Hi there,

I have a general question regarding the cleanest deployment strategy for the following situation:

I have a python application up and running that I want to deploy on my N810. The app depends on some 3rd party software that I compiled and installed from source in the X86 target in SB. I can do the same in the ARMEL target, but I don't want to compile it on the device. (after all, that's what SB is for, no?)
So now I need a way to get this 3rd party SW from the ARMEL target to the N810. "Make install" puts it in several directories in /usr/local but I'm wondering what the normal procedure would be here.
Is it to copy the build dir with the compiled SW to the device and then run "make install" again?

Thank you for reading

Hi,

which kind of libraries do you need? Have you checked if they aren't already in one of the repositories for diablo? Then you can simply install them via apt-get install <package-name>. Here you can look for the needed libraries.

Daniel

hi daniel,

I need the Pocketsphinx ASR libs. They're in Fremantle (extras-devel) but not in Diablo. The sources compile just fine in Diablo, though.
I could of course make .deb packages out of them for Diablo but before I start this 1000th sub-project (that I know nothing about so far) I want to make sure that I didn't miss any obvious but easier methods.

(enabling the fremantle extras-devel repos for Diablo won't work for them either; ALSA and dpkg are too old on Diablo)

poohsen

Posts: 726 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Sweden
Even though it's not the best way to do things, you could always try to bundle the special library with your program in a deb package. That way you can at least get it up and running and let others try it.

Use the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to indicate where your bundled library is located so your application can use it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joorin For This Useful Post:
Thanks Joorin, that might be an option. I'd still have to keep track of all files that "make install" installs in the ARMEL target filesystem, though, wouldn't I? I haven't read the pages related to packaging and deployment that carefully, yet...

The other option that came to my mind was to use something like unison to keep the ARMEL target and the device synchronised. That would require a unison server on the device, I believe. Once set up, this seems to be a fast way to update the device if I happen to need more stuff that's not in the repos.

Thanks for your replies Joorin and Daniel!