Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
BTW, things I'm (hopefully) going to be implementing in .12:

- Ability to choose whether Quick Clip Date Stamps or Separates clippings (maybe for easy importing into other formats?)
- History submenu that shows the last ten clipppings

If anyone has any features they want implemented in .12, please post here and I'll see what I can do.
As much as I tend to go for simpler-is-better, your ideas for .12 sound good to me.

The only other thing I can think of is that when it successfully copies the selected text, maybe a little confirmation window -- something like Clipped! -- could flash briefly. (It's more important to flash a window when there's nothing to clip, and you've already implemented that. But I still find I go and look just to make sure the clipping happened. "Clipped!" would alleviate that paranoia.)

If you got really ambitious, there could be a setting where anything clipped from a browser automatically was followed with the URL. But that's probably a lot harder to implement.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Originally Posted by BrentDC View Post
Does anyone know how to get an Icon to show up in Control Panel->Panels->Status Bar-> ? Right now it is just blank.

Thanks.
GeraldKo PM'ed in a hope I'd be able to answer this and I've succeeded

In your /usr/share/applications/hildon-status-bar/quick_clip.desktop file, add the line:
Code:
Icon=quick_clip
to the end.

Last edited by qwerty12; 2009-02-06 at 20:21.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
As much as I tend to go for simpler-is-better, your ideas for .12 sound good to me.

The only other thing I can think of is that when it successfully copies the selected text, maybe a little confirmation window -- something like Clipped! -- could flash briefly. (It's more important to flash a window when there's nothing to clip, and you've already implemented that. But I still find I go and look just to make sure the clipping happened. "Clipped!" would alleviate that paranoia.)

If you got really ambitious, there could be a setting where anything clipped from a browser automatically was followed with the URL. But that's probably a lot harder to implement.
I like the "Clipped" idea. I do the same thing e.g. checking to see if something actually did get clipped. So I'll look into how to call one of those notification box thingy's.

As for #2, I do not think there is any way to get the current URL from the browser... I guess the URL will have to b clipped too to get the desired effect.

Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
GeraldKo PM'ed in a hope I'd be able to answer this and I've succeeded

In your /usr/share/applications/hildon-status-bar/quick_clip.desktop file, add the line:
Code:
Icon=quick_clip
to the end.
Ah ha! That worked great! Who would've thought it would be that easy? (certainly not me! ).

Thanks qwerty! (and GeraldKo).

Last edited by BrentDC; 2009-02-06 at 20:29.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Another addition that would be most awesome: linking Quick Clip to a hardware button so that even while in Full-Screen mode it could be started. I don't think that's really part of your program so much as a tinkering with "Hardware Key Bindings," something like this. I bet there's a way to get a button to call an app (or a status-bar plug-in), though I don't know what it is.

Another addition that would be most awesome: linking Quick Clip to a hardware button so that even while in Full-Screen mode it could be started. I don't think that's really part of your program so much as a tinkering with "Hardware Key Bindings," something like this. I bet there's a way to get a button to call an app (or a status-bar plug-in), though I don't know what it is.
I think that would be more up qwerty12's alley.

I have no idea how to call a sb applet other than clicking the actual sb... Theoretically it might be possible, but certainly beyond my abilities.

Last edited by BrentDC; 2009-02-06 at 23:05.

Sorry for the long wait on a .12 release, but here it is:

New in this release:

-Added Use Date Stamp and Use Separator options
-Added a History submenu, so you can easily access the last 10 clippings.
-Added a little "Clipped" conformation message when a clipping is successful (and an "Error Clipped..." one when things are not).

Could someone let me know how Quick Clip works on Chinook? I've only tested it on Diablo, thanks.

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

The Following User Says Thank You to BrentDC For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Chinook here. The previous version was OK - this one doesn't do at all. Settings menu doesn't come out, when trying to clip selected text from browser, get "error clipping", and clip files aren't shown.
Downgraded to 0.11 - OK again.

Might be I had to uninstall/purge 0.11 before installing 0.12?
EDIT: nope, after purging 0.11 and /home/user/.quickclip and reinstalling 0.12 no menu comes out when clicking its icon. Definitely, 0.12 is not chinook compatible.

Last edited by debernardis; 2009-02-11 at 20:25.

Suggested approach: watch the clipboard buffer, and whenever it changes (i.e., someone has copied/cut text somewhere), add the new content to a separate temporary list (say, most recent 10 clipboard items), then those can be transferred to the actual clipping files at the user's leisure when they're back out of fullscreen.

A related option, but one I think would prove annoying, is to monitor clipboard, and when it changes, bring up a dialog asking you where to save it (or cancel), but the heavy use of clipboard rather than primary on a touchscreen means you'd be canceling that dialog infuriatingly often.

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Chinook here. The previous version was OK - this one doesn't do at all. Settings menu doesn't come out, when trying to clip selected text from browser, get "error clipping", and clip files aren't shown.
Downgraded to 0.11 - OK again.

Might be I had to uninstall/purge 0.11 before installing 0.12?
EDIT: nope, after purging 0.11 and /home/user/.quickclip and reinstalling 0.12 no menu comes out when clicking its icon. Definitely, 0.12 is not chinook compatible.
Did you purge /home/user/.quickclip/user.conf? Because I forgot I changed the settings a little bit in .12, so if you do have a user.conf already there, it'll cause problems. Try:

Code:
rm /home/user/.quickclip/user.conf
Then reboot. (or disable/enable Quick Clip in the Control Panel).

Also, is the icon showing up for you all in the Control Panel? It's working here on my boot-from-sd partition but not the internal one...

Last edited by BrentDC; 2009-02-11 at 21:12.

Tags
announcement, python, quick clip, statusbar