Notices

In about half of the games I play, I find that the "Mines Remaining" count in the top right hand corner has dropped to 0, but there are still places in the field where I need to mark some mines! So the game is unfinishable.

When this happens, I've scanned the whole field for any unnecessary flags, and I'm 99% sure that there aren't any mistakes there.

Does anyone else see this?

Regards - Neil

Never happened to me!
And I've played a lot...
Go over the game again, very carefully, perhaps it is just an error on your part?

I think the problem may arise when I set a flag somewhere where there isn't actually a mine. If I do this, I assume I can clear the flag by switching to "Open Field" and clicking again on the same square. This correctly opens the field, but the "Remaining Mines" count does not go back up again.

So if one never makes a mistake, there's no problem. But as soon as one has incorrectly put a flag somewhere, there's no way of undoing it and then finishing the game.

If anyone else would like to confirm or deny this theory, please just try marking a square where there obviously isn't a mine, and then opening that square - and see what happens to the Remaining Mines count.

Regards - Neil

Posts: 51 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Midlands, UK
Originally Posted by neiljerram
If anyone else would like to confirm or deny this theory, please just try marking a square where there obviously isn't a mine, and then opening that square - and see what happens to the Remaining Mines count.
I think you're using the "wrong" technique here.

To get rid of a flag, use the "Set Flag" mode. It cycles between "Flag", "Question mark" and "Blank".

Regards,
Jonathan

Originally Posted by jaycee
I think you're using the "wrong" technique here.

To get rid of a flag, use the "Set Flag" mode. It cycles between "Flag", "Question mark" and "Blank".

Regards,
Jonathan
Yes, that works - thanks. I can finish sweeping mines even when I make a mistake now! (I guess it would be nice if the open field technique incremented Remaining Mines as well, though.)

Regards - Neil

Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Never played it, but mayhaps "open field" just hides the flag? Having all those flags and question marks cluttering the field screws with the thought process sometime.

Just tried it out, hadn't noticed this behaviour.
Open field on a flagged square lets you see what's underneath it without actually opening it.
This way you can confirm that you have in fact flagged the right squares. Unfortunately - you can not undo this "confirm", so it stays that way... weird...
But that's why the mine count doesn't go down! you need to unflag it before opening!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Never encountered it before and I had been playing a lot. It might be just a careless error on your part.

Originally Posted by imike
Never encountered it before and I had been playing a lot. It might be just a careless error on your part.

But thanks for your interest anyway! - Neil