Notices

Looks like the ogg-support from chinook adds the ogg support for GStreamer but the Metalayer Crawler doesn't find oggs anymore.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Conspiracy!

Posts: 1,412 | Thanked: 594 times | Joined on Aug 2005 @ Recife, Brazil
Kulve: the problem is that it adds from Chinook, and Canola-ogg support for Diablo is built following the diablo rules, on the server. So we cannot do hacks on this. Once Ogg support is ON DIABLO repositories, our ogg support in the scanner will be able to compiled as well. today it will give "no dependencies" :/

BR
Marcelo
OpenBossa Labs @ INdT, Recife Brazil
http://openbossa.indt.org

Originally Posted by handful View Post
Once Ogg support is ON DIABLO repositories, our ogg support in the scanner will be able to compiled as well. today it will give "no dependencies" :/
Do you mean that the ogg-support must be buildable on the new style servers from sources as well? That might be hard since I'm using existing packages which I have modified (gst-plugins-*). And those probably cannot be rebuilt there as there is already source packages named like that?

The other problem is that the metalayercrawler seems to unable to find oggs in diablo anymore with my hacks. So we need to find new tricks for diablo.

Unm, Yes Kulve, it seems we need this (pointed by etrunko) but I must say he's the guy who knows that so things could be changed.

About the metalayercrawler, that is really sad :/ I will put Etrunko in the loop to see what we can do to solve this in our side then

Thanks anyhow for the info it will be of great help!

Marcelo

Originally Posted by kulve View Post
Do you mean that the ogg-support must be buildable on the new style servers from sources as well? That might be hard since I'm using existing packages which I have modified (gst-plugins-*). And those probably cannot be rebuilt there as there is already source packages named like that?
The ideal solution would be for Nokia to actually ship the Vorbis decoding plugin from upstream. Or let kulve help them out with gstreamer?

I wonder if a strategy similar to how the Livna repository (3rd party non-free for Fedora) packages xine's non-free plugins might work: build the entire modified gstreamer framework (with a single .dsc), and then just exclude or remove the files already packaged by Nokia.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Is there any reason why the scanner requires Ogg gstreamer playback support for just reading the tags? I think this is the real "bug" here, and is certainly a show-stopper for Canola on Diablo.

Ogg playback is still possible via mplayer. The only piece missing in the Canola-Diablo-Ogg puzzle is the scanner.
Don't you think so?

Oycage : yes, it is, but as you read Tuomas answers, the code is not on diablos build server. We can just make a deb and install, but we thought that the support was going into extras, so to enter extras you need to user THEIR build system, and our ogg support depends on Tuomas support.

So now that we know that it's not going to be there, we will do the ugly way and make a deb and place on the website for download.

To read the tags (I will ask etrunko to back me up here) it really needs the lib, but I think you deserve a better answer

Marcelo

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Yeah, I know that it needs the lib, but I don't really see a reason why.

A little C code for parsing the Ogg tags is no big thing, and Ogg tags are not such a mess like ID3.
There's plenty of free C code for Ogg tag parsing around, I think.
This could help Canola with Ogg on Diablo since getting ogg-support on Diablo is such a problem.
It would also make the LMS smaller in size and more performant on Oggs.

Just my 2 ¢.

AFAIK, there is no problem in rebuilding a package which is already in the repositories. At least, this is not a problem for extras/extras-devel repositories, don't know if this applies to the official nokia packages. It's a good test case.

The other problem is that the metalayercrawler seems to unable to find oggs in diablo anymore with my hacks. So we need to find new tricks for diablo.
As canola does not use the metalayer crawler, this problem does not affect us at all. But to provide the support "natively" in the built-in media player, it is a must.