Posts: 161 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ SLO, CA; United States
From time to time I notice that Pulse Audio "sticks" and runs the battery down in a short afternoon. Top/HTop shows that it is pulse audio, and if I put my ear to the speakers I can hear a slight hiss of static. I cannot kill the thread, it just restarts. When this is occurs it usually proceeded by a little double tweet or stutter in the system sound.

Has anyone else noticed this? Upon reboot it is gone, and batter consumption is per normal (which seems to be really good). Any further feedback would be appreciated.

-Thor

Last edited by thorbo; 2010-03-18 at 15:44. Reason: Spelling correction

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Pulseaudio cpu usage after phone call bug (hopefully) fixed in next FW update
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6868

.edit
Look from comments for workaround.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 161 | Thanked: 55 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ SLO, CA; United States
Thanks for the bug link, although I have had this pulseaudio issue both after phone calls, and sometimes where there is no phone call involved at all. That, frankly is the one that troubles me more. None the less, this is good information, and I guess I missed it in my search. Thanks again. -Thor

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bristol, UK
Originally Posted by thorbo View Post
Thanks for the bug link, although I have had this pulseaudio issue both after phone calls, and sometimes where there is no phone call involved at all.
Are you saying that this happens even when you haven't taken phone calls since the last reboot? If that's true then please file a new bug.

Thanks for the bug report and workaround.

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Jakarta, Indonesia
just experienced battery drain caused by pulseaudio
i'm on PR 1.2, installed titans kernel v37 but still on default settings

don't know what triggers it...
the last thing i did before i noticed a battery drain (and conky reported pulseaudio kept on using more than 5% cpu) was playing airport and brain party (both exits normally & without interruptions by calls or anything)

resolved with killall tonegend

unfortunately i haven't been able to reproduce this problem...

i thought this bug was supposed to be resolved in PR 1.2

or maybe this is a new bug??

Originally Posted by adhrie View Post
just experienced battery drain caused by pulseaudio
i'm on PR 1.2, installed titans kernel v37 but still on default settings

don't know what triggers it...
the last thing i did before i noticed a battery drain (and conky reported pulseaudio kept on using more than 5% cpu) was playing airport and brain party (both exits normally & without interruptions by calls or anything)

resolved with killall tonegend

unfortunately i haven't been able to reproduce this problem...

i thought this bug was supposed to be resolved in PR 1.2

or maybe this is a new bug??

I've been trying to keep an eye on pulseaudio also after 1.2. I usually run into it once every 2 weeks.

If it still occurs then its a big "F U" to Nokia software developers as I have to check "top" after every freakin phone call otherwise I'll have a dead battery in a few hours.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 367 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy
i have exactly the same issue.i never had this issue beafore, but now i'm experiencing it often. i have latest cssu stable from a long time. i started to have this issue just few weeks ago. especially after using open media player and cutetube to watch videos. but pulseaudio stuck and cpu usage/battery drain also after phone calls or misscalls. is this bug solved? https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6868 how can i fix the problem?

Bump! No one have this issue of pulseaudio stuck and draining battery after a call on the N900? the bug has been marked as fixed, but on latest cssu stable is still present.

in this thread it seems it happens the same on the N9

the only solution is to kill pulseaudio everytime?

Last edited by gianko; 2014-04-30 at 01:02.

i'd like to make a desktop launcher or a beecon widget to kill pulseaudio with one tap.

tried a launcher.desktop icon like:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=pulseaudiokiller
Icon=icon
Exec=/usr/bin/killall pulseaudio
Type=Application

but not working

how can i execute the killall pulseaudio? because is to be done as root

Maybe i can use Queen Beecon Widget with a command like: osso-x-term -e "root && killall pulseaudio"

but i'm not expert in shell, any suggestions?