kindle...See my dilemma?

Ideas?