Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by SeRi@lDiE View Post
I am unable to use Mplayer with the latest firmware.
Would you be so kind to share at least some details?

Posts: 919 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ /dev/null
Sure.... I get only a black screen... I here the sound but no video...
The vidoe play just fine in the mameo video player but not on mplayer...

Originally Posted by SeRi@lDiE View Post
Sure.... I get only a black screen... I here the sound but no video...
The vidoe play just fine in the mameo video player but not on mplayer...
So which video codec are you using? Everything plays fine here (perfectly, actually). The only problem I can see is I can't seem to seek...

Cheers

Originally Posted by mutex View Post
Has anyone else tried the Nokia_N800.avi (came with updated OS) with mplayer?
When I play the clip I get tearing across the lower part of the screen, but not with the native media player.
Serge: thanks for all the work you have done, you are doing a great job!!
Yes, I noticed that there are quite a handful of movies played in MPlayer with this tearing line while they are ok in the standard player. I don't know why it could be so as MPlayer now uses Xvideo extension just like the standard player. On the other hand, some videos also have this tearing line in the standard player (a test video I have transcoded to 512x288 24fps 800kbps). I'll have a closer look at this problem once the new sources of xserver become available.

Also MPlayer seems to play higher resolution and bitrate videos smoother than the standard player, not to mention support of more codecs. So if you don't want to transcode your videos and want to play them as is, you have better chances with MPlayer.

Originally Posted by beano
Not so good news: Any seeking jams/hangs/crashes MPlayer.
Yes, I also noticed this problem on N800. If you keep hitting rewind button frequently, it sometimes jams (most likely because of some issues with gstreamer usage), but I have never seen crashes yet. In order to use rewind in MPlayer, it is better to do it using single key presses: you press a key, mplayer jumps to some other part of movie and start playing it, you press the key again and so on... If MPlayer got stuck, pressing the middle key on arrowpad twice can help. Hope this helps. And I'll try to investigate and fix this issue later.

Originally Posted by Serge View Post
Yes, I also noticed this problem on N800. If you keep hitting rewind button frequently, it sometimes jams (most likely because of some issues with gstreamer usage), but I have never seen crashes yet. In order to use rewind in MPlayer, it is better to do it using single key presses: you press a key, mplayer jumps to some other part of movie and start playing it, you press the key again and so on... If MPlayer got stuck, pressing the middle key on arrowpad twice can help. Hope this helps. And I'll try to investigate and fix this issue later.
It helps greatly, thanks! And I've found that the +-10min Fast Seek makes a big difference too...Cheers

every time i play a video and it is reaching the end, the mplayer just automatically fowards or fastens the video around the last 17 to 20 seconds of the video. is there a setting that i need to put to make the video play smoothly at the beginning and END! or is there something else wrong

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
mplayer_1.0rc1-maemo.12.800 looks pretty good on 3.2007.10-7, just the following issues:

1. Seek fwd/rew causes a hang (you already know this)
2. Audio delay in the menu isn't working - not able to change the delay value
3. MP4 no longer plays correctly - this seems to have been broken since 1.0rc1-maemo.11 as it worked fine in 1.0rc1-maemo.9 (or maybe it was .10).

I can send you the MP4 if you like - it's the demo video from a SonyEricsson W950i phone. It now plays as static/white noise in mplayer.12 and plays just fine in the stock 3.2007.10-7 Media Player.

I've also noticed significant audio sync problems with mplayer that do not occur in Media Player.

Hi All,

The N800 and N93 videos seem to play worse in this latest version. Jerky and slight tearing I think.

As for other videos that I encoded using Media Converter @ 400x200 768kbps & Audio at 32 kbps, works well. Video @ higher audio bitrates seem to go offsync with the video slightly. I think audio at 32 kbps seems to be the most robust at the moment. Hope this helps in the diagnosis...let me know if you need more details.

Luke

Posts: 18 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Göteborg, Sweden
Originally Posted by luketoh View Post
The N800 and N93 videos seem to play worse in this latest version. Jerky and slight tearing I think.
The problem with the N800 and N93 videos is that the aspect ratio is slightly off. If you start mplayer from xterm with the option -noaspect or add noaspect=true to ~/.mplayer/config they will play smooth.

Originally Posted by asinus View Post
The problem with the N800 and N93 videos is that the aspect ratio is slightly off. If you start mplayer from xterm with the option -noaspect or add noaspect=true to ~/.mplayer/config they will play smooth.
Thanks, that's an interesting observation. Looks like it explains the difference between the built-in player and mplayer (mplayer respects aspect ratio, so you see some small black bands above and below the video). It is strange that Xv starts to suffer from it so much though.