Just read couple of articles, i think have not been shared so i will. N950 surely would've been a worthy successor to N900, unlike N9. Maybe sometime down the road, this form factor will be sold

Engadget

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/26/n...urking-within/

Gsmarena

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n950_t...-news-2822.php

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to niqbal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 135 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
I'm pretty sure this model will be sold commercially.

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
What do you base that on? Although many of us would like that to be the case, everything we have heard from Nokia indicates it never will be.

someone on the second page (gsmarena) wrote: "nokia is working on a new os with similar ui to the n9 and Qt support. thats why they ditchd harmattan." ....what does he mean with that? - or does he simply don't know what he is talking about? is there any reliable source for that? maybe i simply missed something^^

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Originally Posted by Frickelson View Post
someone on the second page (gsmarena) wrote: "nokia is working on a new os with similar ui to the n9 and Qt support. thats why they ditchd harmattan." ....what does he mean with that? - or does he simply don't know what he is talking about? is there any reliable source for that? maybe i simply missed something^^
gsmarena, slashgear and the like are about as reliable as a trampoline made of wet paper

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 112 | Thanked: 269 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Oulu, Finland
Originally Posted by Frickelson View Post
This new "OS" is revision of S40. New OS for low/mid-tier dumb-smartphone-markers (aka BadaOS). No room for tinkering, but decent UI and hardware for mainstream people.

Please remember that Qt is crossplatform...

Originally Posted by sr00t View Post
i doubt if it will be sold commercially but i am sure this form factor will be sold in some later nokia phone, maybe wp7 phone (yikes ~). All in all, N950 looks beautiful with aluminum casing and 12 mp camera. Pack that with better hardware chip + bigger battery and you have one amazing cellphone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to niqbal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by larux View Post
This new "OS" is revision of S40. New OS for low/mid-tier dumb-smartphone-markers (aka BadaOS). No room for tinkering, but decent UI and hardware for mainstream people.

Please remember that Qt is crossplatform...
the fact that they want to use Qt for the low/mid-smartphones is another point which makes it sound unlogical to me that they ditch Harmattan. i think devs would be more interested in writing apps for a bigger platform (even if not every kind of app makes sense on a S40 device) so why they stop to use harmattan for for the "big" smartphones - that doesn't make sense to me....

Originally Posted by sr00t View Post
it would be very sad if the N950 will not be sold to consumers i would definitely like to get one as replacement for my N900 - because for that a N9 (or any other phone i know) just don't fit my needs in that case i maybe should hire a dev to buy me one

Originally Posted by niqbal View Post
i doubt if it will be sold commercially but i am sure this form factor will be sold in some later nokia phone, maybe wp7 phone (yikes ~). All in all, N950 looks beautiful with aluminum casing and 12 mp camera. Pack that with better hardware chip + bigger battery and you have one amazing cellphone.
Exactly. If they let the n97 out into the wild, anything goes. Anything.

Originally Posted by daperl View Post
Exactly. If they let the n97 out into the wild, anything goes. Anything.
Nokia has all the necessary ingredients to build a killer cellphone but i fail to understand why dont they. N950 looks a killer form factor, absolutely stunning. Put in a higher capacity battery, add a 2011 chip to it but they keep trying to push 10 high end cellphones rather than one killer cell. Dilemma with nokia probably is they are too big or have been too big with all the stats worrying them yet the best technology is available inhouse be it hardware or software (harmattan). They lack focus perhaps.

We have to churn out these many million cellphones and couple of OSes to handle, which feature to put and which feature to hold back so they remain distinguished. Frustrating, both as a producer and as a consumer. HTC produces the same damn form factor with the same software (pretty much) and they get away with it, and are making profit. Maybe this is the very problem. Instead of churning too many form factors, focus on building the best first before outputting more.

N950 - with qwerty
N9 - with aluminum casing

can be fantastic form factors. On OS Choice, they already have Harmattan aka Meego 1.2 + Symbian Anna.

I feel confusion of too many cellphones and too many OSes on board is a crucial reason why devs wont jump on it. Direction and Focus are unclear.