Active Topics

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
From OMG!!!1!Ubuntu!, because I love excess punctuation:

Canonical plans to feature the work of the community-led Ubuntu porting programme in its booth at this year’s Mobile World Congress event.

The Ubuntu stand will host devices from Fairphone, OnePlus and Sony, all running community-supported versions of Ubuntu (Touch), including efforts spearheaded by the UbuPorts Project.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
I hope this comes to pass - viewing the Ubuntu Touch Ports wiki is a sad experience: the initial flush of enthusiasm soon faded, leaving precious few viable alternatives for your average tech competent user.

Fairphone with UT is tempting. The OS is progressing and Canonical developers do engage with the community and are WELL AWARE of the common gripes. Right now, we have what may be the best looking, heavily developed email client in mobile land (and it works a treat too).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by handaxe View Post
Fairphone with UT is tempting. The OS is progressing and Canonical developers do engage with the community and are WELL AWARE of the common gripes. Right now, we have what may be the best looking, heavily developed email client in mobile land (and it works a treat too).
No dependencies ("apt-get install" doesn't work in read-only filesystem), no multi-tasking por common softwares, no softwares created with Python, etc.

Many developers complained about these issues since 2 years ago, but were not considered at all. Including me.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2016-02-06 at 14:51.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
there is no multitasking, really?

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
there is no multitasking, really?
That seems to be the case, if you believe hundreds of reports on TMO and TJC.
I do, which is why I have stayed away from a UT device so far.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
it is true that common people arent interested in multitasking since they do one thing at time, but UT doesnt seems to be targeting masses, since its Ui/UX is different from IOS/Android/tizen UI

The Following User Says Thank You to itdoesntmatt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
feels like jolla demoing sailfish

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
UbuntuPhone is based on libhybris. So thumbs-up for Ubuntu if they can share a working libhybris hardware adaptation for SailfishOS to use.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
it is true that common people arent interested in multitasking since they do one thing at time, but UT doesnt seems to be targeting masses, since its Ui/UX is different from IOS/Android/tizen UI
I think that the belief that the common individ. isn't interested in multitasking is the biggest load of hooey in the world.
Show me one teenager ...throughout the ages...who wasn't listening to music, watching tv, playing a game (of some kind), talking to their friends (and / or texting) , surfing the web (nowadays) and doing their homework all at the same time....

And that is just teens...

I'm no teen .. but I know that I tend to have more than one process, program or application running at the same time..
reading a book and listening to music...etc.

This belief that no one wants multitasking is beyond buffoonery ...
It isn't that people don't want multitasking...or they aren't screaming for it...
They populace are expecting multitasking as a "de facto" (or matter of fact)...they don't have to voice it...it is an expectation from the technology...

Just wait for the 1st review of it running...
doing something on device ...then ...what the hell...incoming call...message...email...whatever...I'm guessing that answering that call (or whatever) while doing something else constitutes multitasking...so said program shuts down ...to answer the call...
and that to me...that sucks..big giant testicles ..

I've been doing some reading for a bit on the new Ubuntu phone...
and what it "can" do in multitasking results in heating up stupidly ...and draining the battery ridiculously ...(even while in sleep mode) after such usage..

I would love a device which is part of an iot ..so my laptop could run the same as what is on my phone or tv...or sync everything together..but ubuntu phone isn't ready just yet...
I think they're close ...but not quite yet.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2016-02-08 at 22:06.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:

Sadly yes. The mobile/tablet landscape is not much different from the early 2000's who realised they had a use for a computer and that was what they wanted to do.

A big part of the reason why PC sales are declining, is not because they are bad in anyway. PC geeks are still buying and making their own, but those who had no other choice but to buy a PC now have a plethora of devices to chose from that can excel in a way that is simplistic enough for the activity they choose.

People are not geeks, we are the geeks. We live in a world of consumers where people ask “what can this thing do for me” and not “what can I make this do?”.

Last edited by MINKIN2; 2016-02-09 at 18:36.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post: