Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
The difference of the Harmattan boot and Nitdroid boot is in the preinit file it launches, you propably should check that your "/sbin/preinit_nitdroid" file is corret.

And also, as long as you ar onto it, I'd advice you to use the default Harmattan preinit file instead of the one I provide as "/sbin/preinit_harmattan" in the preinits.tar file... many people report that the file in the archive is not so reliable as the original Harmattan preinit. (I trimmed it down a bit, removed parts that I did not think were that useful and maybe I went a bit too far...)
It is working fine with the prenits that you have provided so I am going to run with it for now. My main aim of getting ubiboot was to install nemo so I can decide on my next phone. I am thinking b/w sailfish and canonical right now. Hope this helps me decide.

The Following User Says Thank You to ncik For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
That reminds me of another remark :
in your cut down preinit_harmattan is only one problem (compared your version with original one), the early start up of usb network! You remember?
I have it commented out, but now as I write I believe a configurable option could be nice to have early telnet/ssh possibilty during harmattan as we have in nitdroid and nemo. But I do not know if it makes sense at all and how to fetch config values in preinit? Do you get me, juiceme? Or just talking bullsh.t?
Well yes you are right maybe that should be removed once and for all... Having that option in preinit messes up the VOIP and in Harmattan you cannot really access the device via SSH until fairly late stage of boot, it's better to get to the device via seral adapter and R&D mode*if that is required.

For preinit_nitdroid I also would like to fetch config values from ubiboot.conf, but who cares? Only me probably and so I just edit the preinit_nitdroid directly. Maybe one day I will get it starting from p5 !?
First thing that comes up my mind is tagging the place in the preinit with some nice symbol, something like G_IP_ADDRESS_TO_BE_ASSIGNED and then in ubiboot domain to run sed on the file and replace that with the desired address.
That would work just once, though as of course on the second run it had already been changed.
Having a bit more complex sed script, you could well have a marker there to signify the place of replacement so that is leaves the marker section there for subsequent runs.
Possible, but is it useful for many people?

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Well yes you are right maybe that should be removed once and for all... Having that option in preinit messes up the VOIP and in Harmattan you cannot really access the device via SSH until fairly late stage of boot, it's better to get to the device via seral adapter and R&D mode*if that is required.
Yep, please remove that then.
And thanks for confirmation (of my bs talk )! I had smth like that in mind, but ...

First thing that comes up my mind is tagging the place in the preinit with some nice symbol, something like G_IP_ADDRESS_TO_BE_ASSIGNED and then in ubiboot domain to run sed on the file and replace that with the desired address.
That would work just once, though as of course on the second run it had already been changed.
Having a bit more complex sed script, you could well have a marker there to signify the place of replacement so that is leaves the marker section there for subsequent runs.
Possible, but is it useful for many people?
Nope, probably not.
But again thanks for pointing to me a possible way to do it (in init of ubiboot). If I am going to do so, I will send you sources. But I do not think so, as it will be only me using p5 for nitdroid nd wanting an own unique IP address. So direct edit will be okay.

But configuration for IP and DHCP range would be nice in ubiboot.

--info
today I got nitdroid booted from p5 (call me dumb *ss, as it was again a wrong link
but some error popped up about android worker process stopped
now I need to fix that but maybe it is just due to some SIM card registration failure I have since today?!?

Yes! It is working.

Next step will be booting harmattan with rootfs from p5.
Any idea how to block access to p2, so we can be sure that everything is loaded from p5?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2013-06-23 at 19:21. Reason: nitdroid booting from p5

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 428 | Thanked: 226 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Philippines
Hi Friends,

It's been quite a while since I have posted...this "ubiboot-02" is great!

I gave it a try and so far so good; was able to boot up with Harmattan/NITDroid/Nemo. However, I got a little confused with the steps documented in the README file. I participate in a local forum site here in the Philippines where there are also enthusiasts of the Nokia N900 and Nokia N9/50. They are also interested in ubiboot-02, but they did share the same sentiment (that they got confused with the README).

So what I did is to document the steps that I took to get this to work. Initially I intended to have this for personal use, but then again, I thought it might benefit others. Hence, I hope you won't mind if I share this here too. I already converted it to PDF, but I also have the original document.

There are file size restrictions so I wasn't able to attach the documents directly using the Attachment Tool. I uploaded it via Mediafire instead: http://www.mediafire.com/folder/4zua...6cy/ubiboot-02

I have also recorded a video of the steps. I am just converting the videos and will upload (will edit this post accordingly).

Last edited by topet2k12001; 2013-06-23 at 18:45. Reason: Fix minor grammatical error

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topet2k12001 For This Useful Post:
Hi Friends,

I attempted to make my first Wiki Page. I used the Ubiboot Steps to make it. Please review and hope you like it. Feedback is most welcome (preferably via PM as I am not always online on the forums).

http://wiki.maemo.org/Ubiboot

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to topet2k12001 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by topet2k12001 View Post
Hi Friends,

I attempted to make my first Wiki Page. I used the Ubiboot Steps to make it. Please review and hope you like it. Feedback is most welcome (preferably via PM as I am not always online on the forums).

http://wiki.maemo.org/Ubiboot
Thanks, on first reading the guide seems to be pretty complete
I also attempted my first wiki page edit, and I added skeiron as the mirror location of ubiboot files.

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Hej juiceme,

I think I spotted some hurdle when trying to boot harmattan from p5.

Taking a deeper look into the files compiled into the kernel, I have seen that you symlink /etc/passwd and /etc/group directly hardcoded from /mnt/2/etc/ passwd respective /mnt/2/etc/group.
This is what I wanted to avoid (to have the need for some harmattan files/dirs accessible on p2).

I edited /init (attached), but I am absolutely not sure if this will work.
When, at what time, the ubi system needs passwd and group?
If it is only when launching a shell, I think my small modification (peterleinchen 1) may work. But when it is already needed for starting /init itself, then I am doomed. In first case what about the maintenance mode: do we need it here also as it starts a shell (I have begun to modify: peterleinchen 2)?
Please take a look and let me know, please.

And i thought about changing the log location to /mnt/p1/boot/log (peterleinchen 3) as this location is visible to all operating systems and easily to access for everybody. I thought also about saving log to the selected OS /var/log location, but after rethinking discarded this idea. What do you think? (of course this needs to be fixed in all files then as well)

And I edited the wiki for the open mode preparation as Jonni told us. I did not do it this way, but it cannot harm nor cause trouble to try out (if you wanna flash)!

-- oops
forgot the attachment, corrected.
Attached Files
File Type: txt init.txt (11.6 KB, 132 views)

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2013-06-25 at 17:24. Reason: added attachment

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
@juiceme: thanks for reviewing and for adding the mirror site.

@peterleinchen: thanks for adding the tip. Actually, I am aware that when the device is newly flashed, the "prepare for Open-Mode" steps will not be required because the folders ./accounts, ./aegis, and ./activesync are still at an empty state, but I just had to put it in there for "mistake-proofing" of "fool-proofing" (I conscientiously thought that there will be a lot of end-users who will try out Ubiboot), just to be sure.

By the way, I cleaned up your edit a bit for formatting consistency, hope you won't mind.

The Following User Says Thank You to topet2k12001 For This Useful Post:
Taking a deeper look into the files compiled into the kernel, I have seen that you symlink /etc/passwd and /etc/group directly hardcoded from /mnt/2/etc/ passwd respective /mnt/2/etc/group.
This is what I wanted to avoid (to have the need for some harmattan files/dirs accessible on p2).

I edited /init (attached), but I am absolutely not sure if this will work.
When, at what time, the ubi system needs passwd and group?
If it is only when launching a shell, I think my small modification (peterleinchen 1) may work. But when it is already needed for starting /init itself, then I am doomed. In first case what about the maintenance mode: do we need it here also as it starts a shell (I have begun to modify: peterleinchen 2)?
Please take a look and let me know, please.

And i thought about changing the log location to /mnt/p1/boot/log (peterleinchen 3) as this location is visible to all operating systems and easily to access for everybody. I thought also about saving log to the selected OS /var/log location, but after rethinking discarded this idea. What do you think? (of course this needs to be fixed in all files then as well)
Hi!

I reviewed your changes, and there are some things to note.

First thing, though, you have an older version of init, where you are placing your modifications. Your version does not contain the corrected watchdog kicker and it has the incorrect BME initialization which cause the rev.1603 boot problems with Harmattan. Also the boot partition configuration changes are missing.

Here is the current version of init from the latest ubiboot-02: init.txt

Then, comments about the edits:

1. Actually the symlinks to /etc/passwd and /etc/group are not used for anything at all at the moment. The files are there just as I am trying to get SSHD to work. SSHD requires the entries to manage userids, and my idea here was to symlink those from the Harmattan side so that I could reuse the Harmattan credentials on ubiboot domain. This is maybe a futile idea anyway, so the files are totally excess as of current. (meaning, just do not care if the links point to nothing at all...)

2. About choosing the logging location. Yes, you are absolutely correct there are far better places than Harmattan's /var/log/ to store the logs, obvious location would be of course where ubiboot.conf and the cpio are. Or it could be made configurable in the conf file.
I do not remember exactly what I was thinking when decided to put the logs there... maybe it went on something like, if there's a problem with something users tend do look into /var/log/ to see if there's a hint of the cause...

1. Actually the symlinks to /etc/passwd and /etc/group are not used for anything at all at the moment. The files are there just as I am trying to get SSHD to work. SSHD requires the entries to manage userids, and my idea here was to symlink those from the Harmattan side so that I could reuse the Harmattan credentials on ubiboot domain. This is maybe a futile idea anyway, so the files are totally excess as of current. (meaning, just do not care if the links point to nothing at all...)
There is a similar situation when remote-unlocking an encrypted hard drive. In that scenario, passwd is empty and the auth is key-based. This may be feasible in this case.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caveman For This Useful Post: