Active Topics

• Phone software functionality
  • When typing a word using the on-screen keyboard it is impossible to use the auto-complete feautre. Enter, The down caret, clicking the textbox all erase the selected word. The autocomplete suggestion is underlined, click on the underlined portion of the word to return the autocompleted word.
  • If a contact has multiple phones, they call, you then miss the call - it is impossible to know from which phone they called from.
  • Contacts can be given a "Cell" number or a "Telephone" number, however a custom number is not possible. Previously I had an Nokia N-Gage QD this would allow custom field names to be entered.
  • Contacts cannot be grouped
  • Custom ringtones cannot be assigned
  • Custom actions cannot be given to a contact (cannot automatically forward calls from ex-girlfriend to /dev/null)
  • Hardware
  • pipe key hard to get to using built in keyboard
  • GPS is crap, at least I have never seen it work. I consider this phone to not have GPS.
  • The ear piece gets full of finger crap
  • The flip out stand is nice, however it does does not really work if the screen is unfolded. What an oversight!!
  • As a way to help hold the phone the stand is great however at the wrong angle, if it were circular in nature and if I could rotate it about 15 degrees it would be better.
  • OS General
  • Going up a menu is unintutive. (Tap the upper left Menu button then going back to the desktop by clicking between two icons. Same for the task switcher menu)
  • Menu icons are not movable. I'd like the Terminal to be on the first screen.
  • Menu is not configurable. I'd like the first screen to scroll if necessary, I should be able to decide when/if I need "More..." (which I would then copy, paste and rename to "Games", "Applications", "Tools", etc...)
  • I don't know how the file system works, using the file manager is no help. The terminal vision of the FS is completely different than the filemanager and every gui based editor. This is a real pain.
  • Also there is a bizzare MAC OS directory. Screw MAC's if I wanted a VCR I'd get a VCR. If a user is using a MAC then he can figure out how to connect it himself.
  • After installing a program the icon is missing, always shows up as a blue square icon
  • newer programs are always appended to second menu (menu after "More"
  • Programs
  • Overall there are just not enough programs. I'm surprised to find that the google phones have more apps
  • Attitude (program showing the tilt of phone in real time)
  • This program lags very badly, when I first used this I had thought that the CPU was at fault.
  • Blocks (tetris game)
  • Dragging / tapping is not a way to play tetris.
  • Sometimes you need to move horizontally, this is a bad time to rotate by mistake.
  • Really this game is not playable with a touch screen.
  • With the keyboard there is no way to accelarate the fall of a block, it's instance or nothing.
  • Marbles (game)
  • This game needs a help menu. I don't know how to play.
  • MasterGear (gamegear emulator game)
  • I'd really like to play it, but I'm always dumped to a Z80 debugger. I don't know what is going on, but I have never successfully played a game.
  • ColEm (colceo emulator game)
  • The most difficult part of trying to play colceo game was to acutally unzip a zipped file. Currently the unzip program is in testing
  • Vultures Eye (NetHack game)
  • Honestly this game opened me up to NetHack, previously I've been playing in a text-based screen and thought it was terrible and for hard-core dorks. I get it now. However...
  • The screen is too long for the device. Menus get cut off.
  • The game menus options are basically key driven (Hit Q to quit). It's weird and hard to use.
  • Almost TI-85 (TI-85)
  • I'm a TI-85 fan, I can't believe this even exist. Awesome! However...
  • If you get a phone call / text message while using this program you are going to get a weird crash, the screen will flash back between the two applications (OS notification and program) ultimately the TI wins, if you don't know to hit 2nd + On then you are going to have to manually terminate the application.
  • One of the best programs for the TI-85 was called the ZShell. This opens the world to notepad, zelda, mario brothers. I do not know if and how to load ZShell. If it's not possible then this is a real shame.
  • Sopwith (flight attack game)
  • This is a fun game on a desktop, however...
  • This game is impossible to play on this device. It should be moved back into dev. A typical human with 2 hands and 5 fingers per hand cannot play this game. The buttons are Left Right Down and Space. What's wrong with that? Only that all of these buttons are located on the bottom right side of the device.
  • It's a real shame that the accellerometer is not used by this game.
  • Pidgin (chat) - in all fairness I hate Pidgin
  • My problem with pidgin is the same as it is in the desktop version. - It sucks to use IRC with. HOW DO I ENTER A ROOM!? (best way I found is to hunt for the list room button, list the rooms then halt the listing, ideally you'll see only a single room in the list which of course is not alphabetized because pidgin sucks, enter that room then join the room you actually want, then leave the first room).
  • Pidgin gives a full 1 line to view the chats of others. You can increase this by removing features.
  • Pidgin makes me long for the features of irssi - still in dev
  • Terminal
  • I'd rather have bash
  • The onscreen menu needs configurable buttons (perhaps they are) an enter key is sorely needed.
  • Maelstrom
  • Buttons are configuralbe, but not really, try it, it's hard to explain. The main menu doesnt really respect the choices.
  • I was unable to set the volume as the menu suggests

(Previous comment)
  • terminal needs a on screen Enter button (entering an IP address requires the software keyboard, a command such as "ps aux | grep 192.16..") Using the on screen keyboard I have to press Enter then re-enter the onscreen keyboard the press enter again. Really this should be a setting that the user can change..
  • on screen keyboard should be able to be turned on while keyboard drawer is open (at least give the user access to a hidden enable switch) there are many advantages to each keyboard, having both would be really awesome. (I could see why this feature should be turned off initally -newbs would mistake this awesome feature as a lack of sophistication)

Last edited by zdux0012; 2010-01-03 at 08:25.

Master gear doesn't work for any roms, I keep going to the z80 debugger, I can get the frame rate to appear (in front of black screen)

On the browser the Back feature is very cool,, however, when selecting an older page, the physical location of that screen could be to the left/right/center. However when clicked a animation will always appear to load from the left, this confuses the user as to what is actually going on

When I cannot connect to internet,, or GPS (still cannot connect to GPS) I do not get an error message, just a general warning. I don't care if it's a /var/log file I still need this to debug

Device sometimes reboots, or does not turn on.

entering text in a textbox on browser is painful

No home, page up, end keys

Arrow keys are not useful,, (if somehting is highlighted and I want to go down two I cannot using the keyboard

Marble game has no directions, I do not know how to play it. Also this is a terrible game to show off the decive. Something like Marble Madness for nes would have been a better choice

The level tool,, shows how sluggish the accelorometer is, seeing the tool in action was disheartining. It would be cool if I could switch out the green/blue screen with a background

screen collects finger oils, enevitably this oil will end up in the hole on the front of screen (ear piece)

I do not like the camera facing myself, I do not trust it - big brother issues, (google wtc7 and wake up people!)

Originally Posted by zdux0012 View Post
I do not like the camera facing myself, I do not trust it - big brother issues, (google wtc7 and wake up people!)
Ok, Alex Jones. Simmer.

If you don't "trust" the front facing camera, this is still a free country. You can return the N900 and buy yourself a phone with no front facing camera. Hell, get one with no camera(s) at all.

Some people are just never happy... Sometimes I think that some people post here just to ***** and moan for no good reason.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
The OpenMoko doesn't have a Camera.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Put a sticker on top of it

The Following User Says Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 37 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ South-West UK
* Calendar- I think the alarms could be much improved.
For Example; I just created an "all day event" spanning 2 days, but it only allows an alarm "The day before", or no alarm at all.
A choice of exact time alarm would be preferable, and in fact the option for multiple alarms would be ideal (to prompt preparation a week before, then a reminder the day before the event, for exaple). Having one option is pretty pathetic really.
There are probably many other calendar issues that I am forgetting, but this one really bugs me.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
screen collects finger oils, inevitably this oil will end up in the hole on the front of screen (ear piece)
i just brought back breakfast.
remind me not to use anyone elses n900

i can see an n900 q-tips range coming out soon.

Hope you guys don't mind
I'm going to edit the original post creating a list of gripes.
However overall this is the best phone I have ever seen
As for the self-facing camera I'm going to coat the device in a plastic covering and cover it up.

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
[LIST][*]OS General[*]Menu icons are not movable. I'd like the Terminal to be on the first screen. [*]Menu is not configurable. I'd like the first screen to scroll if necessary, I should be able to decide when/if I need "More..." (which I would then copy, paste and rename to "Games", "Applications", "Tools", etc...)
It can be done. I'm sure someone posted it here. There is a way to sort/order it the way you like it.
[*]I don't know how the file system works, using the file manager is no help. The terminal vision of the FS is completely different than the filemanager and every gui based editor. This is a real pain.
Just like on any other GNU+Linux system? But yeah the pps really need to support proper filesystem access not just /home/user/MyDocs (which is where you are in filemanager and everywhere else)

[*]Also there is a bizzare MAC OS directory. Screw MAC's if I wanted a VCR I'd get a VCR. If a user is using a MAC then he can figure out how to connect it himself.
So remove it

[*]After installing a program the icon is missing, always shows up as a blue square icon
I believe this is a known bug and should be fixed in an update.
[*]Programs[*]Overall there are just not enough programs. I'm surprised to find that the google phones have more apps
The maemo5 platform is relatively new compared to the android one

The overall Meame platform though is older than the android .

[*]Vultures Eye (NetHack game)[*]Honestly this game opened me up to NetHack, previously I've been playing in a text-based screen and thought it was terrible and for hard-core dorks. I get it now. However...[*]The game menus options are basically key driven (Hit Q to quit). It's weird and hard to use.
Well you did say it's NetHack Hence the key driven menus.
[*]Pidgin (chat) - in all fairness I hate Pidgin[*]My problem with pidgin is the same as it is in the desktop version. - It sucks to use IRC with. HOW DO I ENTER A ROOM!? (best way I found is to hunt for the list room button, list the rooms then halt the listing, ideally you'll see only a single room in the list which of course is not alphabetized because pidgin sucks, enter that room then join the room you actually want, then leave the first room). [*]Pidgin gives a full 1 line to view the chats of others. You can increase this by removing features.[*]Pidgin makes me long for the features of irssi - still in dev
So use irssi. Or SSH+irssi
[*]Terminal [*]I'd rather have bash
So install it it's there. apt-get install bash But you'll need to exec bash when you start the terminal. Do NOT change your default shell in /etc/passwd. It will brick the device.
[*]The onscreen menu needs configurable buttons (perhaps they are) an enter key is sorely needed.
It is configurable.
Code:
gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/xterm/key_labels -t list --list-type=string "[Tab,Esc,Up,Dn,~,|,>]"
gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/xterm/keys -t list --list-type=string "[Tab,Escape,Page_Up,Page_Down,asciitilde,bar,greater]"
Feel free to modify as you see fit.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=osso-xterm

Hope some of that helps.
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

Last edited by ruskie; 2010-01-03 at 10:26.