Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
EDIT: In Application manager -> Settings, 'Use MMC to download packages' would download the .deb's in /media/mmc2, right?
Application manager caches to mmc2 by default, there's no need to interfere with it to make it do this.

apt-get does not do this caching, so you're much more likely to run out of space upgrading with apt-get.

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Argh.. and argh again.. being able to do this kind of setting should be blue pill mode.. IMHO. Oh well. Thanks for clarifying though!
What Red Pill offers you is a way to disable this feature, not enable it. It is enabled BY DEFAULT. . . .

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-08-12 at 17:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by combatdoc View Post
Ok, i installed the Operating System Update that showed up when I went into red pill mode. I assume that was the latest upgrade, it rebooted the system and all that stuff, but when I went to about it still shows 23-14 as the build.

Anything wrong here?
How many times do I have to say this, DO NOT INSTALL THE "Operating System" UPDATE AND DO NOT LEAVE THE DEVICE IN "Red Pill" MODE.

Anybody who leaves the device in Red Pill and does random **** because they think they know what they're doing will get exactly what they deserve (and depending on the repositories you have installed, this is frequently a reboot-loop with the misnamed and frequently misused "Operating System" package).

Please do not leave your devices in Red Pill mode unless you either A. Understand what the hell you're doing or B. Have a damn good reason to do so.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tso View Post
well when i said broken i was thinking more of no wifi, and reboot loop...
Whats the solution for having a successful update (no system update listed in App Manager), but the tablet version is still 23-14?

I tried rebooting it manually, but no luck.

I have no idea what state it is in now. I haven't even bothered to get root on it, so I can't even do an apt-get.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by beatniks3 View Post
i'm having troubles with getting the boot menu to work after this update. i went through all the steps i thought i needed to from this guide:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=22771

and it seemed to work but when i try to boot from anything other than flash in the boot menu it says boot failed and resorts to booting from flash.

my setup is: diablo in flash and chinook on ext SD. i would very much like to get back into my chinook install.

any suggestions?

thanks
What is the 'look' of your bootmenu? Do they have brackets surrounding your other choices? Maybe it is NOT the bootmenu.
More details.

bun

Originally Posted by whouweling View Post
Update went OK for me while booted from MMC. Also the Fanoush-Super-Multi-Boot-Menu (tm) survived without a problem?
Same thing here. I upgraded while booted from MMC. It did not automaticily reboot - I did do a manual reboot. Control panel now shows the new level. How do I figure out if I am running off the old rootfs/initfs?

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Application manager caches to mmc2 by default, there's no need to interfere with it to make it do this.
hmm, im not sure about that, given that apt-get clean seems to clean up space on my internal storage even when i have only used the app manager...

but i guess i should go a remove my enhancement request then

Originally Posted by jodyfanning View Post
Whats the solution for having a successful update (no system update listed in App Manager), but the tablet version is still 23-14?

I tried rebooting it manually, but no luck.

I have no idea what state it is in now. I haven't even bothered to get root on it, so I can't even do an apt-get.
i think that it means you were not successful (i am in the same boat) except i have done the apt-get install osso-software-version-rx44-unlocked route and still no update.....

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
What is the 'look' of your bootmenu? Do they have brackets surrounding your other choices? Maybe it is NOT the bootmenu.
More details.

bun
hi thanks for the response

it looks like this:

internal flash
(internal MMC card, partition 2, ext2)N/A
(internal MMC card, partition 3. ext2)N/A
external MMC card, partition2, etx3
power off (when no on charger)

on the previous bootmenu it didn't show the two N/A internal partitions.

thanks please let me know if there is anything else to post to help figure this out.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by beatniks3 View Post
hi thanks for the response

it looks like this:

internal flash
(internal MMC card, partition 2, ext2)N/A
(internal MMC card, partition 3. ext2)N/A
external MMC card, partition2, etx3
power off (when no on charger)

on the previous bootmenu it didn't show the two N/A internal partitions.

thanks please let me know if there is anything else to post to help figure this out.

It is NOT the bootmenu problem. Your choices 2 and 3 are hosted. your internal card/clone is NOT working. Your options:

1) take out your internal card, and stare at it for 10 seconds and put it back. Sometimes that would work.

2) take out your internal card, and redo the cloning process if your card is still readable by anything. Chances are, they are dead .

What card are you using and when was the last time you access the card and what did you do to the card just before the update?

bun

The update worked perfect for me, twice. I ran it while booted from mmc2, rebooted to flash because the boot menu was gone, ran the update in flash, reflashed the boot menu (thanks fanoush), and booted to the cloned OS on mmc2. Two successful updates with no problems at all.

I did have the rtcom-beta-os2008 installation problem, but fixed that by adding the Callabora diablo catalogue (thanks qwerty12).
PC #1 - HP dv2000 Laptop - Ubuntu 9.10
PC #2 - Ubuntu 9.10
PC #3 - Ubuntu 8.04/Windoze XP dual boot
Nokia N800 internet tablet - OS2008 Diablo dual boot to SD - 4gb internal + 2gb external SD cards

Tags
browser, email, microb, modest, os2008, ssu, stability, update