Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by stevecrye View Post
I still just want my n810 to also be a phone!

Waaahh! Whine!

I *know* that the newest software-configurable hardware DSP chipsets can do 802.11a/b/g/n and also do the cell phone stuff. Apple and Samsung have these in the iPhone and the Instinct.

Please Please Nokia - make the N9xx a phone! My pants are falling off from all the holstered stuff! I weary of having to bluetooth pair with my n810 when I can't find WiFi.

Gnash complain rant!

$teve
Only if it's a software phone with a GNU radio--so it's not tethered to a specific radio range of frequencies and tied to a particular phone technology. If they HAVE to make it phone, at least make it a MODULAR phone where you can buy, say a 3G, module to make it work with that. Sell it without any phone tech--then plug in like a small PCIexpress slot 'card' for 3G, EVDO, or EDGE or whatever it is your phone carrier wants to keep you trapped into.

I personally would rather bluetooth my N900 up to a phone which I can easily replace as I upgrade to new technologies or when I move carrier.

But anyway.. there's a whole other thread for this conversation.. and it's been played out pretty well. (Check for the 'What do you realistically want in an N900" thread.)

As for pockets.. ALL of mu jeans, khakis and pants all have cargo pockets on the sides and I keep my N800 in my left cargo pocket (and a Nintendo DS in my right cargo pocket).

danramos, Im sorrry but I couldnt disagree with you more.

If the N900 has GSM phone tech build in than hands down it will rule the world. With its powerful OS and browser nothing would beat it.

If it has 5-7MB camera and 640X480 video, then it will rule the universe.

Sorry, there is just such a small market for an internet tablet thus the N8XX is small compared to a device that literally has everything the N8XX has plus, phone and camera tech.

I'de be so excited at such a device I'de buy one for my bathroom, bedroom, work, car, and every other place I go.

Nokia, if youre listening, I'de just go crazy and buy 10 just for fun. I would sleep with all of them at night and build a doll house for them and just play around with them. Ide take them to the beach.

Therefore Nokia,

N9XX + phone tech + camera/video = Global/Universal Domination.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anthonybuchanan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
I will not buy a NIT with a GSM phone.

If I'm going to be chained to a carrier and paying a monthly fee I'm going to buy an iPhone.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan View Post
N9XX + phone tech + camera/video = Global/Universal Domination.
You forgot one very important element of the function: software!
The hardware is NOTHING without software.

And this is where Maemo still lacks. In my limited view, one aspect of this is the high barrier of entry to software development on the device.
(Nokia: take a look at MS Visual Studio and the Compact Framework...)

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
Now if you could, with a single sub 2 seconds action, switch the E71 on and off as a bluetooth HID keyboard for the N800 ... then you had this other kind of convergence.

Originally Posted by icebox View Post
he he,

thought the same when I bought my E61 2 years ago, than I bought the n800 an saw the LIGHT

I worried about my tablet when I upgraded to the e71. Surprisingly I still browse the web on the tablet...

bye

brontide, are you saying the iphone OS is better then the N8XX OS ? If so then I disagree here also.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
Originally Posted by anthonybuchanan View Post
brontide, are you saying the iphone OS is better then the N8XX OS ? If so then I disagree here also.
Everything is relative. The utility of the N810 for me is that it's a 0 fee device therefore almost anything I can do on it is a bonus.

If the n9xx becomes a fee based device ( GSM ) then it's utility diminishes significantly for me. Like I said at that point I might as well buy the iPhone and get *gasp* support for my phone. Since, for me, the utility of a phone is in making and receiving calls without thinking about the unit. Based on the QA of the nXXX series I have low expectations for a phone based n9xx.

twaelti, iphone has sooo many apps that I would guess are just junk.

I'de be very happy to buy 20 N9XX devices that had phone and camera tech with the existing N8XX software as it is now.

I would have any regrets.

Youre saying you would get an iphone and pay for the service but with the phone capable N9XX you would not pay for the service.

At least it sound like thats what you would do.

The iphone with phone tech and service does not compare to a N9XX device with phone tech and service.

Tags
troll