Active Topics

Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
For what it is worth: insider chat says that Canonical is unlikely to devote considerable resources to UT. Ubuntu personal (with Unity 8, Mir and snaps) will be the thing, and where that is compatible with phones, so well and good. Community can move forward from that base.

Focus is IoT, Server and Cloud. Desktop likely is going to diminish in input, that is my best guess. It never made money...

Remember, this is not official. Canonical remains mum.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
If they are moving their emphasis away from configurations with a UI (ie. mobile/desktop), then will that also mean that Mir won't be a priority any more? How long before they bin it and go with Wayland?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
If they are moving their emphasis away from configurations with a UI (ie. mobile/desktop), then will that also mean that Mir won't be a priority any more? How long before they bin it and go with Wayland?
They have entirely too much FACE invested in MIR.
Anticipate the exquisitely slow strangulation of the entire ecosystem,
dragged out over a decade, rather than any kind of reconciliation.

#Abandonware

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
How much work is required on specific UT stuff now, I mean once we get that vanishing mythical unicorn of a mainlined Linux kernel which serves both Android and GNU Linux. Then we can all have horrible bin drivers for at least one kernel version of everything. Kinda like the situation we have with the Maemo tablets and phones.
AFAIK the mess of UT is mostly due to android specific video drivers requiring surfaceflinger and whatever does android sound and having to do a localhost VNC for video kludge/hack to (badly) run normal x11 apps.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
They're defaulting back to Gnome for next year's LTS, and it sounds more ominous for UT.

Ubuntu 18.04 To Ship with GNOME Desktop, Not Unity
By Joey Sneddon under Breaking 1 min ago

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS will use GNOME as its default desktop environment, not Unity.

In an extraordinary blog post that I have yet to fully digest, Mark Shuttleworth has announced that Canonical is to end its investment in Unity 8, Ubuntu for Phones and tablets, and end its ambition to seek “convergence”.

“I’m writing to let you know that we will end our investment in Unity8, the phone and convergence shell,” he writes.

“We will shift our default Ubuntu desktop back to GNOME for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS.”

“We will continue to produce the most usable open source desktop in the world, to maintain the existing LTS releases, to work with our commercial partners to distribute that desktop, to support our corporate customers who rely on it, and to delight the millions of IoT and cloud developers who innovate on top of it,” he says.

Wow.

Details are still scant as this news is literally just breaking. This post will be updated as I sup my coffee and resolve the shock.
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/04/u...ktop-not-unity

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Ubuntu on a phone was a bad decision to me to begin with. Other bad decisions were made and it seems as if the user will ultimately lose an option due to these decisions.

Can't say that I'm surprised.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 286 | Thanked: 259 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Cambridge, England
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Ubuntu on a phone was a bad decision to me to begin with.
Curious as to why you thought it was a bad idea? I think it showed promise and was an interesting alternative os for phones, but took too long.

Rich

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to richie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
everything took them to loooooooooong. And at the end they didn't deliver anything. And mainly because they wanted Mir while wayland was good enough for everybody else.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by richie View Post
Curious as to why you thought it was a bad idea? I think it showed promise and was an interesting alternative os for phones, but took too long.

Rich
It didn't seem like it was truly their focus. The announcements, the approach all seemed to be a proof of concept; not something that was clearly thought out with the user in mind. It was an unnecessary tech demo.

That's the reasoning behind my statement. No soul was put into this endeavor by the most forward-facing people. I do not doubt the engineers that probably truly wanted it to happen. I just did not get that same sense of purpose from all of the people that handled the PR, announcements and even direction.

Commit, go big, prove the world needs what you're capable of doing, market it or at least announce it well... and then do it. That clearly did not happen. And that sucks... we need more options. Not less.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by richie View Post
It wasn't a bad idea. It was bad execution. Going against the grain of rest of Linux ecosystem (Mir. vs Wayland etc.) will make it much more costly to keep it competitive. Personally more destructive was the architecture decisions to mimic Apple's restrictive application lifecycle model. It strangled pretty much my own interest in the platform.

SailfishOS has a much more sensible approach that I can get behind with true multitasking and fewer restrictions on applications.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post: