Active Topics

Notices

So you turn on your tablet, fresh boot, everything is great! Load applet shows basically no usage for processor and memory.

You open some programs, do some stuff, close the programs down, and the load on the tablet's memory is higher than it was after fresh boot.

most of the time this doesn't interfere much with anything, but sometimes it does.
For example if I run OpenOffice 2.4 after a fresh boot its very fast snappy etc.
If I run it once memory leaks have set in it is very slow, borderline unbearable.

I find myself having to reboot the NIT when I wan to use Open Office.

Is there a way around the memory leaks? Is there a way to identify them and kill the processes? Or avoid them from occurring at all?

Thank a lot for any help.

Hmm, I don't experience this phenomena. If I close down all applications, my tablet is just as responsive as after a boot.

Are you sure a specific process hasn't hung?

Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
Hmm, I don't experience this phenomena. If I close down all applications, my tablet is just as responsive as after a boot.

Are you sure a specific process hasn't hung?
Well, I am not sure that a process was closed that should have been.
For example when you open canola and then close it, canola will also open atabake, and python 2.5

a little after you close it, atabake should close as well. Python 2.5 remains open, adding to the use of memory. (I usually terminate this process by hand.)

I am guessing that this happens with other programs as well, I just am not able to recognize which processes they are from.

So you're saying that when your using a load applet (that shows memory usage) after having kept the tablet on for a day using various applications, if you close all applications down, the memory level goes back to the minimum where it was after the reboot?

For me my load applet memory shows 1 bar when I first boot, and after opening and closing some programs it shows 2-3 bars...

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Use lots of duct tape.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by neatojones View Post
Use lots of duct tape.
Why I suspect you're a duct tape salesman?

Originally Posted by dantonic View Post
Well, I am not sure that a process was closed that should have been.
For example when you open canola and then close it, canola will also open atabake, and python 2.5

a little after you close it, atabake should close as well. Python 2.5 remains open, adding to the use of memory. (I usually terminate this process by hand.)
I'm more of a MediaBox guy than a Canola guy...but yes, it appears that after opening Canola & closing it, python remains open (3MB). I don't know why, you might want to ask one of the Canola Devs.

I am guessing that this happens with other programs as well, I just am not able to recognize which processes they are from.

So you're saying that when your using a load applet (that shows memory usage) after having kept the tablet on for a day using various applications, if you close all applications down, the memory level goes back to the minimum where it was after the reboot?

For me my load applet memory shows 1 bar when I first boot, and after opening and closing some programs it shows 2-3 bars...
Yes, after closing all applications my load-applet always goes down to 1 bar.

Last edited by BrentDC; 2009-04-05 at 22:33.

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
Why I suspect you're a duct tape salesman?
No. But it seems like duct tape can fix about anything. So, I figured.."Why not try it?"

The Following User Says Thank You to neatojones For This Useful Post:
for real though: You could try this:
Make the font in terminal smaller or use ssh (so you can see more of the print out).

From terminal:
$ ps aux

It will list all processes and how much RAM they are using and how much processor. If you find a renegade process, you can either kill it using the process id or with the command killall.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
I'm more of a MediaBox guy than a Canola guy...but yes, it appears that after opening Canola & closing it, python remains open (3MB). I don't know why, you might want to ask one of the Canola Devs.
That's because the daemons remain running for some minute or two.

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
anyway to get them to shut down immediately? One thing I hate, is I use canola in the car for all my music, and whenever I get out and take the N810 out of the holder and lock it to put it in the sleeve, the screen doesnt go blank. I get this same behavior if ive used navicore as well.

Tags
memory leaks