Notices

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 1,700 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Cambridge, MA, USA
A new version of the orrery app for the N900 has been uploaded to Extras Testing. This new version can display information about every lunar eclipse occurring from 1999 BC until 3000 AD - more than 12,000 eclipses. It will produce a page for any eclipse listing details about the visibility of the eclipse at your location. One such page is shown below, for an observer in Cambridge MA, USA:

Details about this new page are available here.

If you enjoy this program, please consider voting for it in the Extras Testing QA here.

Last edited by Ken-Young; 2012-05-27 at 05:56. Reason: Changed repository name to Extras Testing

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post:
I can specify any date interval but always get an empty list/no list.
This is for a location in Europe, Austria. I don't think there really are no eclipses in the next 10 years?

The Following User Says Thank You to rm53 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Same for me.
Even selecting penumbral, deselecting "only visible here" and a time frame of 30 years does not bring any list.

Shame on me.
It works nicely. Thanks.

The second button is hard to see
So all. Press rebuild list and then press below text "Click here" (it is a button ).

@ken_young
may I ask for a more visible button here?
I love this application. Thank you very much.

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2012-05-28 at 20:06.

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rm53 View Post
I can specify any date interval but always get an empty list/no list.
This is for a location in Europe, Austria. I don't think there really are no eclipses in the next 10 years?
There are always two or three lunar eclipses per year, and over a ten year period it is impossible that there would be a location for which no eclipse would be visible. Sounds like I have a bug! Could you tell me the exact city or lat/long you are using, along with the values of the other settings on the selection page you are using? I certainly tested the code on some cities in Europe and Asia, and it worked for me.

When I select Vienna, Austria, and ask for all eclipses visible from there, I get the list

2012-11-28 Penumbral
2013-04-25 Partial
2013-10-18 Penumbral
2015-09-28 Total
2016-09-16 Penumbral
[...]

Also, can you check if the file
/opt/maemo/usr/share/orrery/lunarEclipseCannon
exists on your phone? That's the eclipse database, and it should have a size of 470496 bytes.

Thanks for your help in tracking this problem down!

Last edited by Ken-Young; 2012-05-28 at 20:20.

Thank you very much Ken-Young, really this is one of the best programs the N900 have and you keep adding stuff.

Already have the votes (thanks to the people votes) to go to Extras, just waiting the quarantine ends.

Greetings.

The Following User Says Thank You to s4br0s0 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Ken-Young View Post
... I certainly tested the code on some cities in Europe and Asia, and it worked for me.

Thanks for your help in tracking this problem down!
Sorry, I just missed the button like Peterleinchen noted.
This button is really hard to see, and I did not expect to have to press another button anyway...
so in short, I get the list and it works. Thank you!

The Following User Says Thank You to rm53 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rm53 View Post
Sorry, I just missed the button like Peterleinchen noted.
This button is really hard to see, and I did not expect to have to press another button anyway...
so in short, I get the list and it works. Thank you!
Well, I guess this is a case of bad UI design, then. I'll try to figure out a way to make the button more prominent.

In the mean time, I have updated the wiki page (which is now so lengthy, nobody will ever read it) to try to make the UI operation clearer.

Last edited by Ken-Young; 2012-05-29 at 00:10.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ken-Young For This Useful Post: