People may be complaining of this being a duplicate thread, but I would prefer that this one live and the other one die.The other one has needless asinine commentary attached to the subject line. It's troll bait.

if you're over maemo/meego go to that other thread and discuss how much the n900 failed and how happy you are with android.

If you would like to discuss the n950, it should probably be in this one.

Last edited by anonymous; 2011-03-02 at 14:37. Reason: insomnia

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
unless they rename it 'iphone 5' ill not be buying it

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
According to http://lists.meego.com/pipermail/mee...ch/481793.html Hämäläinen Kimmo from Nokia specifically says that they are developing a "phone". This may be a slip, but this seems to be the first time someone has said "phone" rather than "device". Of course, this is not an official announcement.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dchky View Post
I don't know about 1 and 4, but 2 is a near on certainty for the rootfs size. I'd expect Nokia to include a tad more actual RAM as well.

Number 3 is unrelated to MeeGo or the N950. Talk to the devs of that system sir :-)
I am not talking about rootfs but RAM. Samsung Galaxy S2 for example has 1GB RAM. Developers need it and everyone who wants to run same time Android-, Java-, Python- and Native-apps. It has to be able to do at least the same Galaxy S2 does because that is the high end phone everyone is comparing to this year.

Nokia can get Dalvik VM to Meego-phone from Myriad.

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
According to http://lists.meego.com/pipermail/mee...ch/481793.html Hämäläinen Kimmo from Nokia specifically says that they are developing a "phone". This may be a slip, but this seems to be the first time someone has said "phone" rather than "device". Of course, this is not an official announcement.
Good catch.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

Well with the dramas coming from Nokia recently, I've totally lost trsut of Nokia and plan to get the iPhone5. N950 could have the hw I like but I don't see it getting any commercial app. Simply put, I don't want to get burned twice even though I (mostly) enjoy the N900 and the community supporting it...

I don't think N950 will sell as "well" as N900, which is really a shame...

If Nokia would bring out one meego device every year, like the N950 this year, another one for 2012 etc., I'd actually buy the N950. Unfortunately won't happen.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
Well with the dramas coming from Nokia recently, I've totally lost trsut of Nokia and plan to get the iPhone5. N950 could have the hw I like but I don't see it getting any commercial app. Simply put, I don't want to get burned twice even though I (mostly) enjoy the N900 and the community supporting it...

I frankly don't know anything about the iPhone 5. So, I have some questions about it. Some of my questions apply to both the iPhone5 and the N950.

Will the iPhone5 have an FM transmitter? If it does, will it have the range that the N900 is capable of?

Will the iPhone5 have an application that allows one to edit ODF and Microsoft formats?

Will the iPhone5 have a music player that supports ogg files and is as good as Some player?

Will the iPhone5 have an offline GPS that continues to work even when I am out of my carrier's data range?

Will the iPhone5 have multitasking as good as Maemo/Meego?

With the iPhone5 will I be able to use mass storage mode on any computer regardless of operating system and regardless of what programs are already installed on it to transfer media files?

Will the iPhone5 have a removable battery?

Will I be able to purchase an unlocked iPhone5? At what cost?

Just a few questions off the top of my head. I may have more latter.

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sony123 View Post

Odd as this may sound to you, this is exactly why you should support open over closed. Forget commercial apps, they are a dead end in the long run. Companies exist to make money and to do so they have to take money from you. That is a win/lose proposition because as soon as your money becomes meaningless to them compared to the potential billions available from others they will drop you like a hot potato.

The Following User Says Thank You to EzInKy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 66 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Dubai
2 x iP4 phones and N900 guess i'll be buying iP5 and iPad2 this year.

Even though a hater of apple products earlier and never bought any apple device before setp 2010, I can't support nokia for what they did to the users of N900.

It's been a year now since i bought N900 @ almost $600 in jAn 2010 and had fun till nokia totally dropped the ball on it and community s/w coudn't keep up with enough support in terms of app which were rising exponentialy on android and iOS.

My N900 o/cd 1Ghz, with 8GB mmc having Nitrodroid with no issues, sadly is only being used in toilet for wonderful speakers it has to play mp3s. Still strange enough, even though iP4 has better music capabilities and tons of software to exploit it but speakers suck when playing mp3s. Only good for headphones.

Last edited by sak500; 2011-03-02 at 18:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to sak500 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada bing, bada rox, bada rulez, bada suckss, bada sux, lam bada, lol @ bada, nokia defiled, science fiction