Originally Posted by att View Post
I have to disagree. I'm using much more my Jolla than N9. N9 is a fine smartphone but Jolla is much better. There are flaws, missing features and bugs, but at least for me they are not showstoppers.
Well, for me it's not possible to connect to my wifi (WPA PEAP). This is a showstopper and not a small glitch or a missing app. (I really don't care if there's navigation, etc. from the beginning or not).

The Following User Says Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by JulmaHerra View Post
For me it took some time to get used to Jolla, mainly because of it's size and sharp corners. I have no complaints about the performance or the UI, it has evolved since the N9. Regarding features, at the moment N9 beats Jolla hands down. It shouldn't be that big suprise, Sailfish is still very young platform and I have all the confidence that it will evolve and missing features are added rather sooner than later.
Sailfish feels like a nice empty shell to me because almost everything I like from the N900, N9 and Symbian is not there or lacking.

But it takes only a quick tour of the OS to see the potential of Sailfish filled with native applications.

I haven't hesitated to support this project by the 100 Euro pre-purchase and to lay my small left over confidence in the mobile phone industry on the line for Jolla.

In return it would pleasure me to hear Jolla acknowledge that part of the undeniable beauty of the N9 (and N900) was the total integration of key communication tools (Skype, SIP, XMPP whatever into the OS and throughout the contacts list) as well as desktop like behavior like unrestricted multitaksing and small things like copy / paste.

I wish that Jolla would confirm this is on the road map and will be working to implement these features step by step.

In about 6 months time we need a beautiful and polished core that we can like straight out of the box.

Then there will be an app for this and an app for that in no time.

And again, good software doesn't need to come for free.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
If you don't mind sending me the vcard (robin.burchell@jolla.com), I'll create a bug about this internally.

I don't work on the contacts application (anymore, I did for a while) - so I don't know specifics, but I'm fairly sure that N9 was most definitely tested for imports, so it'd be interesting to know what's breaking for you.
Hi w00t, I've sent you an email with the combined vcf that I tried (and failed) to import into the Jolla. Many thanks for taking the time look into this. Will be interesting to know what the problem is, as creating multiple files with smaller groups (A-Z) worked without a problem.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2013-12-17 at 17:38.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by hemiwi View Post
Somebody asked on page one already but i cannot find any reply.

How does RSS implementation work? is it on Notification page?
If not is there a native app already?
Which is the best way to read RSS Feeds on SailfishOS?
RSS isn't supported by the OS.

There is an RSS app in the Jolla store called "Tidings" which seems to work OK, although it doesn't seem to update the feeds automatically (at least, there's no configurable schedule that the user can set). Needless to say Tidings does not tie into the events feed, it's an entirely separate app. And one of the feeds that used to work on the N9, doesn't work with Tidings.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2013-12-17 at 17:41.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
I wish that Jolla would confirm this is on the road map and will be working to implement these features step by step.
I mentioned this same thing several pages ago. I understand if Jolla can't do it for the time being, but I would expect it to happen as formal releases start coming out (read: when we're out of Beta).

The Following User Says Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
I mentioned this same thing several pages ago. I understand if Jolla can't do it for the time being, but I would expect it to happen as formal releases start coming out (read: when we're out of Beta).
Possible.
Meanwhile I will keep my fingers crossed that indeed they give priority to integrated features little known loved and missed in the outside world but loved by fans of Maemo instead of a perfect Facebook client.

The Jolla browser Html5 benchmark gives me +/- 330 points while the Firefox on virtual Android more than double 700+ points ...

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
First of all, delete any contacts from your SIM unless you want that mess to appear in the People app with no way to suppress them.
There is a link feature that will help on this. Just link the duplicates.

The Following User Says Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by zamorph View Post
For me, the N9 works perfectly in my car (a Peugeot).

So then is it Bluetooth Phone Book Access Profile that needs to be implemented? I ask, because, when I was looking into buying the Nokia N9, I was reading that it needed SAP or rSAP - (Remote) SIM Access Profile.
Oh, I had a long history with car BT problems (Renault here), both with my N900 and my N9.

Initially, the N900 had the following problems:
  • No phonebook or call list access at all (missing PBAP)
  • Once connected, I could change songs in the music player only if the player was opened, and sometimes not even that (AVRCP was bugging)
  • Turning off the infotainment system would not stop the song on the N900 so I had to do it manually which was mighty annoying
  • It would never show up on the display what song was playing, nor the playlist - it would just say 'Audio track'

Then I manually updated the OBEX stack which fixed a lot of things, namely problems with address book access by giving a proper PBAP support (tho the call lists were mangled) and AVRCP profile that came with it was issuing pause/stop signal to the player...

Then I got my N9 and its AVCRP was fine (except that it still sometimes failed to start the song and sometimes controls would just stop responding) but even tho it had PBAP, I couldn't access neither the address book nor call lists. And unlike with the N900, there wasn't an easy fix...

Then my car radio died, when I replaced it the N9 continued to work fine with PBAP - both address books, call lists and everything in-between. AVCRP problems still persisted but they are not mighty annoying.

Thus, given my experience, once I get my Jolla I'm well prepared for the problems Unlike with the N9, with Jolla it should at least be far easier to fix/update the BT profiles by ourselves and that's the first thing I'll do if the need arises.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
i am very happy jolla did not choose higher res than it is. text is already to damn small in the browser! I really hope they licence a better font in the future. also this site get even worse on jollaphone hower I have already stated TMO is not mobile user friendly... its actually PITA to post on TMO using any phone.

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 269 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Brussels
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
RSS isn't supported by the OS.

There is an RSS app in the Jolla store called "Tidings" which seems to work OK, although it doesn't seem to update the feeds automatically (at least, there's no configurable schedule that the user can set). Needless to say Tidings does not tie into the events feed, it's an entirely separate app. And one of the feeds that used to work on the N9, doesn't work with Tidings.
Indeed, not there from the start.
For the moment I'm using Feedly (Android) to go through my feeds.
A good client / integration is needed.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wout.martens For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience