Active Topics

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by bemymonkey View Post
Do you have any more info about that? What type of EQ? Only applicable to certain audio formats, or all?
I can not find the EQ spec, but here is the specs:
http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtb...emplateId=6123

Other devices that use the chipset (Pandora included) have EQ's.

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
The EQ issue is kind of lame (really lame if no fix). My Dash is growing old in the tooth, but allows EQ support though Coreplayer and actually sounds very good (in spite of the USB audio adapter) and also allows pre-amp function. Surely the new chipset allows better support than my Tmo Dash.

Can media apps support an EQ, or is that part of the hardware not developed to support EQ?

I use 13ohm UE's so have a good point for audio quality reference- the Dash really does sound better than expected for audio. Ironically, it sounds WAY better than my Archos 5, which is not hard to do. A5 is great for video but sucky for audio quality.
I agree it is lame that there is not even a simple EQ, I have already done a post on this , but then seem to be the only who cared.
the XXXXX media device can surely support a EQ.

While I understand the idea and importance of EQ, I don't think most people use them o.O. I never had the time to figure out the optimal settings on them even when I had dedicated mp3 devices with them and just gave up on bothering with it. But as long as it's not to hard to implement (e.g. it doesn't require additional hardware) I don't see why an expensive device like the n900 shouldn't have it.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 642 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ California USA
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
While I understand the idea and importance of EQ, I don't think most people use them o.O. I never had the time to figure out the optimal settings on them even when I had dedicated mp3 devices with them and just gave up on bothering with it. But as long as it's not to hard to implement (e.g. it doesn't require additional hardware) I don't see why an expensive device like the n900 shouldn't have it.
Each device has different speaker characteristics. So with EQ you can fine tune your device to sound its best. My N800 could use a “bass boost”.

The Following User Says Thank You to Den in USA For This Useful Post:
Hmmm, I mostly use the EQ for getting crappy headphones to sound good when I don't have my in-ears with me

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bemymonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 716 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sheffield, UK
I would argue the opposite. Everyone I know uses an EQ, at the very least Bass Boost. But it does depend on the initial playback quality of the device, many are flat so need a Bass Boost, some however (like my Linux box) output pretty good sound to headphones straight from ALSA with no EQ at all.

So until I have an N900 in my hands I will not know if it needs one or not. I know both my HTC Wizard sounded like crap even WITH an EQ and even my Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 while generally sounding pretty good, I could never get the balance quite right. Neither can I with the iPod WITH EQ, I had to settle for transcoding from FLAC, dropping the track 3dB or so and adding EQ, before encoding into ALAC. Its a hassle but as you have to recode into ALAC anyway its not so bad.

Speaking of encoding, is there any way to decode a FLAC, add EQ then encode it back into FLAC, from the command line? That would be a quick fix for me as I have a web page to transcode my music to WAV, MP3, AAC. Its handy as I can access my entire library anywhere and just download any tracks I want to add.

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Istanbul, Turkey
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
The average user of an integrated device like this isn't going to be expecting - or ever even using - an EQ to begin with.
You're ignoring the fact that average user profile of this platform will change as N900 reaches more users.

I like to benefit technological convergence where ever possible, that's why I don't own any PMP / camera / MID, but instead I just own a Nokia N82 to cater my mobile & digital needs as much as possible.

I'd surely expect to be able to do the same, or even more; since I'll have *better* HW+SW than N82 in my hand.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gecebekcisi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
A true all in one has at least a basic EQ function. If the sound quality is weak out of the box (with good ear buds), that would make an EQ omission very poor of Nokia.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Dedicated hardware which specializes in one or very few purposes usually tries to do well in those specific purposes whereas a general purpose or convergence device aims for many features.

During recording audio should be normalized so there is not a big difference when playing several tracks on same hardware. If audio engineers who mastered the work didn't do that, someone else has to do that, but usually its done already. If not, one gotta do that themselves e.g. when ripping. Much more efficient than having to do it whole time in stage after decoding before listening.

EQ for different output devices is a different story though.

Anyway, how about developing consensus on the features missed most deeply, then making a Brainstorm entry about each of these features on how to solve these missing features?

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
A true all in one has at least a basic EQ function.
Yeah, and at least a swiss army knife. No true Scotsman.

Tags
feature request, pre brainstorm