Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Mer for Nokia 770, Nokia N800, Nokia N810, and X86, version 0.6

Information about Mer can be found at http://wiki.maemo.org and release information and released files on [url]http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/Releases/0.6[url].
I also has a list of known issues so please read them through first before installing.

For x86 there's both a filesystem tar.gz, and a VDI (VirtualBox appliance), for N8x0 both installer, tar.gz, and jffs2 + kernel images.

There's a friendly installer made by b-man for N8x0 as well, so people can try it out without having to reflash their tablets.

This release is mainly for very early adopters and hence you shouldn't expect too much of it.

THIS RELEASE IS ONLY FOR YOU IF:

* You know how to connect your tablet to your computer using usb networking if need be (for tablet version)
* You know what CTRL-ALT-F1 does on a traditional Linux box (for x86 version)
* You're not using clone-to-SD (unless you know how to make a bootmenu item for it) (for tablet version)
* You know how to figure out your tablets wi-fi IP on your wireless network, and how to SSH into it. (tablet version)

It is not a complete mobile OS like Maemo, yet, but it is a good way to start getting into Mer development and contributing to it, so we can make it a complete OS. Next release is 1st February 2009 (0.7)

A screenshot of current state (Mer 0.6/x86 on Virtualbox):

If you would like to help out with Mer (in any way), read through http://wiki.maemo.org/Mer/Sprints , and perhaps come hang out with us on IRC, #maemo on irc.freenode.net

Another screenshot (Mer 0.6 on N810), screenshot by meizirkki:

Thanks to all the people participating in Mer to get this release through: johnx, Meizirkki, r2d2rogers, qwerty12, wazd, zenvoid, b-man, Andrewfblack, etc. And of course thanks to Nokia for all the open source components, which without this project would not be possible.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2009-01-22 at 00:58.

The Following 40 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Installed, and the important things working!
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Ubuntu-help-centre is working - looks cool

My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Posts: 94 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Bangkok, Thailand
I'm getting a CRC error when unzipping mer-x86-generic-image-v0.6.vdi.zip using unzip or 7a. Using md5sum on the zip file, I get the following:

billt@darkside:~/Download$ md5sum mer-x86-generic-image-v0.6.vdi.zip
b5998d470f56dba1aec6f2a4f703ba70 mer-x86-generic-image-v0.6.vdi.zip

Am using Ubuntu 8.10 with 2-GB system RAM.

Can anyone help?

thaibill

The Following User Says Thank You to thaibill For This Useful Post:
Posts: 109 | Thanked: 196 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Guatemala
Maybe it's time for a new Mer subcategory for easy follow...

Originally Posted by thaibill View Post
My md5sum on my side is 8c142b2bc4670a6644e85ec3806096ee, i'll try and reupload and see if it helps :P
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Posts: 1,070 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by thaibill View Post
I'm getting a CRC error when unzipping mer-x86-generic-image-v0.6.vdi.zip using unzip or 7a. Using md5sum on the zip file, I get the following:

Am using Ubuntu 8.10 with 2-GB system RAM.

Can anyone help?

thaibill
It worked for me yesterday, I only got some VirtualBox errors due to missing packages .

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VDVsx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 43 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Vienna
Just curious but does Mer support/feature the a2dp fixes (read no extreme CPU usage) ?

Originally Posted by Ghostface View Post
Just curious but does Mer support/feature the a2dp fixes (read no extreme CPU usage) ?
We don't even have sound yet But, we have newest Ubuntu bluez, if that might explain your question.

Originally Posted by solca View Post
Maybe it's time for a new Mer subcategory for easy follow...
Mer is debian based.. same as deblet... may as well just use the Debian section.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Tags
mer, mer release