Active Topics

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
If you add both repos to sorces.lst that will cause major package conflicts unfortunately
e.g. gnomevfs package from Mer would override gnomevfs packages from Ubuntu witch would make it allmost impossible to install a nother desktops other than hildon that depend on gnomevfs. it would also likely cause other unstability problems within the system since some applications depend on package versions that are spacific to the os. Also, dispite Ubuntu being based on Debian, ubuntu uses a slightly different filestructure than debian. e.g. gdm for debian won't work in ubuntu due to some spacific differences in LSB.

Most of the deblet packages that i included don't have the following issues and that's why i'm including them in the install.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Sounds like it would be a good idea to look into pinning the priority of certain packages or repos depending on what you want to accomplish. Pinning Ubuntu higher than Mer in this case seems reasonable: That way you'll get packages from Ubuntu, unless it doesn't exist in ubuntu, then you'll get it from Mer. try: man apt_preferences or google "apt pinning"

The Following User Says Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Thanks! , i'll definitely look into that
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Were you able to make eny progress with the keyboard issue by eny chance? i'm still trying to figure out what causes the virtual keyboard to crash the desktop in Mer and Ubuntu.
No. I changed my xmodmap to use the CHR key instead of the FN key and that works fine (since the CHR key is useless in even deblet).

But the FN key does not send a keycode at all.. I'm not sure if this a fault with the Keyboard mapping, xorg, or what... but you run xev and press FN and get nothing.

Until I can get the FN key to send a keycode I won't be able to fix the xmodmap to work with Mer. But using CHR instead is functional, albeit a tad inconvenient.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

I updated the second post to include apt-pinning to make instaalling ubuntu a lot more simple/sane.

PS: Alot of packages that appear missing in the ubuntu repos... if you add to /etc/apt/sources.list:

Code:
deb-src http://ports.ubuntu.com jaunty main restricted universe multiverse
Then you can do, for example,

Code:
apt-get build-dep xchat
apt-get -b source xchat
I'm currently running that now... wonder if it'll complete . I've gotten a couple of packages to build for me.

ETA:

Well ok.. Xchat doesn't work cuz some of the broken packages required by Mer.. (gnome/GTK packages)... but software that DOESN'T require certain gtk libs should work .
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2009-01-05 at 02:32.

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
why don't you just

apt-get install xchat-gnome?

qwerty12 compiled xchat for mer, but i have no idea if it would work in gnome...

I really hope that these problems with gnomevfs can be fixed someday...

Last edited by meizirkki; 2009-01-05 at 07:15.

b-man: did you make some changes to the bootstrap script, or is it just the basic jaunty script?

I did changes to the bootstrap script, the one provided from debootstrap is just a symlink to gusty, witch doesn't seem to work properly with jaunty. Witch is why i provided a separate script for jaunty.

i have had no problem with Gutsy script
devenlopers @ #ubuntu-arm told me to use it once

Tags
nokia n8x0, ubuntu