Posts: 362 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Italy, Lombardia
How is HW Rev compatibility ?

I have rev 2101 so no problems for me, but I have read many times in the past that peoples with different hw revision had many problems with u-boot

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fabry For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fabry View Post
How is HW Rev compatibility ?

I have rev 2101 so no problems for me, but I have read many times in the past that peoples with different hw revision had many problems with u-boot
I do not know why there should be problem with HW rev. U-Boot is booted by NOLO as linux kernel. And everyone has one same kernel (eg. one nokia stock) - so no HW rev. differences.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
I don't know why, but there many reports on this forum (and other forums also) of "no booting anymore" after installing u-boot (in particulary Matan's version).

And all peoples with problems have in common that they own a Hw rev different from 2101.

I.e. Matan's version works perfectly on my N900 (rev 2101), but it hangs at "loading/starting kernel" message on some N900 of my friends with different revision (i.e. rev 2204).
And if I remember correctly there was some similar (no boot) problems reported on your first version also

Last edited by Fabry; 2012-01-15 at 17:09.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fabry For This Useful Post:
I don't know why, but there many reports on this forum (and other forums also) of "no booting anymore" after installing u-boot (in particulary Matan's version).

And all peoples with problems have in common that they own a Hw rev different from 2101.

I.e. Matan's version works perfectly on my N900 (rev 2101), but it hangs at "loading kernel" message on some N900 of my friends with different revision (i.e. rev 2204)
Problem can be only with address where to load kernel. Different HW revisions has different NOLO and NOLO can load U-Boot to different addres. And if we load kernel to address space of uboot it can lead to errors (e.g u-boot rewrite kernel or u-boot rewrite itself code...).

But now in U-Boot lowlevel init is assembler code which move u-boot itself to address 0x80008000. Kernel is always loaded to 0x82008000, so it should not rewrite code (max size of kernel and u-boot is 2MB=0x2000000).

But if somebody has problem, please boot kernel with framebuffer included static linked support. It can write some early error logs, which can be usefull...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Ok problems probably have already been fixed in newer version.

So we need only someone which confirm it (of course someone which owns hw rev different from 2101).
There are at least 3 o 4 hw rev, so we need at least 2 o 3 owners that do the test.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fabry For This Useful Post:
I will create tar.gz archive which contains more kernels images in zImage format and config files for bootmenu (for easy testing)

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Archive is ready, see first post.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pali View Post
New U-Boot has 3 packages:

u-boot-bootimg - contains only u-boot binary, nothing more (it is not need for end-users)

u-boot-tools - contains tools:
* u-boot-gen-combined - generate combined images (u-boot with kernel)
* u-boot-update-bootmenu - update bootmenu entries for U-Boot
* mkimage - convert zImage kernel format to uImage (U-Boot format)

u-boot-flasher - contains combined image: u-boot binary with stock PR1.3 kernel. After installation is this image flashed, and replace actual kernel. This package depends on u-boot-tools!

Download & Install (in this order)
[url]http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pali/u-boot-
http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pal...12-1_armel.deb
http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pal...12-1_armel.deb
u-boot-tools requires libc6 >= 2.13 but Maemo has 2.5 ??
"dpkg -i" installs deb package but not configures it

dpkg -i on u-boot-flasher refuses to install because u-boot-tools isn't configured.

u-boot-tools requires libc6 >= 2.13 but Maemo has 2.5 ??
"dpkg -i" installs deb package but not configures it

dpkg -i on u-boot-flasher refuses to install because u-boot-tools isn't configured.
Try again, I updated u-boot-tools package

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Posts: 16 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Magdeburg, Germany
When I use your kernel images from the first post everything works fine, maybe I made a mistake before.

And would it be possible to use another dir for the config files?
Now if you have bootmenu installed along with u-boot you get the same menu items twice while booting.
And if you have the backupmenu entry in the dir the 'u-boot-update-bootmenu' command fails.

Tags
bootmenu, u-boot