Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by crasbelize View Post
Missing with titanium backup pro......i missed up tablet.

I uninstall one off those analog clocks.....now everytime I install a new app; I have to reboot before I could see the icon.

The real problem is that I reset to factory rom under settings and my tab didn't really reset.......my device was already rooted.

QUESTION: how do I get this thing back to the way I got it from the store?
Factory reset means resetting your SETTINGS to factory settings--it has nothing to do with reinstalling the software/firmware state. For that you would need to flash the ROM with the OS image or use Samsung's app that flashes the entire device firmware.

If I'm not mistaken, there is a Samsung application called Odin that use a PIT (image file) for your particular device to restore everything to factory state. But I would HIGHLY recommend NOT doing this or only doing it as a very, last resort (i.e. you're already bricked).

By the by.. everyone might get a kick out of this site, which I hadn't noticed before: http://www.galaxyroot.com/
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
a little guide i put together showing how to edit your apps icons
(and text if you know how to edit xml files)
i got the info from a thread on XDAdev forum by mixpix405
all im doing is making it easier to understand and adding a few screenies to show fellow n00b's how i do it
i know there are apps that let you change icons, better cut, ect.
but i wanted to change the ATKfroyo widget icon to a nazi zombie icon, and this is the only way i could find to do it
also the LG Optimus 2X Weather Widget had a black update bar below it, and there was no setting to remove it so i just edited the apk and made that icon transparent
also im now using launcher pro and the missed call notification circle (little red circle on the app icon in dockbar) wouldnt work on a custom icon, but it does on a launcher pro icon, so i edited the apk and changed the launcher pro icon, now it works

you need to be rooted
and you need this to sign the edited apk:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/wdnt0t.../Auto-sign.rar
(thanks to Dave Da illest 1 for that)

you need 7-Zip installed on your pc
pull the apk file you want to edit from data/apps on to your pc
right click the apk, 7-Zip, open archive

delete the folder 'META-INF'
open the 'res' folder and edit your images or xml files
(i use photoshop to edit my icons)

when your finished just close the 7-Zip archive

now you need to put your edited .apk into the Auto-sign tool folder
rename your apk to 'update.zip'
run the 'Sign.bat' program
it creates a file called 'update_signed.zip'
rename that back to 'yourfile.apk'

put the file on your device
uninstall the original app
reinstall your edited apk

link to original thread:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=503007

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to leetut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
Originally Posted by crasbelize View Post
Hello all!

Quick question?

OfficeSuite pro or Documents to go?

I can't decide? OfficeSuite is a little cheaper.

I did try Documents to go on my N900 and it sucked......and was lacking so many features!
you could try QuickofficeHD ported from the Notion Ink Tablet
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=928832

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leetut For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Well, it looks as if OnLive has gotten much, much, MUCH more attractive with an $9.99/mo flat rate cost!

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/02/onl...-plan-playpack

This is potentially really great for the Tab that supports keyboard and mouse. But the down side is less obvious: when utilizing the Tab as a mobile device, you're likely not going to have the bandwidth (quantity or quality) available to full take advantage of this service. As such, you're much more limited to at-home play -- which you'd likely not use the Tab for anyway.

Of course, it's still useful around the house for more casual games, and hey, you can share them with your PC/TV as well!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
Well, it looks as if OnLive has gotten much, much, MUCH more attractive with an $9.99/mo flat rate cost!

http://www.ubergizmo.com/2011/02/onl...-plan-playpack

This is potentially really great for the Tab that supports keyboard and mouse. But the down side is less obvious: when utilizing the Tab as a mobile device, you're likely not going to have the bandwidth (quantity or quality) available to full take advantage of this service. As such, you're much more limited to at-home play -- which you'd likely not use the Tab for anyway.

Of course, it's still useful around the house for more casual games, and hey, you can share them with your PC/TV as well!
Considering the popularity of bandwidth caps on most ISP's (even the most liberal, being the 250GB/month from Comcast), I wouldn't place my bets on their success. From what I've read in various articles, it seems that the typical bandwidth usage with OnLive is around 2-5GB/hour (varies depending on resolution, quality, etc.). That effectively gives users on most ISP's only a few hours of gaming per month before they're flagged for excessive usage.

ref:
http://perilsofparallel.blogspot.com...-and-cost.html
http://www.onlivemedium.com/2009/04/...em-for-onlive/
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=135872
http://onlivefans.com/showthread.php...ave-the-answer.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Corrupt View Post
It seems that Android has overtaken Symbian in sales to be the #1 worldwide smartphone OS. Can it maintain this lead for more than one quarter?

http://www.dailytech.com/Android+Ove...ticle20787.htm
Android has been around what like 2 years? In contrast to symbian that has been around for ages. I think this is a point of no return. The gap will probably get bigger and bigger. I posted this on another thread on this news:

There was a report that came out yesterday or so that showed android sold more than Symbian last quarter ( I think it included the Galaxy Tab sales but it is not Samsung or Google's fault there is no symbian tablet). Symbian did sell over 30 million so it is still in a good position but you have to say now that android has overtaken symbian I don't see anyway back.

I think Android is going to outsell symbian in every quarter and the gap is only going to get bigger and bigger. Once android hardware gets into the cheap £50 segment which Nokia dominates Nokia's sales are going to go lower and lower and they need to find a way to gather sales from where ever they can.

Nokia seems to be sitting still relying on the fact that for those looking for a cheap phone of satisfactory quality there is no choice other than Nokia. However, android does not seem ready to sit on its laurels and it looks like it is going to spell trouble for Nokia. RIM has already taken a very huge chunk of Nokia potential customers with blackberry messanger attracting so many but that may pale in comparison to what android could do.

Having said that I don't see Nokia (from what we have seen in the last few years) being able to crack the US or attract new customers (would not be suprised if those still buying Nokia smart phones are those who have been buying Nokia phones previously).

So unless something changes drastically I think Nokia's best days are now behind it. Hopefully something drastic is the reason there is new management.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
@dan,

Very good point, but bandwidth will only increase as new technology and infrastructure is laid. Think of how far we've come in 5 years.

These guys might be a little early to the party, but this model looks to be a successful one, if slightly before its time. Can the company weather the storm before bandwidth makes this sort of thing more than feasible? Who knows, but I wouldn't count this model out -- not by a long shot.

For those users that are keen on seriously using this service, they will more than likely choose higher bandwidth plans. Currently, I suspect this appeals to casual gamers, and gamers that may only spend a few hours a day/week playing. Hardcore gamers may still opt to stay away due to the bandwidth costs, but may trickle in as bandwidth improves.

Anecdotally, I remember when Youtube was new and the concerns were similar for quite a few, and again so when they rolled out HD. But now, bandwidth more than adequately handles these tasks.

I'd give it time.

The Following User Says Thank You to Capt'n Corrupt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
Android has been around what like 2 years? In contrast to symbian that has been around for ages. I think this is a point of no return. The gap will probably get bigger and bigger. I posted this on another thread on this news:

There was a report that came out yesterday or so that showed android sold more than Symbian last quarter ( I think it included the Galaxy Tab sales but it is not Samsung or Google's fault there is no symbian tablet). Symbian did sell over 30 million so it is still in a good position but you have to say now that android has overtaken symbian I don't see anyway back.

I think Android is going to outsell symbian in every quarter and the gap is only going to get bigger and bigger. Once android hardware gets into the cheap £50 segment which Nokia dominates Nokia's sales are going to go lower and lower and they need to find a way to gather sales from where ever they can.

Nokia seems to be sitting still relying on the fact that for those looking for a cheap phone of satisfactory quality there is no choice other than Nokia. However, android does not seem ready to sit on its laurels and it looks like it is going to spell trouble for Nokia. RIM has already taken a very huge chunk of Nokia potential customers with blackberry messanger attracting so many but that may pale in comparison to what android could do.

Having said that I don't see Nokia (from what we have seen in the last few years) being able to crack the US or attract new customers (would not be suprised if those still buying Nokia smart phones are those who have been buying Nokia phones previously).

So unless something changes drastically I think Nokia's best days are now behind it. Hopefully something drastic is the reason there is new management.
Good post.

I agree. Interestingly, Google has revealed on more than one occasion that it plans to support Android v2 for precisely that reason: to invade the low cost handset market. This is a different strategy from Apple and Rim that seem not to care about this market. Nokia is late to the party with MeeGo and clinging to this market

Even now, I can get a cheap Android handset for $200 CDN, which is not much more expensive than a high quality feature phone, never mind one that is running Symbian smartphone OS. That said, I wouldn't even CONSIDER a symbian phone, and I'm sure that individuals perusing their options in shops would feel very similar given side-by-side choice.

It seems that Google has a serious tactical advantage in this regard, and it seems due to Nokia's mismanagement of their software assets.

WATCH THE ANDROID 3 EVENT LIVE, RIGHT NOW:
http://www.youtube.com/android

The Android 3.0 event starts in 5 minutes!
http://www.youtube.com/android

For those that miss it, I'll try to post a link as soon as one is available. Of course, feel free to do it in my absence.

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy