Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I have to say I've never had an experience like bac522's after countless visits to several CompUSAs in our area. The most pushy salespeople in my personal experience are at Best Buy-- where they are beyond annoying.

Has an official closure count (4, 100 or otherwise) been published?

Originally Posted by tableteer View Post
This is not good news since I just bought my n800 week ago with an extended warranty from Compusa. Hopefully they are not going out of business.
Yea, they can close the shop after my warranty ran out, not before.

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ California
The word is 128 CompUSA stores are closing now. It probably is true, because the CompUSA location finder now only shows 100 stores (when they used to have 200+ stores listed). My guess is if the store isn't on the list, then the it is being closed.

CompUSA Locations

It sounds like their broad strategy is to pull out of markets where there are other similar (but better) stores and only target markets where there are no other stores. Thats right, they intend to compete by NOT COMPETING.

Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
It sounds like their broad strategy is to pull out of markets where there are other similar (but better) stores and only target markets where there are no other stores. Thats right, they intend to compete by NOT COMPETING.
I realize you're probably being sardonic Rocket, but I like that strategy. I am constantly amazed when competitors move next door to each other with the intent of carving up territory instead of finding niches where they can have it all (or most). Lowe's and Home Depot are a prime example.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I realize you're probably being sardonic Rocket, but I like that strategy. I am constantly amazed when competitors move next door to each other with the intent of carving up territory instead of finding niches where they can have it all (or most). Lowe's and Home Depot are a prime example.
I don't know all the details because I'm not a math / business major (I prefer dead things, archaeology), but there is a problem with 2 ice cream vendors on a beach.

Whole beach is 1 mile long. 2 vendors. They set up in the middle, and make more money with their stands next to each other, than if they're stands were on opposite ends of the beach. Has to do with lines, waiting and selection. Vendor 1's line is too long, so people go vendor 2 who has the shorter line. Vendor 1 carries a couple of things vendor 2 doesn't, vice versa. At least that's how it was explained to me, or close enough.

slashdot has an article up on this now, pointing to this page: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...2099068,00.asp

saying more than half their stores (126 out of 225 stores).

Posts: 84 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2006 @ California
Why doesn't Nokia sell the N800 in all of the stores that carry Nokia phones? The distribution channels should already be setup, so you would think that it can be easily done.

Originally Posted by rattis View Post
I don't know all the details because I'm not a math / business major (I prefer dead things, archaeology), but there is a problem with 2 ice cream vendors on a beach.

Whole beach is 1 mile long. 2 vendors. They set up in the middle, and make more money with their stands next to each other, than if they're stands were on opposite ends of the beach. Has to do with lines, waiting and selection. Vendor 1's line is too long, so people go vendor 2 who has the shorter line. Vendor 1 carries a couple of things vendor 2 doesn't, vice versa. At least that's how it was explained to me, or close enough.
I get the scenario, but IMO it's too simplistic to be completely relevant for modern retail... especially in cases where the product mix doesn't differ enough to support that scenario and where customers (like myself) don't really care as much about brands as we do value and service.

Originally Posted by tabletfan View Post
Why doesn't Nokia sell the N800 in all of the stores that carry Nokia phones? The distribution channels should already be setup, so you would think that it can be easily done.
Which stores? The tablets are in Nokia's own outlets, and carriers will NOT sell these wifi devices. There was some rumoring that T-Mobile might, but that hasn't manifested and they would certainly be the odd duck.