Active Topics

Hello:

Yesterday, I struggled, but final was able to install the new OS Version
V3.207.10-7.

This morning I read on a blog, "After installing the updater and FLASHING THE ROM................"

My question is there another step to the downloading process after one installs the new OS Version? What does it mean FLASHING THE ROM?

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Installing the upgrade flashes the ROM... No comma between the two.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
The "updater" is the Nokia application you first install on your Windows PC - it's the Wizard that guides you through the upgrade process.

"Flashing the ROM" is the process performed by the Nokia application now running on your Windows PC - this application transfers a firmware image (downloaded automatically from the internet or using a local file) over USB to the N800 where it is permanently stored in the devices Flash memory.

When the N800 is rebooted it will be running the new firmware you just transferred to it.

Thank you very much for your replies. Appears that I did upgrade my Nokia n800 properly. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
The "updater" is the Nokia application you first install on your Windows PC - it's the Wizard that guides you through the upgrade process.

"Flashing the ROM" is the process performed by the Nokia application now running on your Windows PC - this application transfers a firmware image (downloaded automatically from the internet or using a local file) over USB to the N800 where it is permanently stored in the devices Flash memory.

When the N800 is rebooted it will be running the new firmware you just transferred to it.
I can't for the life of me figger out why you can't flash the ROM Over the Air (OTA). The wizard makes you download the new image in any case, why not just download it to SD and flash from there.

I have a PC and can run the wizard on that, but I can invision a situation where I'm away from home, and brick Marvin, and need to reflash.

Originally Posted by wodin View Post
I can't for the life of me figger out why you can't flash the ROM Over the Air (OTA). The wizard makes you download the new image in any case, why not just download it to SD and flash from there.
Totally agree with you - and it's been been raised as enhancement request #651. Its omission from the future roadmap suggests there is little chance of it being implemented.

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Totally agree with you - and it's been been raised as enhancement request #651. Its omission from the future roadmap suggests there is little chance of it being implemented.
It's just not very practical. You have to do some kind of trickery to end up running off the SD card otherwise you crash the system the instant you start flashing. There's also the issue of pulling down a 65MB image when you're on the go. If someone was highly motivated I suppose it could be done but I'm betting it won't be Nokia that does it. --There have been quite a few achievements that have been made possible without their aid.

Larry

I can see there might be challenges, but I think it's a valid request given that most new Nokia Symbian-based phones now offer Firmware Over the Air (FOTA) and even a consumer games machines (PSP, Wii) support FOTA.

Perhaps a special boot mode might be possible, which loads a minimal system? Who knows.

Anyway the point is, if it's Nokias intention for the N800 successor to be more mainstream, more consumer friendly, then Nokia need to break this final dependence on the PC. Tricky, yes. Impossible, no. Needed today, not really. Eventually, certainly.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
I like the idea of reflashing from SD, but I not sure about FOTA. If I recall correctly, Nokia (as well as other manufacturers) had some issues last year that resulted in some bricked phones.

FOTA or SD doesn't make a great deal of difference - the fundamental requirement is to have the device able to flash itself. Flashing from SD would be useful when wifi isn't available/reliable, and to avoid downloading the same firmware multiple times. FOTA is simply another source for the image - download the image into RAM, and then flash the device using the image stored in RAM.

Avoiding a brick is tricky - but that can happen today if somene yanks the USB cable in the middle of a flash, which is no different to someone switching off a FOTA/SD update mid flash. It would be insane to design the FOTA update such that it began flashing the device during the download, which could of course fail due to network problems - the entire image must be downloaded to RAM and checked for integrity before being flashed into the device.