Active Topics

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
Does anyone know how to launch a 2nd session of osso-xterm from a osso-xterm session? You would think typing osso-xterm or osso-xterm.launch would work, but it doesn't.

I would like to create a script that will open xterm in full screen before running some commands.
Apple 68k Mac: Basilisk II
Commodore 64: Frodo
Palm OS: Access GarnetVM
TI-89 Calculator: TiEmu 2

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Man, you live on the bleeding edge!

No answer here though, sorry... just smartass remarks.

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
a related question: i can get an xterm to come up from the statusbar applet, wossitsname, but I cannot find any way to get it to run something. The regular unix xterm takes a cmdline argument giving it something to run, but osso-xterm doesn't seem to. any ideas?

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
What are you trying to run and where are you trying to run it from?

Note:
  1. Make sure the file has execute permissions: $chmod +x file
  2. Files on SD cards are not (normally) allowed to run. Copy the file to your / file system (i.e. /home/user).
  3. Don't forget the ./ for running a file in the working directory.
Apple 68k Mac: Basilisk II
Commodore 64: Frodo
Palm OS: Access GarnetVM
TI-89 Calculator: TiEmu 2

Posts: 110 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
hi, thanks for that...

I'm trying to run /usr/bin/battery-status from the Graph Plugin thing. Not sure that's it's real name, but that's what it reports itself as. Ah, mebbe osso-statusbar-cpu?

Obviously, battery-status is a cmdline application, so it needs to run inside an xterm.

Any ideas? ta much...

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
Strange, try the full path.

When I'm ssh'd into my tablet from a remote computer, running /usr/bin/osso-xterm will bring up the terminal [on the tablet it's self]. It'll give me a second xterm if there's one open already, too.

*edit: you're right though, running osso-xterm from within a terminal will not launch a new terminal, interesting.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Can't confirm your observation. In my hands, when within an open osso-xterm session I digit osso-xterm [return], a new osso-xterm session is opened. OS 2008 (version 50) on n810.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 20 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Can't confirm your observation. In my hands, when within an open osso-xterm session I digit osso-xterm [return], a new osso-xterm session is opened. OS 2008 (version 50) on n810.
This made me double-check, and now I'm scratching my head. The first few times I tried this, I couldn't get terminals to open from the command line at all; but after closing them all down and starting again, I could open as many as I wanted. Though in some cases, some terminals [the new ones opened] were unable to launch new terminals, but others had no such limitation.

In any case, I never bothered to see how many instances were running , so it could have just been the window manager not admitting to the fact more than one window was open.

The Following User Says Thank You to azemute For This Useful Post: