Active Topics

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Just got this link from Ubuntu...

https://insights.ubuntu.com/2016/02/...m_term=tablet&

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Some more info plus even moar extra exclamation marks from OMG! Ubuntu!

Last edited by robthebold; 2016-02-04 at 16:33. Reason: Moar Exclamation Marks! Cause it's OMG!Ubuntu! after all!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
The fetish the Ubuntu devs have with forking nearly every app (eg. their email client) and maintaining their own display server instead of supporting upstream software really puls me off.

Also what I've heard so far Ubuntu Touch is lacking basic apps big time. Most services like Facebook just opens in a web browser.

Furthermore I've been told there's no plans for Android app support. Good luck Canonical.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LouisDK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Can you install desktop applications?

You betcha! The tablet also even ships with a set of legacy X11 apps pre-installed:

Mozilla Firefox
LibreOffice
The GIMP
XChat
Gedit

Some of these might not look very pretty right running through the xMir layer but they’re present and working (which is all that matters).

Guys, you Love xMir, right

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2016-02-04 at 16:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by LouisDK View Post
The fetish the Ubuntu devs have with forking nearly every app (eg. their email client) and maintaining their own display server instead of supporting upstream software really puls me off.

Also what I've heard so far Ubuntu Touch is lacking basic apps big time. Most services like Facebook just opens in a web browser.

Furthermore I've been told there's no plans for Android app support. Good luck Canonical.
Some folks have gotten some android apps to work on Ubuntu. Not sure how well they work and how much it is hit and miss. When I get a chance I'll give it a try as I already have an Ubuntu "tablet".

https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorial...ux-with-archon

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
This looks like a good replacement for my aging touchpad. Looking forward to hearing if Debian can be installed on it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post: