Active Topics

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
From OMG!!!Ubuntu: The world’s first Ubuntu Tablet will go on pre-sale this coming Monday, March 28.

The Aquaris M10 Ubuntu Edition tablet will be available to pre-order in two versions: a HD (1280 x 800) model and a high-spec FHD (1920 x 1200) model.
Pricing TBA.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
good news! Now jolla needs to transfer the funds to us so we can buy a tablet.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
good news! Now jolla needs to transfer the funds to us so we can buy a tablet.
Well, you might want to instead get the new smaller Ipad pro. Would go nicely with your iphone 6. There is a slider keyboard available for the Iphone 6 that also looks nice. Allot you can do with that refund!

http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/21/a...s-on-preview/#

http://www.amazon.com/BoxWave-Keyboa.../dp/B00NMY9X1I

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
If it ships to the U.S.--sold!ˇ

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Exciting stuff. I love the idea of a tablet that you can use as a desktop PC by connecting it to a docking station or separate keyboard / mouse. Looking forward to the first reviews.

The Following User Says Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Well, you might want to instead get the new smaller Ipad pro. Would go nicely with your iphone 6. There is a slider keyboard available for the Iphone 6 that also looks nice. Allot you can do with that refund!

http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/21/a...s-on-preview/#

http://www.amazon.com/BoxWave-Keyboa.../dp/B00NMY9X1I
Isn't a 9.7" iPad pro just an iPad?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Isn't a 9.7" iPad pro just an iPad?
No. You have to pay $100 USD extra for those three letters that spell "Pro" and the two extra speakers that scream across the room (when it's not obscured by a very expensive case) that your iPad is a Pro.

Sheesh. Get it right.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
No. You have to pay $100 USD extra for those three letters that spell "Pro" and the two extra speakers that scream across the room (when it's not obscured by a very expensive case) that your iPad is a Pro.

Sheesh. Get it right.
Dunno if it's the stylus or the extra horsepower in the pro (or something else) but the iPad Pro runs the full version of the clinical software used in my wife's office, with all the features of the desktop/laptop version (without lugging a fugly "convertible" tablet). The plain old iPad (iPad amateur?) only runs the pared-down version that smartphones get.

Not to say there aren't plenty of well-heeled poseurs that get the "Pro" for the name, but some professional users do need the extra features and power, and the price premium is easily justified by even a small productivity boost over a tablet's working life.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

Sheesh. Get it right.
Ha Ha! You folks are fantastic! The main difference is that the Pro has that wonderfully unique keyboard and apple pencil accessory so you can be more PROductive let alone professional. I'm sure cut and paste works beyond anyone's dreams on this device. Dave999 are you listening?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Ha Ha! You folks are fantastic! The main difference is that the Pro has that wonderfully unique keyboard and apple pencil accessory so you can be more PROductive let alone professional. I'm sure cut and paste works beyond anyone's dreams on this device. Dave999 are you listening?
I'll be honest. I own the 12" iPad Pro alongside an Apple Pencil and have to support that in my office endeavors. I don't use the keyboard, it folds weirdly - but I have embraced the input of the stylus... erm, pencil as being rather intuitive and the palm rejection even better than the Microsoft Surface Pro 4 and the Surface Pen.

As a creative, the iPad Pro has become an indispensable part of my workflow.

As a developer, the iPad Pro is nearly useless.

As an admin... the iPad Pro has some uses actually.

Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
Dunno if it's the stylus or the extra horsepower in the pro (or something else) but the iPad Pro runs the full version of the clinical software used in my wife's office, with all the features of the desktop/laptop version (without lugging a fugly "convertible" tablet). The plain old iPad (iPad amateur?) only runs the pared-down version that smartphones get.

Not to say there aren't plenty of well-heeled poseurs that get the "Pro" for the name, but some professional users do need the extra features and power, and the price premium is easily justified by even a small productivity boost over a tablet's working life.
It's mostly about the CPU (A9X) and the display technology (which is how it's compatible with the Apple Pencil) that differentiates the Apple iPad Pro against the iPad Air 2. Same resolution, different (faster) CPU/GPU, compatibility with the Pencil, 4 speakers (that actually makes a difference while watching Netflix/Amazon Video/VLC) and of course the accessories. There's other minor differences, RAM on the 12" iPad Pro (4GB) vs 9" iPad Pro (2GB) but that affects software performance in odd areas (what's switched out of memory, whatnot) but to me... if you're married to that ecosystem, the Pro + Pencil does work its magic. If you're not married to that ecosystem, just stay clear.

I just feel like I'm breaking the laws of physics using Microsoft Word on my Apple iPad Pro and getting work done. Weird stuff indeed.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: