Active Topics

Notices

Here is a build of links2 that I put together. If you are in doubt about having a speedy browser on you N8x0, give this a try.

NEW BUILD: includes dblank's cookie patch
NEW BUILD: includes additional item in link select menu

ftp://headthirst.com/pub/links2.tar.zip

Download (or copy) the file
tar xzf links2.tar.zip
./links -g

YOU NEED TO START IT WITH links -g
to get the X version of the program rather than the terminal version.

This browser is very fast. It does not support CSS so page layout may be affected on some sites. For example, instead of three columns, you will now have the first column at the top of the page followed by the second and third columns. Scroll down the page to see the part of the document you desire. I have ad blocking in a hosts file and, since this has no flash support, I have yet to see an ad anywhere.

Modifications to original program:
1. default background color is now white
2. default font is now a unicode version of a sans-serif font (this is what makes the file so much larger)
3. scrolling can be done with the scroll bar or by dragging on the page (like microb)
3. key modifications:
  • a. esc key = browse back
  • b. menu key = menu
  • c. dpad up/down = scroll up/down
  • d. dpad left = page down
  • e. dpad right = toggle right/left click (for select text mode, etc.)

You will need xkbd in order to type in URLs etc.

If you want to use folders in the bookmarks, you need to press the plus key for them to work (it toggles a left/right mouse button).

Last edited by coffeedrinker; 2008-07-15 at 23:55. Reason: Updated program

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to coffeedrinker For This Useful Post:
Right on, links2 is cool

I think I posted a cookie patch here a while back, any chance you could apply it, and/or post a patch with your changes?

If you could get opening new windows to happen in the background you'd be my hero...

It's too bad there isn't more links hacking going on, it really is a cool little browser!

See here for a somewhat improved version: http://linkx.sf.net

Originally Posted by dblank View Post
If you could get opening new windows to happen in the background you'd be my hero...
Do you mean the right click menu which lets you open in new window, or something else?

Changes I have made:

The user interface changes are all in x.c

To change the default background color edit line 1456 of default.c

The fonts changes are much more involved. You have to change a ttf to png glyphs and then recompile so I'm not including those here.

I have now applied dblank's cookie patch (don't know what it does) and will be putting up a new version asap (I'll edit main post when I have). UPDATE POSTED
Attached Files
File Type: zip x.c.zip (14.6 KB, 163 views)

Last edited by coffeedrinker; 2008-07-12 at 16:48.

Originally Posted by coffeedrinker View Post
Do you mean the right click menu which lets you open in new window, or something else?
Yeah, I'd love to be able to queue up a bunch of stuff in the background.

I have now applied dblank's cookie patch (don't know what it does)
It saves and loads cookies to/from disk, without it, cookies are only stored in RAM, so once you close the browser, they're gone.

It's an old patch written by someone else, I just modified it so it would work with newer versions.

I was hoping to just use the + key to swap the right and left mouse buttons but it was a bit trickier since I wanted the default left button for clicking and right for dragging. I'll try to get the right mouse working (though maybe a click-hold might work for right mouse).

I was hoping to just use the + key to swap the right and left mouse buttons but it was a bit trickier since I wanted the default left button for clicking and right for dragging. I'll try to get the right mouse working (though maybe a click-hold might work for right mouse).
I'm using evrouter for right clicks, and switching between fullscreen / normal view modes, this way programs don't need to be modified at all.

I wrote a perl script a while ago for tap and hold right click (using GUITest module), but it's got some CPU sucking loops, and I'm not sure how to write it better. I'm no coder

I'm surprised someone else hasn't released a program or script for global tap and hold right click.

I've been fooling around with different keys. Currently I'm using these changes from the ones listed above:

- = open bookmarks
+ = close window
left = page down
right = toggle right/left mouse (I rebuilt the program for this change)

This doesn't open the new windows in the background though, but since I can "alt tab" with the home key I can easily switch between windows. Pressing the + key followed by the dpad button allows a quick close of any new window.

The worst part of this might be constantly toggling between right and left mouse buttons. Right for a scroll, left for a link unless you want to open it in a new window.

If anyone is interested in a copy of this build, let me know and I will put it up too. Otherwise, I'll keep fiddling till I get exactly what I want.