Posts: 61 | Thanked: 90 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bushey, Herts, UK.
It seems T-Mobile UK are following the trend and reducing the monthly FUP for internet to 500MB.

There is confusion still as not many people have received notice yet, and the T-Mobile statement isn't too clear as to who it affects.

Having only joined T-Mobile in November after canceling with Vodafone over their FUP debacle I'm not impressed.

Probably off to GiffGaff soon then.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwertyberty For This Useful Post:
I recieved this notice via text so I can definitely tell you it affects customers on pay monthly contracts and on the unlimited internet flexiable booster as this is what, I am on and quiite franlky this is a p*** take, It is not unlimited just because they don't expect users to exceed the current 2GB fair usage policy in a month but I can tell you right now they do including myself and this change will become in effect on the 2nd of February for UK customers and dropping this to 500MB just takes the mick. If anyone is thinking of joining T-Mobile don't! There service is degrading faster then I breath.

Last edited by geekygenes; 2011-01-11 at 12:13.

The Following User Says Thank You to geekygenes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
I heard the same on the register yesterday. T-mobile only kept me on with an unlimited 'data' promise as well.

But web browsing on the N900 is appalling for me anyway, so I rarely use it.

Anti-Nokia Ambassador

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
I moved to t-mobile from 3 in the summer, mainly so I could get an N900 on a contract. I currently have 1GB a month, not too happy at the prospect of it dropping down to 500MB.

When I got the daughter a new N8 at christmas as an upgrade on 3, they dropped the internet on the new contract down to 500MB, so I guess that all the mobile networks are heading the same way.

At least t-mobile are still saying that you will get free browsing and email if you go over the FU allowance. 3 starts charging quite heavily once you hit the limit.

It may improve matters. T-mobile has been rubbish for the last couple of months, downloads keep failing etc.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 90 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bushey, Herts, UK.
I have a flexible internet booster included in my plan with a FUP of 1GB.
I know going over this now doesn't mean i'll be charged, just that the speed will be throttled.

But according to this statement from Feb only browsing and email will be allowed over and above the new 500MB limit, not data downloading.
-Will app manager updates be subject to this ?
-Do attachments on forums count as browsing or downloading ?

I'm none too savvy on internet definitions, but is it this easy to split browsing and downloading activities on the web.

It's ridiculous.

Well I found a way to still download more or less by installing the FlashGot addon to Firefox and then restart as usual after installing the addon and right click the download link and then click on FlashGot link, This works for most thngs as it uses wget

Last edited by geekygenes; 2011-01-11 at 22:37.

Originally Posted by qwertyberty View Post
I have a flexible internet booster included in my plan with a FUP of 1GB.
I know going over this now doesn't mean i'll be charged, just that the speed will be throttled.

But according to this statement from Feb only browsing and email will be allowed over and above the new 500MB limit, not data downloading.
-Will app manager updates be subject to this ?
-Do attachments on forums count as browsing or downloading ?

I'm none too savvy on internet definitions, but is it this easy to split browsing and downloading activities on the web.

It's ridiculous.
Yep. Everything counts, even your emails.
On a side note, the statement could be misleading by using the term "Downloading". When you browse the web you also "Upload" data. My data counter tells me I've received 458MB of data so far, there's also a "Sent" reading as well 53.5MB. I'm pretty sure networks combine the two amounts, so to them I've used 511.5MB of data which is chargeable to my account.
At this stage I would seek clarification on the statement.

Also with the advent of full web browsing capabilities of handsets these days the networks can't cope. Their infrastructure is still based around the antiquated WAP that was introduced when we were using 1.5inch monochrome LCD screens, and I don't think they've invested much since then.

Don't get me wrong, I find the no charge after going over the fair usage a good thing.
But I find they are taking things a bit drastic.

humm doesnt sound very good, t-mobile business module was perfect, if they going along the road of others like vodafone, orange, etc then they will certainly piss off some happy customers, if this is truly changing i'm going to try to get out of my contract, as free unlimmited internet was part of the reason i got a t-mobile contract in first place.

which magazine is looking into this:
http://conversation.which.co.uk/mobi...ge-allowances/

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Seriously, is that even legal. That's a major revamp of the contract, IMO. For the very least you should be able to terminate without any extra fees and just pay off your phone.

A healthy reminder for me to not to move to UK.