Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Maybe add a poll? But for that to work all users that have upgraded should respond, not just only the ones that did run into trouble.

And to add my experience I did not have any problems with this SSU update. In fact I have done several SSU updates already since the Diablo betas were around, and never had a problem. The people who did run into trouble just make themselves heard very well, and people who didn't likely just not bother to reply in this thread.
I suppose we (that's us, the people who did run into trouble) should've just kept quiet and muddle on.

Cuz, you know, it's only a system software upgrade. Who gives a toss if it isn't perfect, as long as it works for most of the time? And really, what does Nokia care about people complaining? After all, they already bought the things, so stuff 'em, right?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Just a note, if you are unsure about space,

mkdir /media/mmc2/cache/apt/archives
rm /var/cache/apt/archives
ln -s /media/mmc2/cache/apt/archives /var/cache/apt/archives

(It's a little trick I learnt from http://mariusv.wordpress.com/2008/05...sant-surprise/ when installing *everything* (a total chinook to diablo install ))

@Saturn

[s]Dunno why using qole's chroot scripts is an requirement.[/s]. (Thanks Bundyo!)
If you are root and mounted mtdblock4 on /debian,
just run "chroot /debian"
good advice but should be

Code:
mkdir -p /media/mmc2/cache/apt/archives
mv /var/cache/apt/archives/* /media/mmc2/cache/apt/archives
rmdir /var/cache/apt/archives
ln -s /media/mmc2/cache/apt/archives /var/cache/apt/archives
I also use df -h and du -ms /home/user/* to check out what is the culprit. I also use dpkg -l and see if there are applications which I barely use, and uninstall them.

Just uninstalled fennec and xulrunner, helped me a lot

EDIT: In Application manager -> Settings, 'Use MMC to download packages' would download the .deb's in /media/mmc2, right?

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2008-08-12 at 13:59. Reason: added Q

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
it seems that all those that have a broken update have used apt-get rather then app manager. also, have those used the -unlocked package?

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by free View Post
Thanks a lot qwerty12!
I saw this sdk but was not sure that it's safe to use is on the device directly.

So, in case people are also looking for a repository list, here it is (included maemo community, not nokia-official):
I have SDK in there too, and nothing goes broken, but its not wise to do this.

I have unlocked too, but was in the blue pill mode (the normal one right? woops, am not a matrix fan :P). I didn't use APT CLI to upgrade, I used the GUI. A few times I got an error about dependancies but I think later it was fixed.

Also, notice
Code:
deb http://catalogue.tableteer.nokia.com/updates/diablo-1/ ./
Is updated _to_ this during this install. The -1 is added after /diablo and there is no more 404 error when doing apt-get update.

My software version is still the old one, but I think the upgrade is complete because I have newer microb, newer modest, and the device still runs. Maybe it is because I installed a 3rd party kernel.

I'm pretty sure Nokia would like to hear about problems and feedback. Maybe, a summary of the problems experienced is a good idea. My issue is that I never know how people have modified their device. Maybe 3rd party packages should go in /usr/local or something? Or /opt? Besides that, the main issue is the out of space problem.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by tso View Post
it seems that all those that have a broken update have used apt-get rather then app manager. also, have those used the -unlocked package?
No, they haven't.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
...it now randomly decides to wipe the input area clear and dump letters (or other characters) at the cursor position....
It is there before the upgrade. I ran into it twice, both were using the search function on itT forum, I thought it has to do with the itT site/search and I did not think more about it.

bun

Posts: 134 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ New Jersey
When will I learn to do a backup before accepting the next upgrade? Oh I know... NOW (too late, though)
MP3: Insignia NS-DV4G or IT/Canola

Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
EDIT: In Application manager -> Settings, 'Use MMC to download packages' would download the .deb's in /media/mmc2, right?
That's a _very_ useful addition to the application manager (it wasn't there in OS2007). Downloading packages strains the built-in flash filesystem much more than usual, because the packages are already compressed. Thus the built-in compression in the jffs2 filesystem doesn't get to do its usual efficient compression (which normally makes the built-in filesystem absorb much more data than one should think). Quite the opposite actually. So it would be much better to use that setting and get the packages downloaded to the card instead of to the limited built-in flash.

Ok, i installed the Operating System Update that showed up when I went into red pill mode. I assume that was the latest upgrade, it rebooted the system and all that stuff, but when I went to about it still shows 23-14 as the build.

Anything wrong here?
Nokia n810 Diablo
(After many years of Palm and Windows PDAs)
"So Shut Up, Live, Travel, Adventure, Bless, And Don't Be Sorry." - Jack Kerouac

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
That's a _very_ useful addition to the application manager (it wasn't there in OS2007). Downloading packages strains the built-in flash filesystem much more than usual, because the packages are already compressed. Thus the built-in compression in the jffs2 filesystem doesn't get to do its usual efficient compression (which normally makes the built-in filesystem absorb much more data than one should think). Quite the opposite actually. So it would be much better to use that setting and get the packages downloaded to the card instead of to the limited built-in flash.
hmm, app manager settings. only way to access those are via red pill

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:

Tags
browser, email, microb, modest, os2008, ssu, stability, update