Active Topics

Has anyone been able to connect to internet via iPhone 's Blue tooth???
I just got my N810 and was able to pair the 2 devices but them when I go to connect it never does. Maybe I am missing a step??

Thanks
Connie

You won't be able to (easily). Apple limited the iPhone's bluetooth capabilities. (You can't use it as a modem without using some hacks). Which means jailbreaking it and such.

http://lifehacker.com/software/featu...top-327066.php

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
AFAIK the iPhone does not support a number of somewhat important protocols in the bluetooth stack.

DUN/SPP is among them [Dial Up Networking] which is, generally, the most used network protocol. I gather this is what you are attempting to do with bluetooth via the iPhone, no? This is likely the trouble you are encountering.

Alas, the iPhone also doesn't support A2DP and OBEX which I suspect is likely a bit of a disappointment for some users as well.

Originally Posted by azemute View Post
AFAIK the iPhone does not support a number of somewhat important protocols in the bluetooth stack.

DUN/SPP is among them [Dial Up Networking] which is, generally, the most used network protocol. I gather this is what you are attempting to do with bluetooth via the iPhone, no? This is likely the trouble you are encountering.

Alas, the iPhone also doesn't support A2DP and OBEX which I suspect is likely a bit of a disappointment for some users as well.
WTH?

Why in heaven's name would you even bother putting bluetooth into that device then????

Grrr.. Apple impressed me when they made their new OS based on a Unix base.. but they've since just been completely annoying me to death with their closed and microsoft-esque "use only our crap" mentality.

Seriously.. bluetooth without OBEX or DUN.. Why bother?
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The lack of A2DP is a surprise too, considering the iPhone's music player heritage. A lot of people would be buying it to play music, and A2DP is AFAIK the most common standard for wireless stereo headphones.

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
WTH?

Why in heaven's name would you even bother putting bluetooth into that device then????

Grrr.. Apple impressed me when they made their new OS based on a Unix base.. but they've since just been completely annoying me to death with their closed and microsoft-esque "use only our crap" mentality.

Seriously.. bluetooth without OBEX or DUN.. Why bother?
A very good question. The only answer that even begins to make sense (to me) is with the intent to implement some stuff (A2DP, maybe OBEX) later, in newer firmware. DUN is gone; presumably a concession to AT&T, in which case it's probably never coming. A2DP should be there, of course; it's the phone that's an iPod, right?! so if they couldn't get it ready in time for firmware 2, it does make the state of NIT support much more understandable If they simply are refusing to implement it... <headshake /> I totally don't get it.

That's what really surprised me about the iPhone (and one of my greatest annoyances about it besides the app store being the only "correct" way of getting applications). Of course if I ever got an iPhone I'd have to jailbreak it.

Though I suppose they put bluetooth in the phone for the same reason most cell phone manufacturers do. HSP (hands free calling thru headset). My cell phone only has that and Obex, while if I look at my mom's (similar model, just higher on the price chain with a better camera and an mini sd slot) has full bluetooth support (ftp and everything).

But I think you can get networking working if you jailbreak it though. At least, that's what I've read.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
You won't be able to (easily). Apple limited the iPhone's bluetooth capabilities. (You can't use it as a modem without using some hacks). Which means jailbreaking it and such.

http://lifehacker.com/software/featu...top-327066.php

Well that sucks the big weenie!!! Looks like I might be lucky to find some hotspots to be able to get to the net..I am very disapointed..
OK how about this..I have a broardband card on my laptop that I use to access the net. Is there anyway to tap into that to get to the web?? Unfortunately I moved about a year ago and they still do not have DSL or cable moden in my area. I had Satelitte internet but it was just to expensive and slow.

whatever your OS.. you should have the capability of sharing the internet connection from the broadband card across a wireless network (ad-hoc) and connect your N810 to that...

Or you might get experimental and see if you can get a USB 2 PCMCIA adapter to put the card into and get linux to work with it.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
my guess:

at2p, no clue. but it could very well that jobs dont like the sound of music via that system. people keep claiming that ipod has the best sound, and to get the best sound one need a good wired headset so...

obex, not gonna happen. at best your looking at a special protocol over the serial bus profile that only itunes can talk. if you want to put something on or take something of the iphone, you have to go thru itunes.

dun/pan, again forget it. that is unless it becomes very popular with crackberry addicts that also need a tether for their laptops while on the road. but at that point, at&t and friends can just as well sell the user a expresscard "modem" and accompanying plan.

but thats me being norwegian, and seeing people from usa write about having to have the operator activate a special tethering plan makes me shake my head in disbelief.

and now a phone thats basically custom made for the us market have started to show up here, and people are hailing it as gods gift to mobile phone users. give me a freaking break...

the only interesting thing about it is the choice of touch sensor...