Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
jI guess for now a separate mail account with push set and all others to manual is best option for you.

I am pretty sure that it should be possible with some coding (e.g. python):
dbus listening for new mails and filtering text, then with aplay or something else playing sound.
I am also sure similar have been done for N900 already but I cannot remember for SFOS...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 707 times | Joined on May 2015 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Veraendert View Post
Thanks so far, i've set up a separate mail account, that probably helps a bit. There is no way to alter the sound of email notification i presume?
Of course you can! Go to Settings -> Sounds & feedback -> Email and set the loudest you want
Attached Images

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to claustn For This Useful Post:
@claustn: Thanks, maybe i wasn't clear enough: I only have the option to edit the alarm sound for every e-mail, regardless of what account it was sent to. That way, if i check for mails from my "normal" account, there would be an alarm sound every time there's new mail. So while i could use some siren sound for e-mail alarms, this would probably not be a good idea e.g. at work.

Ideally, there would be a specific sound for that e-mail account overriding everything and playing at full volume.

But the setup i have now is already a lot better than what i had before thanks to everyone. I really appreciate it. Checking your email every 5 minutes on a 20km run sucked.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Veraendert For This Useful Post:
Posts: 301 | Thanked: 531 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ The Netherlands
In case you are located in The Netherlands: dds.nl offers the sms service. An account is 32,50/year, text message 0,10-0,12 euro each.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob_kouw For This Useful Post:
I'm in Germany. And this would still mean that i'd get an alarm sound every time i receive an SMS. Which isn't that often but still often enough.

The Following User Says Thank You to Veraendert For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 707 times | Joined on May 2015 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Veraendert View Post
@claustn: Thanks, maybe i wasn't clear enough: I only have the option to edit the alarm sound for every e-mail, regardless of what account it was sent to. That way, if i check for mails from my "normal" account, there would be an alarm sound every time there's new mail. So while i could use some siren sound for e-mail alarms, this would probably not be a good idea e.g. at work.

Ideally, there would be a specific sound for that e-mail account overriding everything and playing at full volume.

But the setup i have now is already a lot better than what i had before thanks to everyone. I really appreciate it. Checking your email every 5 minutes on a 20km run sucked.
I agree that separate alarms for each account would be the best, but you can also have an Ambience for running with the loud email tone and another one for everything else. Or use the Situations app to change stuff according to where you are.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to claustn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 862 | Thanked: 2,511 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Germany
I would do it with dbus.
For sms you can look here:

https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100848

And the email application has a session dbus interface (com.jolla.email.ui) maybe it is helpful.

https://together.jolla.com/question/...e-information/

https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=92303

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Halftux For This Useful Post:
You can quite easily connect some kind of prototype board with modem to the 'real' alarm device which, when will be activated, will send you SMS. Easy to do but you need some electronics technician/engineer in your place to do it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trzyzet For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by claustn View Post
I agree that separate alarms for each account would be the best, but you can also have an Ambience for running with the loud email tone and another one for everything else. Or use the Situations app to change stuff according to where you are.
Mabe i'll just let the app check if i'm connected to known wifi (which means i'm at home or at work and will likely have the alarm device with me) and act accordingly. I'll give it a try.

That's me yesterday btw. 3rd one from left. The good looking one.
Attached Images

Last edited by Veraendert; 2020-04-16 at 14:09.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Veraendert For This Useful Post:
Posts: 48 | Thanked: 191 times | Joined on Jan 2016 @ Münsterland, Germany
@veraendert: I'm a volunteer in the german civil protection service and my local unit decided to use a tool named divera for alerting us. Unfortunately there is also only an iOS or Android app, thus is "suffer" from the same problem. Which App is your fire brigade using?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xelo For This Useful Post: