Posts: 635 | Thanked: 1,535 times | Joined on Feb 2014 @ Germany
Just follow the steps in the first post of this thread, but instead if the sailfish image linked there, you could try this one:

http://images.devaamo.fi/sfe/hammerh...1610241556.zip

This is SFOS 2.0.4.13 and the one linked at the front page must be 2.0.1.11...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mautz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 127 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Switzerland
Originally Posted by mautz View Post
Just follow the steps in the first post of this thread, but instead if the sailfish image linked there, you could try this one:

http://images.devaamo.fi/sfe/hammerh...1610241556.zip

This is SFOS 2.0.4.13 and the one linked at the front page must be 2.0.1.11...
Haha, that is the part I got mixed up. Thank you for this information. I think I did not mention that some packages from the store don't install on my phone, like Gpodder and the Sailfish Utilities. But I will try that again as soon as I flash with the new 2.0.4.13 system with the information from the first thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to maximilian1st For This Useful Post:
So, umm.. Could someone do a little explanation on what is the current level of usability should I buy a Nexus 5 and install the port and Sfdroid, since a majority of posts here simply go over my head.

If the level of usability is good enough, I might give it a try. I'm not reliant on Android apps, though I do use a few actively but they don't require camera, bluetooth, audio etc, which I realize don't currently work.

I am capable of doing just about anything following clear advice but my techical knowhow of Linux etc is very limited.

Last edited by parasemic; 2016-11-25 at 15:03.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to parasemic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 1,105 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Europe
Originally Posted by parasemic View Post
So, umm.. Could someone do a little explanation on what is the current level of usability should I buy a Nexus 5 and install the port and Sfdroid, since a majority of posts here simply go over my head.

If the level of usability is good enough, I might give it a try. I'm not reliant on Android apps, though I do use a few actively but they don't require camera, bluetooth, audio etc, which I realize don't currently work.

I am capable of doing just about anything following clear advice but my techical knowhow of Linux etc is very limited.
I am using Nexus 5 running Sailfishos on a daily basis since the beginning, i.e. more than 1 1/2 years now. There is no big risk installing multirom plus Sailfishos. If you don't like it you can stick with Android.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BluesLee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 707 times | Joined on May 2015 @ Italy
Originally Posted by BluesLee View Post
I am using Nexus 5 running Sailfishos on a daily basis since the beginning, i.e. more than 1 1/2 years now. There is no big risk installing multirom plus Sailfishos. If you don't like it you can stick with Android.
I've currently installed sailfishos-hammerhead-release-1.1.9.28-beta0-201510022255 with cm11,
what should i do to install the version linked above? Do i have to download CM12?

The Following User Says Thank You to claustn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by BluesLee View Post
I mean, what functions are lacking compared to Jolla1, how much configuring does it require, how often do you run into random issues, is sfdroid in actual day-to-day usability level or just functioning on a theoretical level, etc?

The Following User Says Thank You to parasemic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
I mean, what functions are lacking compared to Jolla1, how much configuring does it require, how often do you run into random issues, is sfdroid in actual day-to-day usability level or just functioning on a theoretical level, etc?
I'm not missing any functions on my N5 running 2.0.4.14. Everything is there, including MMS on T-Mobile US, GPS, T9 text prediction, and a myriad apps to cover general usage.

Out of box it works fine, minus the battery drain. That's what we're aiming to clear up with the mautz kernel and other tweaks and settings. We've all made some changes in one way or another to fix bugs or improve upon the experience, all in this thread.

The whole experience can be described as "beta". You may encounter a few bugs or glitches here and there. For example, sometimes lipstick (the UI and touch interface) stops responding for me after I hang up from a phone call. We've gotten around this by adding a keystroke to powermenu to restart lipstick with the power button, should it glitch.

Aside from that bug, I've yet to see any issues that prevented me from using the device as a daily driver. That said, your mileage may vary. While I feel it's in a usable state for most people, it isn't for the faint of heart.

I don't run sfdroid, as I actively avoid Google et al wherever possible, so I wouldn't be able to comment on that. I haven't NEEDED it for anything, though, so I can't say I miss it.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:
Posts: 635 | Thanked: 1,535 times | Joined on Feb 2014 @ Germany
For the lipstick crash/frozen phone, try a three finger touch, this normaly gets the UI working again.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mautz For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
1.) Functions lacking;
  • @dpurgin's Call Recorder does not work (due to pulseaudio problems)
  • Phonecalls via Bluetooth headset have very bad audio quality, cannot hear anything. (but music quality via Bluetooth is very good)
  • GPS takes maybe about 1 minute to lock (due to AGPS problems I think)
  • wake-up with doubletap does not work (but there is a workaround, and possible solution too but I have not tested that)

2.) Very little configuration and tweaking required, it's pretty much like SFOS on Jolla sbj-1

3.) Some random issues possible, for example the screen-locs-after-received-phonecall-ends, but there is a solution how to get out of the lock.

4.) How well sfdroid works; I have absolutely no idea, I don't use any Android applications and hopefully never will!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 300 | Thanked: 962 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ USA
Regarding the GPS issue above:

I've fixed the GPS issues on my end. I'm using an old baseband and I made some edits to /system/etc/gps.conf:

NTP_SERVER=north-america.pool.ntp.org <- (you can use your region, the default in this adaptation was on izatcloud.net, which never worked for me)

SUPL_HOST=supl.google.com <- (may be default, but I think I edited this one under the AGPS settings)

Baseband version is KTU84M M8974A-2.0.50.1.13 from the Android 4.4.3 factory image. You can find this radio image here: http://downloads.codefi.re/autoprime...U84M_RADIO.img

Flash with fastboot: fastboot flash radio NEXUS5_KTU84M_RADIO.img

I tried MANY things, tweaks, changes, baseband versions, etc., and this is the only thing that gets my GPS to lock quickly, accurately and consistently.

Edit: Also, there is a known "hardware issue" with the Nexus 5 GPS antenna. The contacts often wear and lose their "spring" resulting loss of connection randomly or persistently. Most of the guides for fixing this issue called for placing a piece of card stock under the contact ribbon cable with some glue or tape, to increase the height and ensure a proper connection. I tried that "fix", but it didn't last. What i wound up doing - and would do again to any Nexus 5 I got my hands on - is adding a couple of tiny balls of solder to the pads on the back of the cover. If you need more info, I'll be glad to help.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deprecated For This Useful Post:

Tags
hammerhead, nexus5, sailfishos, sfdroid