Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
[OT]"This video contains content from BBC Worldwide, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."
WTF??? I am in the effing country where effing BBC is based. What copyright grounds? [/OT]
Yeah, I had trouble with it too. I enabled Tor and it played once but then it was blocked again when I tested the link immediately after. Someone should write in to Points of View and tell the Beeb that "worldwide" means something different from what they think it means.

EDIT: Apparently it's blocked everywhere but in the US. Try this link instead:

https://nyc1.unblockvideos.com/index...aIGteGKeqc5pog

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

Last edited by wicket; 2015-10-20 at 01:23.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I sorta liked the OpenPandora; but this just... I can't say that I see this as a replacement for the venerable Nokia N900.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I sorta liked the OpenPandora; but this just... I can't say that I see this as a replacement for the venerable Nokia N900.
painfully, but in context:

With neo900 being at least another year down the road,
and anything else having capacitive screens absent keyboards,
virtually any submission can be a 'possible replacement' for the n900.

This addiction is worse than smoking -
I quit smoking two years ago
but I still use the n900 - I use it exclusively.

I just bit the bullet and ordered Aquaris E5 HD,
but I realize it will never even come close to the utility of the n900

Seeing the Pyra getting nearer to shipping is good.
Perhaps, if nothing else, the design will inspire another step.

My Mods for Wonko's Advanced Clock Plugin:
ISO8601 clock mod and Momental_IST clock mod

Printing your Email with the N900

Last edited by theonelaw; 2015-10-20 at 08:18. Reason: spelling

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to theonelaw For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by theonelaw View Post
...With neo900 being at least another year down the road...
I have the unpopular opinion that the Neo900 is not a device I'd ever put any money, time nor hope into.

No device that's started from these forums has made it out yet despite years of hype or at a price that made sense. I'm quite aware that the Pyra didn't start at TMO/ITT. But Neo900 and that aluminum case that'll never get delivered both started here years ago; neither delivered to the masses yet...

Funny thing, I'd actually see myself using the Pyra more for emulation of older games more than anything else.

But that's me... and that's my largely unpopular (and unrequested) opinion.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
I have the unpopular opinion that the Neo900 is not a device I'd ever put any money, time nor hope into.

No device that's started from these forums has made it out yet despite years of hype or at a price that made sense. I'm quite aware that the Pyra didn't start at TMO/ITT. But Neo900 and that aluminum case that'll never get delivered both started here years ago; neither delivered to the masses yet...

Funny thing, I'd actually see myself using the Pyra more for emulation of older games more than anything else.

But that's me... and that's my largely unpopular (and unrequested) opinion.
I'm not sure what's happening with Estel. There were prototypes, long time ago, but news haven't been heard for a long time. Maybe, CNC milling machine broke down, or something...

Neo900 is active, and publishing news, and they will have proto_v2 soon. They will succeed (or I believe so), despite PayPal's attempts to slow them down.

Pyra is also moving, and they do not have troubles with PayPal. They are selling prototypes already, and will also succeed (that's not the first time for them, unlike Neo900).

I am not into computer games (except chess, and occasionally mahjong), so I see Pyra more like a small laptop, but that's just my opinion.

Best wishes.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
Pyra doesn't have a SIM card slot though - does it?

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
[...].
I have an Openmoko neo1973, three Openmoko Freerunners, a gta04 two N900s (I've had five at various times) and an N950. I have a preorder in for a neo900, and I'll buy a Pyra when they go into full production. I consider myself a supporter of these things. That being said, I don't ever expect to see a successor to the N900. Of all these devices, it was the only one made by a company that had the resources to make a real mobile phone. That's just not something a handfull of people, with a target run of a few thousand devices, can do. These small-run products always have some crazy problem like the Freerunner glamo chip that ends up badly compromising the device. It's not that the engineers are incompetent - they just can't go through 10 prototype cycles, or even get state-of-the-art parts. The neo900 is being made partially from recycled parts from six year old phones! As time goes on, upgrading a 2009 phone to give it 2011 hardware, at huge expense, will make less and less sense - if it really does take another year for the neo900 to go into production, the only market will be people obsessed with privacy, to the extent that they are willing to forgo having a phone with a software ecosystem. I think our community should concentrate on something like supporting SailfishOS on Android hardware. We're just never going to get good handset hardware designed for a gnu/linux phone.

Last edited by Ken-Young; 2015-10-21 at 10:38.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
pretty cool, Not a device to replace n900, but for me anything wud be exciting that is as mobile as a cell phone and is running full fledged Linux with options to install any distribution. price shud be reasonable though, which doesn't seem to be here as well given the hardware.

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by NokiaFanatic View Post
Pyra doesn't have a SIM card slot though - does it?
it does... it's right on the VERY FIRST post

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I must say, I very much like the idea of Pyra as a mini-laptop but... is it not supposed to be for GAMING?
The last time I checked, which admittedly was not very recently, gaming on Linux was not exactly a big thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
neo n900, pyra handheld