Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Why do you expect $700 in the US when the US price is listed at $479?
Makes his request for two free tablets from Nokia *NOW* make that much more sense, doesn't it?

Originally Posted by phi View Post
Would you buy the same laptop you bought last year for twice the price just because it is a little bit smaller, came with a few extra peripherals and lost an expansion port as well?
You just described a Mac Book product refresh.

I all honesty I do agree with the sentiment. Given that so much of the underlying hardware is the same, it's hard to swallow the $80 premium. The understandable increases in cost are bound to have been made up for by the cost savings since the n800 initially listed.

But, as usual, price isn't being set by cost, but by willingness to pay.
In fact, most times willingness to pay leads to target price bands which are used to dictate costs.

The $480 price looks more like market research than a result of increased cost.

Posts: 144 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Niles IL...Chicago born and raised.
$479 for such a device is nuts!...I don't see where/why people are saying that it's too much. In the past people endlessly *****ed about the lack of a keyboard. Here you go. GPS? here you go...

N800 - $350...let's just round...
Navkit - $180...do the math.

Although I would love nothing more than to pay less for this device, I think $479 is reasonable. My 2 cents of course.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Come on. You guys have to know that including the slider keyboard alone wasn't done cheaply.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
I'm not complaining. A buddy of mine's been very interested in the tablets since I talk about my N800 all the time. If I get the N810 discount from Nokia, he'll buy it for me and I'll ship him my old N800. I think it's a pretty good deal for us both.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
I am not sure I like the design. I do not like having to pull the keyboard out to use DPAD. Am I the only one who finds this a design flaw?

Are there any (pictures) side by side comparisons out here yet n800/n810

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I am not sure I like the design. I do not like having to pull the keyboard out to use DPAD. Am I the only one who finds this a design flaw?

Are there any (pictures) side by side comparisons out here yet n800/n810
If you are a very heavy d-pad user, I can understand it, but the whole point of having a touchscreen is to avoid using a d-pad anyways. I rarely touch the d-pad and mainly use my stylus or fingertips, so it's not too much of a pain for me.

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Probably not in the right thread... but how about this crazy idea: Instead of having a physical HW-keyboard in slide out tray, what if there is another touch screen? The function of this second screen is to be the virtual keyboard, as well as secondary function as a touchpad to replace the mouse (as seen in laptops). The function of the screen between keyboard/touchpad maybe can be accomplished with a single mode button somewhere...

The secondary screen does not need to be very high resolution, something like 320x120 might be enough... it can be even black&white!. If this (the mouse part) works well then the main screen would not even need to be touch screen!

Now... waiting for your comments about how crazy I'm when suggesting this...

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Probably not in the right thread... but how about this crazy idea: Instead of having a physical HW-keyboard in slide out tray, what if there is another touch screen? The function of this second screen is to be the virtual keyboard, as well as secondary function as a touchpad to replace the mouse (as seen in laptops). The function of the screen between keyboard/touchpad maybe can be accomplished with a single mode button somewhere...

The secondary screen does not need to be very high resolution, something like 320x120 might be enough... it can be even black&white!. If this (the mouse part) works well then the main screen would not even need to be touch screen!

Now... waiting for your comments about how crazy I'm when suggesting this...
What's the benefit of not just using the fullscreen board on the main touchscreen? If we can get some transparency with that, it'll be perfect.

Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Mara View Post

It is an interesting idea, but the virtue of having hardware buttons is in the tactility and haptic nature of them. If virtual keyboards would be better, then we'd all be using them in our PC's. Of course this is not the case.

I guess the question is that what would the gain be in this?

(By the way, I also belong in the camp who doesn't understand at all the point of the "Optimus keyboard", with displays in each of the buttons. You're not supposed to look at the keyboard, you're supposed to learn where every character/function is and they're supposed to remain static.)