Active Topics

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
I guess it must have only been a problem on my side, because debootstrap kept failing for me while trying to use the default script.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ VA, USA
Are you going to put up screen shots or pics of the n800? I would like to see this in action =D

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
I would if i was able to get the virtual-keyboard to work in Ubuntu , i'm still trying to hunt down what keeps crashing the desktop when ever i press a key with matchbox-keyboard/xkbd/xvkbd/ubuntu-virtual-keyboard. If anyone could help in fixing this problem, i would really, really appreciate it.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

The keyboard issue is finally fixed and i've added a screenshot, take a look.

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 253 | Thanked: 104 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Midwest, USA
Just a couple things:
1.) Near the end of the 1st post, you say to chroot and then you start to mount /dev, etc. You either have to exit after the chroot or switch around the order of those commands (you can't mount /dev or /dev/pts, etc while you're in the Jaunty root).
2.) I'd include instructions to activate swap. I'm guessing this is something you've already done, otherwise I'm not sure how you got this to install without it...It's not essential for the bootstrap process, but gnome dependencies and especially the locales are gonna require a bit of RAM to avoid crashing.
3.) I see from your screenshot that you have composite shadows enabled. Is that slowing it down significantly or is it about as fast?

Last edited by neatojones; 2009-01-11 at 21:45.

The Following User Says Thank You to neatojones For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the tips and for pointing that error out , i'll update the guide sometime tonight or tomorrow.

Also, i havn't encountered any significant speed los in activating the composite manager. But that might verry depending on how much swap you use. I'm currently using 356mb of swap.

UPDATE: applyed the changes

Last edited by b-man; 2009-01-12 at 03:30.

I only seem to be able to get the debootstrap to work from another debian (Deblet, ubuntu). It keeps stopping at the very beginning with this error in Maemo:

Nokia-N810-43-7:/mnt/jaunty# debootstrap --include="language-pack-en,language-pack-en-base,dmsetup,cryptsetup,hashalot,nano,sudo" --components=main,multiverse,universe,restricted --verbose --arch=armel jaunty /mnt/jaunty http://ports.ubuntu.com/ /usr/share/debootstrap/scripts/jaunty
I: Retrieving Release
I: Retrieving Packages
I: Validating Packages
W: http://ports.ubuntu.com/dists/jaunty...el/Packages.gz was corrupt
I: Retrieving Packages
E: Couldn't download dists/jaunty/main/binary-armel/Packages

This happens both with the debootstrap package from launchpad jaunty and the jaunty file posted in the first post in Maemo. Both Deblet and Ubuntu debootstrap this just fine.

Any ideas why Maemo would be choking like this?

Last edited by neatojones; 2009-01-12 at 23:46.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by neatojones View Post
I only seem to be able to get the debootstrap to work from another debian (Deblet, ubuntu).

Any ideas why Maemo would be choking like this?
/bin/md5sum missing (get it from deblet)
binutils not installed
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
/bin/md5sum missing (get it from deblet)
binutils not installed
binutils is the one from chinook repos (could this be the problem?) I think debootsrap depends binutils. Which binutils are you using?
Also, I see no /bin/md5sum in my maemo install, but jaunty install doesn't have it either and it debootstraps fine.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by neatojones View Post
binutils is the one from chinook repos (could this be the problem?) I think debootsrap depends binutils. Which binutils are you using?
Also, I see no /bin/md5sum in my maemo install, but jaunty install doesn't have it either and it debootstraps fine.
Right. It's probably in /usr/bin/md5sum on your jaunty install. Again, grab md5sum from the deblet installer deb (just unpack it and grab it from within the tree) and put it in /bin/md5sum or whereever it fits
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n8x0, ubuntu