Closed Thread
Well, that didn't go so good. Here's my report. I ran the update and it locked my N800 so hard I had to take the battery out of it to get it to restart. Then it went into a reboot loop. So, I had to flash the device. Very nice. I'm not going to read 47 pages of this thread, but I'm guessing people aren't sitting around holding hands and singing cumbaya on this one.

It's up and running again now though, so I guess all's well that end's well. Sorta.

Posts: 301 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Santiago, Chile
same here, got into a reboot loop. Heck, at least I was expecting it. If it had work, it would have been great, but hey, I knew what I was getting into.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I have one rule when installing SSUs: I always start an xterm after that and run an "apt-get -f install" just to be sure. If app manager can't simulate the install, at least it can check if everything went ok before we restart...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
It's been almost a week since the Seamless SU v4.2008.36-5 was unleashed and although there has been no word from its developers at Nokia, perhaps the unofficial Maemo gurus could help by compiling a Howto list of ways of minimizing possible pain when something goes wrong and posting the guide to the ITT front page (constantly updated when new valid information surfaces)?

Simply expecting the visitors to wade through 500 messages containing the odd tidbit of wisdom (and how do they know which advice is correct?) is a lot to ask IMO.

Also, it would appear that some of the update failures are caused by the latest SSU's install script so couldn't the script be made more error-proof and reissued?

The Following User Says Thank You to Peet For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Peet View Post
It's been almost a week since the Seamless SU v4.2008.36-5 was unleashed and although there has been no word from its developers at Nokia
There's been plenty of word, you just can't expect every one of them to waste their time replying here. Watch the right places.

Personally, I'm investing my time this direction.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
It's good that there is debate going on among the developers, but ideally some of the fruits of that debate would trickle to the userspace.

Of course one problem is that the furball that is SSU is inviting the Diablo user to simply install it (it now being seamless and all) before hitting the forums...

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
It fails if there is no files in "/usr/share/pre-installed/MyDocs/.documents/". Create that directory and touch or put a file there if you have that deleted.
I've not updated my n800 yet (I'm waiting for a replacement lcd), but I'm checking these prerequisites and I don't have that directory.
I don't remember deleting it (I just deleted the promotional video and the user guides in the languages I don't need, but even those in the user directory).
Could it be that it was removed in the postinstall script of pre-installed-documentation-rx34?

Maybe I haven't seen the response to the constant reboot, yet... anyway, did the reboot, the internal memory had enough space (to my knowledge,at least), tried to re-flash using the 770flasher (yes I'm on a mac) but the flasher just says, Suitable USB device not found, waiting.... , now I have a nokia brick... lovely.

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by urzatio View Post
Maybe I haven't seen the response to the constant reboot, yet... anyway, did the reboot, the internal memory had enough space (to my knowledge,at least), tried to re-flash using the 770flasher (yes I'm on a mac) but the flasher just says, Suitable USB device not found, waiting.... , now I have a nokia brick... lovely.
First try using a PC, use a liveCD if it doesn't have linux installed and it's not yours. You may carry flasher-3 on a usb memory

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
First try using a PC, use a liveCD if it doesn't have linux installed and it's not yours. You may carry flasher-3 on a usb memory
Why? The OS X flashers work fine.

The logical first step is to make sure you're following the flashing procedure correctly, then to rule out the hardware (make sure the USB cable is OK, try a different USB cable, make sure you're not connecting through a hub, etc.).

Closed Thread

Tags
diablo, os2008, ssu, upgrade