Notices

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Maecount is a bit of an odd one but developed pretty much for RevdKathy! (With no sheep this time, but it does involve wool!).

Whilst i was getting frustrated with QT 2 nights ago, Kathy asked on twitter for a simple counter to assist with Knitting(i think), and we've ended up with this!

About 30 lines of code, in qtmobility

You can set a maximum for each counter, then hit the + button to increment each counter. (Load/Save do nothing at the moment)
New, will technically reset it all and start with 0's.

No idea what it will look like in extras-devel, as i've not figured out how to package it, i owe MohammadAG a huge thanks for that

V0.5 is in extras-devel now (Or will be very very shortly). I will await further interesting annecdotes, update requests, bugs etc! Enjoy!
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Nice!

I have a strange fondness for counting apps on the N900 after having used the one on Ovi during a census of our photo collection at work (turns out we have over 2.6 million)..

IMO the most important feature for a counting app is some kind of feedback when the increment button is pressed -- a small haptic-type vibration and sound (ideally configurable for one/both/neither).

What would be really cool is if this feedback gradually increased in intensity as counts of 5 (or 10, or some configurable number) were reached so that it was easy to follow along with the count in one's head.

The app also needs to be able to save progress, but it looks like you're providing for that at some point.

Finally.. it needs the ability to subtract from the count as well -- useful for the odd unwanted finger-twitch here and there

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingley Joe For This Useful Post:
ooo two very good ideas!
I keep forgetting the first, as i already have haptic feedback turned on - but i can easily kick in the vibrator a bit

and could very very easily implement a smaller subtract all button
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Well, the devel version doesnt download properly, and using wget installs it fine but it wont run - if anyone has a miraculously straight forward set of packaging instructions, please let me know!

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
apt-get reports an error with size-missmatch.
I don't know why. The packages page says:

Size:
17584 bytes
MD5sum:
445952e9c66fb1d84280b902aab8f11e

but the package is 17586 bytes size.

And some more observations:

-the maecount.desktop file contains windows linebreaks :-)
-the the "Exec" entry names only "maecount" but not the path
-and your executable isn't named maecount but MaeCount

hope this helps.

Nicolai

The Following User Says Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
Mo is in the process of fixing it - unfortunatley i can't package it!
he said in irc he has just sroted it, so expecting a version to work coming soon!

Wow, he's quick! Thanks MohammadAG!
MaeCount 0.5.2 is in extras devel! - just installed and it is working!

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Johannesburg, South Africa
Originally Posted by nicolai View Post
apt-get reports an error with size-missmatch.
I don't know why. The packages page says:

Size:
17584 bytes
MD5sum:
445952e9c66fb1d84280b902aab8f11e

but the package is 17586 bytes size.

And some more observations:

-the maecount.desktop file contains windows linebreaks :-)
-the the "Exec" entry names only "maecount" but not the path
-and your executable isn't named maecount but MaeCount

hope this helps.

Nicolai
Hi Guys,

How do you package an application for Maemo? Is there any program that I could use? I have access to both an Ubuntu 10.10 and a Windows 7 machine. The .deb files that QtCreator creates cant be installed on the N900 as it gives me an error - Package cannot be installed.

Can anyone help in this regard?

The Following User Says Thank You to sting04 For This Useful Post:
Hehe if i could tell you i woulda packaged maecount myself - pop on irc and ask Mohammadag - every guide i read is rubbish (including our wiki!) - so if by any chance you figure it out - pleeeeeeeeeease write it in simple language for us all to understand!!!

hi

maybe

- customizable labels to save value under that name
- saveable countsessions with custom counters
- option save per date/per session. maybe as .cvs.
- increase when clicked on label/value

The Following User Says Thank You to sethkha For This Useful Post:

Tags
counter, knitting, maecount