Active Topics

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Elleo View Post
X11 apps can be persuaded to run via XMir, that sort of thing is still in pretty active development though and not yet ready for prime time.

That said Will Cooke already managed to get Libre Office running directly on the phone: https://plus.google.com/+WillCooke/posts/eNUArFBzh3W
What is XMir? Why not Simply call it just Mir. Why the X? Just call the whole package mir

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-02-08 at 22:04.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
What is XMir? Why not Simply call it just Mir. Why the X?
XMir != Mir
Dave, this has all been discussed many times before, you were present, believe it or not.
Sometimes I really worry for you, it's like you have the long-term memory of a fruit fly, I kid :P

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
XMir != Mir
Dave, this has all been discussed many times before, you were present, believe it or not.
Sometimes I really worry for you, it's like you have the long-term memory of a fruit fly, I kid :P
xMir flying like a fruit fly on top of mir so why not box it together as a mir bundle. Mir. Just Mir. I'm always present, I Kid you not :P

By the way. Do you follow stskeeps hunt for open bits in ubuntu? I have a feeling it will end up as a pissing contest Sail vs ubuntu .

https://twitter.com/stskeeps/status/564363621476872193

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-02-09 at 07:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
xMir flying like a fruit fly on top of mir so why not box it together as a mir bundle. Mir. Just Mir. I'm always present, I Kid you not :P

By the way. Do you follow stskeeps hunt for open bits in ubuntu? I have a feeling it will end up as a pissing contest Sail vs ubuntu .

https://twitter.com/stskeeps/status/564363621476872193
I'd be shocked if it's not hugely more open than Sailfish / the Jolla, re: availability of sources and ease of finding them ... and would seem that will very probably be the case if responses are to be believed. Development is conducted more or less completely in the open, also, unlike Sailfish.

As stskeeps rightly observes, his comments are like throwing stones in a glass house ... or in my view like pissing into the wind. Maybe frustration with situation at Jolla?

Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
I'd be shocked if it's not hugely more open than Sailfish / the Jolla, re: availability of sources and ease of finding them ... and would seem that will very probably be the case if responses are to be believed. Development is conducted more or less completely in the open, also, unlike Sailfish.

As stskeeps rightly observes, his comments are like throwing stones in a glass house ... or in my view like pissing into the wind. Maybe frustration with situation at Jolla?
Personally I think its good when someone poking around. Especially for me as an end-user. But when you work for a competitor you can easy get burned later on in da glass house. My hope is that they come up with a great and easy dual boot from menu so I can switch between sail and ubuntu on daily basis without changing device. That is what they should talk about

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-02-10 at 10:13.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post

Nah. Getting GPL compliance right with a mobile device is a horrible mess. You need to provide exactly the sources utilized in the system image the user uses. Mediatek kernels are horrible when it comes to GPL compliance. When Android is in the mix (hw adaptation), it becomes even more fun*

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/resou...nce-guide.html

If you are already having to ask where sources are, there's a problem. Pointing to a git repository isn't enough for a binary deliverable.

EDIT: And for good measure: I mention 'stones in a glasshouse' this because nobody is doing this stuff perfectly. Shipping DVDs with source code (as really is one of the options) is nowhere perfect, may have flaws. But I really hope for their sake they have their legal checks right -- it can stop shipments right in the spot.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2015-02-10 at 11:25.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Ubuntu Aquarius commercial - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWuOSwg7e0g It's so nice you will watch it twice.

(they have been more than generous towards jollla price maybe that is a hint to jolla to fix their pricing ) iPhone is OFC most expensive one.

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-02-10 at 20:57.

Introducing the first Ubuntu smartphone: the BQ Aquaris E45 Ubuntu Edition.
Available to purchase for a limited time from 09:00-18:00 CET on Wednesday 11th February.
Buy directly from BQ www.bq.com/gb/ubuntu.html

Be quick and start enjoying a world of new experiences.
~ Canonical

The Following User Says Thank You to switch-hitter For This Useful Post:
I actually like the scope thing. Or to be precise, I dislike the app ecosystem stuff, and I think that phones don't really *need* apps, but more have everything melted into the OS like scope does.

But right now it seems that this phone is more mainstream than other: it connects to google, Facebook, instagram, grooveshar… But what about open-source ? I want CalDav, CardDav, WebDav, Owncloud, Fever or TTRSS, I want to be able to connect to (s)FTP easily and integrated to the phone like the rest...

If someone has any info on what of these will be available I'd greatly appreciate it :-)

Also, what do you guys think of the viability of this phone ? Will they allow to integrate our own stuffs easily ? Like, if I know HTML/JS will I be able to make new scopes etc… ?

There's too much questions, how can they think we can make a decision so abruptly ?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sandy_locke For This Useful Post:
You don't have to decide today...this isn't last chance to buy a uPhOne.

Your time will come...

I would like to see Aquaris 6 Full Hd Ubuntu edition deluxe.

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-02-11 at 07:09.