Closed Thread
Originally Posted by Darkwolf View Post
Hello Steve Jobs, can you please stop trolling on our Maemo forums by making such stupid threads?
I know you are bored with all these pointless fart apps on your iPhone, but aren't you going a bit too much bellow yourself with this new hobby of yours?
again with the fart apps. please. if that's all you think the iphone has then you aren't really qualified to comment. If it's just a cheap dig, then it's a naive one.

Originally Posted by andraeseus1 View Post
and we have sygic!!!!!!!!
and the iphone has tom tom or co-pilot. what's your point?

Again. The N900 is a fantastic device for what it can do. But in an app competition it doesn't even qualify for entry.

The Following User Says Thank You to Freemantle For This Useful Post:
After 3 months with this device:

- N900 is a poor mobile phone. Cant even do things that very cheap mobiles can (mms, 3g video calls, one hand sms, etc...).

- N900 is a mediocre tablet. I mean, what sort of tablet doesnt give you an office suite? If you want to edit an xls, you should mess up with google docs etc. Even mid-range smartphones have an option to get a full office suite.

A solid, good quality device, but rather poor in terms of usability.

From a developers point of view, it may be the perfect tool. For everyday people/end users, its usability is rather limited.

Such a promising device but not warmly supported from the manufacturer.

Last edited by madnes; 2010-04-01 at 09:13.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to madnes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
Apple is trying too hard to make 'an app for that' for every single instance of web space that doesnt have flash,and he does that miserably.....justintv for instance.....no 3G streaming and crappy as hell.........please go kiss mr jobs ***.byebye

Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by madnes View Post
After 3 months with this device:

- N900 is a poor mobile phone. Cant even do things that very cheap mobiles can (mms, 3g video calls, one hand sms, etc...).
It can do mms (even though it's not very useful for me.. just expensive). You can use one hand (now with PR1.2). 3g video calls (i am not sure as i don't use it.. too expensive)

- N900 is a mediocre tablet. I mean, what sort of tablet doesnt give you an office suite? If you want to edit an xls, you should mess up with google docs etc. Even mid-range smartphones have an option to get a full office suite.
You could do more than just xls. Just install Easy Debian and you will have a full office suite, a photoshop "clone" called Gimp and what ever els you need on a full desktop.

A solid, good quality device, but rather poor in terms of usability.

As with all new devices you need to learn how it works. I think everything is placed pretty logical and if you are not happy you could change it (can an iphone do that?).

From a developers point of view, it may be the perfect tool. For everyday people/end users, its usability is rather limited.
Yes, it is good for developers.. and for end user as well. I do pretty much everything that i also do on my computer. I even use programs runned from my computer on it sometimes (with x2x).

Such a promising device but not warmly supported from the manufacturer.
Yes, and still is. I think why some ppl not like it is because of interest. If you don't know what programs you need and are to lazy to find out then you do not use it's full potential.

Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
It can do mms (even though it's not very useful for me.. just expensive). You can use one hand (now with PR1.2). 3g video calls (i am not sure as i don't use it.. too expensive)

You could do more than just xls. Just install Easy Debian and you will have a full office suite, a photoshop "clone" called Gimp and what ever els you need on a full desktop.

Yes, it is good for developers.. and for end user as well. I do pretty much everything that i also do on my computer. I even use programs runned from my computer on it sometimes (with x2x).

Yes, and still is. I think why some ppl not like it is because of interest. If you don't know what programs you need and are to lazy to find out then you do not use it's full potential.
You re missing the point.
Its not a matter of lazyness.
Its a matter of time.
I dont have the time to search and try and blah blah blah.
I need just to go to the nokia store, buy the application, install it, and work with it.

So next time, either speak for yourself, or try not to speculate about others behaviour.

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
It's really an issue about bad management of expectations. People buy it assuming "iPhone like" and don't get what they expect. It's partly Nokia's fault and also the fault of distributors and retailers.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

I... have an office suite?

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norwich, UK
Originally Posted by madnes View Post
So next time, either speak for yourself, or try not to speculate about others behaviour.
How about you apply that to yourself as well? You blanket label the device as a poor tablet simply because *you* cant get it to do what *you* want how *you* want it done, and on that basis decide it's not much good as a tablet and not cared about by nokia?

Pot + Kettle = ???

Originally Posted by nidO View Post
How about you apply that to yourself as well? You blanket label the device as a poor tablet simply because *you* cant get it to do what *you* want how *you* want it done, and on that basis decide it's not much good as a tablet and not cared about by nokia?

Pot + Kettle = ???
Maybe next time, try to read carefully first, then post an answer.
I said "mediocre as a tablet", not poor.
If you want just an office suite, which as i said, is a common thing to have nowadays, even in mid-range smartphones, you must go through a certain procedure, which for you maybe easy, but for a average end user may proved annoying and hard to implement.

Instead of critizing people that just want a fully functional device, you "geek" and "smart" guys, try to be more helpfull to those that are not like you.

By the way, i dont want a device that works just for me. But a device that can do it efficiently without digging in endless posts and forums.

And yes, the device is not supported well from the maker. If the solution for obtaining an office suite, is to search around and configure a 2.5G "easy debian" image, is what nokia offers, then we have very different expectations from a vendor.

I m getting used with the limited functionality of this device. Get used with the critisism on that also. Its not that hard.

Last edited by madnes; 2010-04-01 at 10:30.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madnes For This Useful Post:
Well I don't think the N900 is to blame here. As a piece of hardware it is incredible. However comimg from a blackberry and hoping to use the N900 as a business tool Maemo has left me a little frustrated.

Why can't I...

Search and filter emails.
Spell check importaint messeges that may be going to clients.
Sync Exchange email while on a wireless network.
Write a document on the train.
Click a button or link without having to attempt it 5 times before something happens.
Leave my phone unplugged for a whole day.
Shoot video without dropped frames.
Get through a week without having to reboot.
Put up with dead pixles on the screen.

These are not small problems that I would like fixed. These problems that have to be fixed before this phone can stand up in the current market. Easy Deb is not the answer. Totaly unsuited for a mobile screen.

And has anyone noticed that the number new apps showing up has massivly declined recently... Must be the Meego factor already...

I totaly agree that Nokia has under delivered. I mean I can't even buy apps from Ovi, 6 months after getting it! This may be a great environment for a developer but I am not paying £45 a month to be Nokia's lab rat. If Apple treated it's customers like this it would make headlines.

Last edited by ugot1newmail; 2010-04-01 at 19:30.

Closed Thread

Tags
full of sboj evets, on a troll ting, trolling is easy, trolling is fun, trolling is my bag baby, very worst thread ever, worst thread ever, would you like to shag