Cool....now I too have fallen the NOKIA SUPPORT BLACK HOLE. Yep, had the unit for a few days when the dreaded WSOD struck. I called NOKIA "Support" and was chistised for buying the unit at BUY.COM. The rep kinda blamed BUY.COM for selling me a broken unit. What? Yep....I should have recorded the conversation....unbelieveable!! Anyway, the "L2" "Support" rep told me that they (NOKIA) was never heard of the screen controller issue. My, my...I guess I should count myself lucky for having reached someone of her stature in the company. WOW....to be able to speak for the entire company...now that's really something!!! Er...or not. Anyway, the 3 days that it did work it looked promising, but I'm glad I only wasted the $139.00 I paid or should I say 'rented' the device. Oh well, from the other posts regarding the WSOD it looks like it will be a reoccuring problem. Sigh! Wise up NOKIA management....selling bricks is often a bad business move. Hugs & Kisses NOKIA...I'm going back to my HP!!! Btw, HP offers advance replacements for their defective products. (I guess they don't have cash flow issues)

So they're not doing anything about it? Isn't there some sort of warranty on these devices?

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Austin, TX
So they're not doing anything about it? Isn't there some sort of warranty on these devices?
http://www.nokiausa.com/A4410055

One year for US purchasers only. Others are probably covered under a different warranty.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
bobm: Most likely you paid your purchase with credit card. Some cards have accidential damage/loss insurance, thus you may be able to file a claim with the CC company and get your money back...

BUY.COM stepped up to the plate and is sending a new replacement unit AND a pre-paid UPS shipping label to put on the return box. Now that's first class customer service!!! I'd like to point out that BUY.COM's NOKIA 770 site clearly states that ALL RETURNS must be handled thru the manufacturer. Something I clearly understood and that's why I tee'd it up with NOKIA first. Since NOKIA couldn't get their collective act together I tried BUY.COM and they didn't blink an eye to make the sell right. Anyway, I look forward to receiving the replacement unit and will report back here if the WSOD strikes again. I'm really hoping not, b/c I truly want to play with this tiny box. However, I can say that it's going to be a tough user adoption road if other folks get yanked around like I was. Wake-up Nokia or another industry player will have you for breakfast.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Be aware that the "white screen of death" is due to a design fault... if it happens again persist with Nokia and don't accept "no" for an answer, they are 100% responsible.

Good job that Buy.com stepped in though, saves you a lot of hassle as Nokia will only repair your unit.

I wish I could say the same. I called buy.com and they told me that they have to email the return dept to get permission. They told me it will take 3-4 days to find out their answer. Is this what you had to do?

Originally Posted by jrock2004 View Post
I wish I could say the same. I called buy.com and they told me that they have to email the return dept to get permission. They told me it will take 3-4 days to find out their answer. Is this what you had to do?
I also called Buy.com, and they issued a return label and RMA# while I was on the phone. My WSoD 770 was sent yesterday, and scheduled for delivery to them today. I guess they could always deny the return once they receive the item, so I've got my fingers crossed.

Wish me luck!

Ouch, seems that the mid-batch of production runs for 770's had problems with WSOD. Early and very late models didn't have that problem or at least don't appear too. I'm guessing buy.com is blowing out old stock that appears to be mid-production stock since quite a few people have had WSOD from there with the recent price drop.

yep I emailed BBB cause they wont swap mine they want me to send to nokia. I did but I am extremely dissatified with buy.com nor will I ever use them again