OK. I am about to re-invent the wheel. I installed Garnet and the base appls seem to work quite well. The small screen format sucks but it is tolerable...for now. What I'd really like to try to do is to synch the PIM data within Garnet with my Ubuntu laptop. Anyone have a clue or a pointer? I have all the Pilot stuff loaded on the laptop from Synaptic and so far no luck getting it to work. Going to look and see if there is a Hotsynch implementation for Linux...

KPilot should work, in principle. Or Jpilot. Or even the low-level pilot-link tools. I have all of them installed, but can't test at the moment because my linux laptop isn't on a network visible by the wi-fi I connect to from my N800.

Well, not having much luck with the gnome pilot stuff. Installed the visor module (which appeared to be a gotcha). But I cannot get Linux to talk to the N800. Trying mostly over the net. I can see the n800 trying to talk to the Linux box (using Wireshark) but no response.

Clearly looks like the N800 is trying to establish a session with the Linux box. There are no networking problems to worry about so I believe it is a problem with the Linux config (or missing piece of software?). Also, I am not sure exactly what functions I should configure on each end. For example, what I remember from Palm for Synching was the user's name was required. That does not seem to be input-able on the N800 in Garnet. But it is required along with a PDA ID in the gnome-pilot initial config for the pda device to be synched.

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Colorado, USA
I have been able to sync palm apps to Linux over network partially. I am running Ubuntu Feisty and using gnome-pilot. When I initiate hotsync from gvm, gnome-pilot pops up sync window, displays sync progress and closes once sync completes. This happens too quickly for me to read much on sync progress window. I set gnome-pilot to copy data from evolution to palm (gvm in this case). After the sync I still do not see any data on gvm. I think I have mismatched sync IDs.

Check your settings on gnome-pilot and hotsync settings on gvm. It seems to work on my system atleast.

OK. So on Linux gnome-pilot wants me to configure the owner, the ID a name for the device which I assume is the n800 name? and I select to synch over the network (I specify. Not sure what ID to use either...

On the N800/GVM, the only thing to configure is the IP address of the Linux box in the Hotsync window. Am I missing something?

I am on 7.04 also and using the latest 2007 OS release.

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Colorado, USA
I used the N800 name in gnome-pilot I had given during initialization. Now that I think about it, maybe I should use the name reported by "hostname" on N800. For numeric ID, I simply chose a number and let gnome-pilot assign that to gvm. gnome-pilot claimed it assigned the id successfully. After this, I simply had to hit hotsync on gvm and gnome-pilot seems to be sync'ing.

Tags
garnet, palm