Just to update after 18 months with the N900 and this forum, I've got the Samsung Galaxy S 2 and oh my gosh, it is a phenomenal phone! The main thing I miss about the N900 is the hardware keyboard but even that feeling is diminishing by the day as I get accustomed to the touch screen keyboard and swype (which is amazing in portrait mode). Other things include true multi-tasking (I've not figured out how to have two email messages open at the same time). Also it would be good to have a stylus for certain websites, to save the zooming in and out so I'm going to be ordering one soon.,

All in all, I am delighted with the phone, the screen is second to none, responsiveness makes the N900 feel like a dead tortoise, the browser experience is fantastic with the fastest rendering I've ever had the pleasure to use. It plays MKV (h264) straight out of the box and google navigation is pretty awesome with free Traffic updates.

In terms of social network integration - msn, google chat, skype, facebook (not the chat), is deeply integrated within Android (or Samsung's touchwiz) and there is an IM which doesn't quite integrate the messages within 'Messages', but it does showup in the Communication History with each person in their Phonebook profile.

Liveprofile and Whatsapp are also pretty good cross-platform IM's. In addition, finally having google software makes life easier for me.

Battery life - too early to tell at this stage as I have not yet put the phone down.

Customisable -as much as the N900 but made easier by the greater number of apps (many free).

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to inzimam For This Useful Post:
Posts: 939 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ U.K.
wow that's great pleased for you

Last edited by corduroysack; 2011-05-27 at 13:33.

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Thanked 2 Times in 1 1/2 years?

Okay, sad to lose such a great forum member!

In this case it was really worth to create a additional thread for the same topic...

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Good luck,

don't forget to shut the door behind you.

On a serious note tried my mates and didn't like it.

all the best.

handhelds running mame really well, GP2x (mk2), GP2x wiz, JXD s7300

Samsung galaxy note 2 owner and of course mame on that too

ex - Xbox 360 user - here is the reason -

I am back Xboxing again - and here is what i did to correct it -

***UPDATE*** now 47 months on and x-clamp fix has just failed....not a bad run

Traitor!!!

Only joking, enjoy the new phone - end of the day it's there to do all the things you need and Galaxy S 2 looks really decent.

Helmuth, I've just Thanked you, so that you can stay in the 'competition'.

I couldn't find another Thread for reveiwing the move from N900 to GS 2.

I thought it would be useful for people that are now coming to the point when they are looking for a new device but not knowing how things will stack up against the N900 and whether they should make the move.

I was so reluctant to change as I loved my N900, prior to which I changed my Nokia every 8 months, I had the N900 for 18 months! I may jump right back to Nokia if the N9/950 becomes and contender, but now Windows Phone - Mango looks pretty promising with Nokia hardware.

Last edited by inzimam; 2011-05-27 at 13:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to inzimam For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Battery life is on the lower end, but higher than the N900 out of the box and can be tweaked a bit.

One of the best looking screens - the missing hardware keyboard and true multitasking (the switching mostly) will be a feature missing from the N900.

There's no lack of apps, there's a ton of stuff that's out there that is equal to, or greater than (at least in polish) to stuff out there for the N900 - Xournal is the possible exception, LOVE that app.

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by inzimam View Post
I couldn't find another Thread
Link: I've fallen for the Galaxy S2

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Battery life is on the lower end, but higher than the N900 out of the box and can be tweaked a bit.

One of the best looking screens - the missing hardware keyboard and true multitasking (the switching mostly) will be a feature missing from the N900.

There's no lack of apps, there's a ton of stuff that's out there that is equal to, or greater than (at least in polish) to stuff out there for the N900 - Xournal is the possible exception, LOVE that app.
yes Gerbick, I was actually looking for a Xournal type app for Android since you can get a stylus that will also work. Unfortunately I only found some unpolished notepads apps without the ability to save etc.

Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Link: I've fallen for the Galaxy S2
My apologies, didn't come up when I searched 'samsung galaxy'

The Following User Says Thank You to inzimam For This Useful Post:

Tags
android, fight!, who gives a fok, woohoo